Horse won't load

Paint Me Proud

Visit site
I am having EXACTLY the same problem at the moment.

Chico WILL NOT load.

I have tried lunge line, whips, feed, pressure halters, patience, etc etc, you name it we've tried it, but he just refuses to go on.

He used to load after i paid to have a professional come out and work with him but recently he has just gone backwards and now refuses altogether.

I am using all the techniques the professional showed me but they just dont work anymore.

Totally at a loss as to what to try next, short of getting the professional out again :(

nikCscott

Visit site
Everyone has a different opinion when it comes to loading. Great thing about horses.... if one way doesn't work try something else ;)

For my boy I got him the walk across the ramp side to side without asking him to load at all the first couple of times to start with in a dually (which is a but hit and miss for him as he finds backing up really easy :mad:) but we have a ritual...

...side ways across trailer ramp, then adjust the angle slightly but only put his front feet on, back away bit further, again, again, then straight through. Then i turn him around and load him up the front ramp and out the back do this a few times then whip the breast bar up and next time in ramp up. He'll probably go straight in now but the routine works so for the sake of a feel minutes and some random looks at shows its worth it.

Good luck its easier said than done- do not to lose your temper (i'm the worst) that why for me setting small easy goals of 'i only want him to walk across the ramp today thats all', makes it easier no pressure regular short sessions but upping the bar gradually each time

GOOD LUCK!

Pedantic

Visit site
I had exact same problem, people kept saying make it more inviting, more spacey blah blah, it nothing to do with it, he'd travelled for years no problem, he just didn't want to leave his mates in the field, as much as it pained me, I eventually after lots of patience and trying everything else and seemed to have sorted it, then not, I resorted to a chifney, not what I wanted to do at all, but it was the only thing that sorted it, take's a couple of minutes now to load when required, I would NEVER travel him in it, once loaded changed into headcollar, for coming home I don't always need it, he sometimes loads without it.

R.A.H

Visit site
I have to agree with pedantic on a chifney, it stopped the mine from rearing at the bottom of the ramp and spinning with me

Miss L Toe

Visit site
This might not be of any use to you, but we had a horse that was a bad loader and what worked for him was parking downhill a little so the ramp almost level with the trailer. He wasn't scared of the trailer he was just a stubborn old git. He seemed to enjoy doing the opposite to what you was asking of him.

I am a bit limited as it is not my trailer, a lot will load happpily with a horizontal ramp, but I can't do it.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
I had exact same problem, people kept saying make it more inviting, more spacey blah blah, it nothing to do with it, he'd travelled for years no problem, he just didn't want to leave his mates in the field, as much as it pained me, I eventually after lots of patience and trying everything else and seemed to have sorted it, then not, I resorted to a chifney, not what I wanted to do at all, but it was the only thing that sorted it, take's a couple of minutes now to load when required, I would NEVER travel him in it, once loaded changed into headcollar, for coming home I don't always need it, he sometimes loads without it.

I don't see how a chiffney will help, it is to stop a horse rearing, mine don' t rear he just won't go all the way in to the box.

Beausmate

Visit site
Have you tried backing him up when he pulls back? Goes like this....Lead horse to ramp, horse pulls back, you say ok, go back and back him up a few steps, lead horse towards ramp, horse says no and pulls back, you back him up etc. Don't let him turn, just back and forth. Keep it up, even when he puts his foot on the ramp and wants to go in, back him up, once he's in, back him out again. and keep going until he really doesn't want to come out.

Worked with every horse I've used it on (thank you Mr. Roberts!) even my nervous, opinionated TB. I failed to load him after three hours and countless tantrums, had to move yards and was dreading loading him! Took twenty minutes and he's loaded everytime, first time since. Unloading however....:rolleyes:

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Have you tried backing him up when he pulls back? Goes like this....Lead horse to ramp, horse pulls back, you say ok, go back and back him up a few steps, lead horse towards ramp, horse says no and pulls back, you back him up etc. Don't let him turn, just back and forth. Keep it up, even when he puts his foot on the ramp and wants to go in, back him up, once he's in, back him out again. and keep going until he really doesn't want to come out.

