HORSE WILL NOT SETTLE ON NEW YARD

Hotcrossbun

New User
Visit site
Hi. Due to the sale of my old, private yard and it's subsequent closure for liveries, I have moved my 17 year old mare to a new one. It was carefully selected as small and quiet, as I know she wouldn't cope with a big, busy yard. She's always been very chilled out and laid back, but since moving, apart from when she's in the field, she's a bag of nerves and seems to be stuck in "flight" mode on the yard itself or when ridden. We have been there for about seven weeks now and I'm getting concerned for her welfare. I've ordered some calmer to see if that will help her, so it should be delivered on Monday. I've kept her routine the same to try and give her a sense of security. She stresses in the stable and just box walks at speed until I turn her back out. Anyone have any ideas how I can help her to relax?

Chianti

Visit site
I don't know if it's your thing but have you thought of a communicator? I moved my pony to a new yard and he really didn't settle. His personality changed and he became very anxious - reluctant to leave the field and calling when out. The yard wasn't going to work for other reasons and I decided to move back to a previous yard but I'd already arranged for someone to come to see him who'd previously done some healing with him. She said he didn't like the yard because he couldn't see out of it. This was true as we were in a small valley and it did feel quite enclosed. We'd previously been on more open yards.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
realise this thread is 10 days old, but just in case...
is there an alternative yard? I had to move from a yard that I thought ticked all my horse's boxes, because after 6 weeks she had cricked her neck from craning it out of the stable door one way, and was jumping out of the field on a daily basis. soon as we arrived at the next place she visibly relaxed, it just had the right vibes for her.

Buster2020

Visit site
It took my horse 2 months for my horse to settle at a yard my horse screamed for 2 weeks straight . According to the internet it takes some horses 3 months to settle at a yard.