Worked with every horse I've used it on (thank you Mr. Roberts!) even my nervous, opinionated TB. I failed to load him after three hours and countless tantrums, had to move yards and was dreading loading him! Took twenty minutes and he's loaded everytime, first time since. Unloading however....:rolleyes:
I have tried this [as another dozen things] but will have to make it clearer to him. This is all about ground handling, he comes forward, is reluctant to back, and determined not to move sideways. i think I will try this. 20 mins lol

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Everyone has a different opinion when it comes to loading. Great thing about horses.... if one way doesn't work try something else ;)

For my boy I got him the walk across the ramp side to side without asking him to load at all the first couple of times to start with in a dually (which is a but hit and miss for him as he finds backing up really easy :mad:) but we have a ritual...

...side ways across trailer ramp, then adjust the angle slightly but only put his front feet on, back away bit further, again, again, then straight through. Then i turn him around and load him up the front ramp and out the back do this a few times then whip the breast bar up and next time in ramp up. He'll probably go straight in now but the routine works so for the sake of a feel minutes and some random looks at shows its worth it.

Good luck its easier said than done- do not to lose your temper (i'm the worst) that why for me setting small easy goals of 'i only want him to walk across the ramp today thats all', makes it easier no pressure regular short sessions but upping the bar gradually each time

GOOD LUCK!
I tried the small goals approach, it worked, but when I started again I was back to sq one.

MagicMelon

Visit site
I'd just practice every single day, twice a day even. Could you even put the trailer in his field (with all doors open and no partition) and put his feed in it so he has to go in to eat! Otherwise, I'd just practice loads - take everything out of the trailer, open it up and encourage him on with feed. I had one horse who would always stop at the top of the ramp and want to stand there for 5 mins until he decided he'd go in, I used to carry a squeezy bottle of water and squish it at his hind end - it usually surprised him enough he'd go forward! I think the aim is to keep it sweet though, dont go down the nasty route.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
I'd just practice every single day, twice a day even. Could you even put the trailer in his field (with all doors open and no partition) and put his feed in it so he has to go in to eat! Otherwise, I'd just practice loads - take everything out of the trailer, open it up and encourage him on with feed. I had one horse who would always stop at the top of the ramp and want to stand there for 5 mins until he decided he'd go in, I used to carry a squeezy bottle of water and squish it at his hind end - it usually surprised him enough he'd go forward! I think the aim is to keep it sweet though, dont go down the nasty route.
Not practical, he is not in the east frightened, just taking the px
I can't get him to respond to a schooling wwhip, he does not bother about lines, or sprays or shouting or sweets or treats or anything.
I have tried a few temper tantrums [me not him], he is surprised but does not alter his behaviour.

PorkChop

Visit site
Hear what you're saying re crossing of the hindlegs in the RM video, I had one who was exactly the same.

I can only re-iterate that the RM halter may look like the other be-nice halters, but it is different and much stronger.

If you do borrow/buy one they will have enough respect for it that when you turn a tight circle they will move a lot sharper with you and cross the hindlegs. If they do need extra encouragement I find a rope flicked towards the quarters or fetlock works better.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Hear what you're saying re crossing of the hindlegs in the RM video, I had one who was exactly the same.

I can only re-iterate that the RM halter may look like the other be-nice halters, but it is different and much stronger.

If you do borrow/buy one they will have enough respect for it that when you turn a tight circle they will move a lot sharper with you and cross the hindlegs. If they do need extra encouragement I find a rope flicked towards the quarters or fetlock works better.
Yes well I am totally fed up, but I am trying to find out if a RM halter is the best, I mean I can make one!
He does not move away from swinging ropes or reins round the legs or anywhere.
He needs something strong as all the light weight things have not impresssed him. I draw the line at a chiffney as he is not aggressive, in fact he is non aggressive.
Even lungeing he needs two reins to keep control, if I canter him, it takes quite a lot of persuasion, cracking lunge whip and pushing him like mad from the ground, he does not bother with lunge whips round his fetlocks or anything like that, you could say he is lazy, or laid back, but basically he sets the pace!

Last edited:

majors

Visit site
Hi so sorry to hear your problem my only suggestion is a local professional man to come and load for you, take the emotion out of it. I remember having temper tantrums at mine who after 5 years decided he wouldn't load. I have twice seen men very calmly and kindley load big stong horses who knew they could take the mick out of their owners, as they couldn't shift the men they gave up. Mine i cured through time 5 hours and feeling calm that day, twice he threw himself over even thought it was just me a bridle and lunge line. Then we went in and out 10 times and same the next day, but could always be stubborn if he felt like it. I know its hard as not your trailer, but you have tried everything else brute strength night be next, good luck:(

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Actually, I am calm as a fresh cool cucumber, and have also used strong but calm experienced loaders, also left it to several different people who have had loads of experience, no one lost temper, he has had the best of it.
I am a professional, and so were most of his loaders, I used a novice and he had them beat faster than me and the rest!
No one can use brute strength against half a ton of athletic muscle and bone, and I don't see all out aggression as the way forward.

Last edited:

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
When we needed to load our mare (who had not loaded well to be delivered to us)10 yrs or more after her last travel experience) the old farmer friend, whose land she and her mates were going to, brought a piece of blue pipe.
We had a 7 horse horse box for 4, we put them on good loader/bad loader/reasonable loader/good loader. Obviously she had a good loader as a lead then farmer's daughter led the mare (so we didn't put her off) with farmer walking quietly behind, just swinging blue pipe gently - it makes a whistling type of sound. She was never threatened or touched with BP but she knew that it was there and farmer would not be frightened of using it to push her in if necessary. She went up the very steep ramp like a dream and did so again 3 months later when we brought them all home.
I'd hang a haylage net up in the trailer and get a piece of blue pipe.

I will say though that our 1st horse had travelled the return journey Bradford/Blackpool every year for several years and then was delivered to us loose in a box with no partitions. He was not at all sweaty when he arrived and settled down to graze immediately, so did not appear to be at all upset. Whenever we came upon an open horsebox in a farmyard that we often hacked through, he gave it the widest berth possible. He never bothered about any other vehicle, even a grinding dust-bin wagon didn't worry him.
So I can only assume that he was saying very clearly, 'I'm not leaving here'.

Last edited:

Ibblebibble

Visit site
Yes well I am totally fed up, but I am trying to find out if a RM halter is the best, I mean I can make one!
He does not move away from swinging ropes or reins round the legs or anywhere.
He needs something strong as all the light weight things have not impresssed him. I draw the line at a chiffney as he is not aggressive, in fact he is non aggressive.
Even lungeing he needs two reins to keep control, if I canter him, it takes quite a lot of persuasion, cracking lunge whip and pushing him like mad from the ground, he does not bother with lunge whips round his fetlocks or anything like that, you could say he is lazy, or laid back, but basically he sets the pace!

Lazy or laid back? sounds like a very smart boy to me who has you better trained than you have him!!

BethH

Visit site
Hi you have my sympathy, my horses is the twin of yours!!!! He used to load like a poppet but I had to change my lorry chassis and he decided he hated it and would not get on. He is superb with his groundwork and long reins like a dream but just will not load, he will even rear when you just stand on the ramp and swip at you with his front leg with a deliberate miss to prove on this matter is is not moving and is in charge. I am a soft touch but can't bear bad manners in horses and my horse is a wonderful person in every respect to do - except loading!

Unfortunately my lorry was nicked last year so I never got a chance to really persevere (tried only for 2yrs!!!), but loading him was exhausting, I'd be knackered before I even left for a show. I came to the conclusion it perhaps was slight claustrophobia, he was better if you left open the side ramp and jockey door and moved the central partition so he had plenty of room and could see, no amount of lunge lines, schooling whips, be nice halters would do anything other than make him rear and bolt, the dually is best as it releases better than the rope halters whichh used to get stuck so I couldn't release quickly enough. He goes straight through a chiffney, without fail, the most stubborn horse I have ever dealt with in my life and I've had him for 9 long years!!!!!

Pedantic

Visit site
I spent 2.5 hours one day, plus he being a total prat he injured his shoulder slipping, then the next time he pulled his front shoe clean off, they had only been on a day, it had to be a chifney as we had tried everything else and the injuries to him and me just weren't worth it, problem sorted, funny how some people don't take it in when you explain that it isn't to do with fear of loading or travelling and that it's just down to willfullnes and they know how to avoid going on the ramp and in.

mainpower

Visit site
A method I have used with a lot of success for people when I have not got the horse for any length of time to practice with is; Take one very long lunge line, attach to headcollar, take the line into the trailer and thread through tie ring, bring the end out and pass it behind the horse. Start putting a steady pressure on the rope, building it up. The horse will fight itself ie if it pulls back it increases the pressure on the rope around the quarters. Be prepared for the horse to shoot forward into the trailer! It works better with a lorry with loading gates, but if you park up with one side against a wall and you stand to the other side you can keep them straight.
As others have said time training spent is invaluable, but if you only have access to the trailer when you need to travel the horse it can be an invaluable method.

Miss L Toe

Visit site
I can try the rein round bum, but I did this by tying one end to his roller, and pulling, it only made him present to the ramp at an angle. there is no way I can pull him on to the trailer, but I will try.
We tried two reins round bum attached to the trailer, needs three people and was no use.
Again I dont see the chiffney "pulling him on" he does not rear and I don't want to end up with a rearer.
I have the trailer here, but it is not possible to have it in the areana, it is inside the barn at the moment, originally I got him in it when it was in the car park. I don't know why she put it in the barn except that it was easier to get it there. This is where she loads her own ponies.
I do know the horse has the better of me, in some respects, he has always been very difficult, it his his nature to be difficult. But this has occured recently and I think it is due to him being moved so often, not something I wanted to do, but it had to be done.
He does not understand being hit, I really don't think this is the way to go, and I am not a fluffy bunny. I realise it is wilfullness not fear, fear in many ways would be easier to deal with.
We tried belting him and he reared.

Last edited:

Miss L Toe

Visit site
OK thanks to all who replied, just looks like a long road with no turning, tried asking a well known transporter, after a lot of negativity because they wanted to send a lorry, then some other transporters lorry, and being told he must be out of control otherwise I would not be using a control halter, I was told to stable and not feed for 12 hours. I might try that, but then I suspect he will not come in from the field!
I await a response from Richard Maxwell.

partypremier

Visit site
I think I have tried everything that. has been suggested by others with bad loaders over the years.
a last resort that worked with 2 stubborn loaders was to blindfold them. Jumper works you can tie it on with the arms or use a ready-made hood like they use getting racehorses into stalls.
Do it all calmly & keep talking to him may just work

Sarah1

Visit site
I once saw a very petite little lady load a particularly stubborn animal in about 5 minutes flat after it had been refusing every attempt for about 45 minutes (including food & company on the trailer).
She stood the horse directly in front of the ramp, moved him backwards, moved him sideways, forwards, each & every way possible - basically wherever she wanted his feet is where she made sure they went. She did this for about 5 minutes, quickly & continuously, then she turned a few tight circles right in front of the ramp and came out of the last one & walked up the ramp in a very determined manner - horse didn't know what had happened until it was on the trailer! Genius, and no force or fuss at all.
Good luck :)

Annagain

Visit site
This is not exactly conventional (and I bet a few will say it's not safe!) but someone showed me a trick once and it's worked with both my old boy who just like yours was very stubborn and just stood totally passively refusing to move in any direction and with my current one who will go on quite happily but shoot off backwards before you can get the back done up!

Attach a lunge line to the headcollar, thread the lungeline under the breast bar and back to you like a pulley (wear hat and gloves). Stand behind the horse and apply some pressure. Because you're behind him, he can't tell where the pressure is coming from and it confuses him enough for him to react to the pressure without considering other factors (ie counteracting you) From then on the pressure and release principle works - he goes forward, you give a little, he goes backwards, you up the pressure. It's easier for you to resist his strength with a 'pulley' and you can give him a surprise bit of 'persuasion' from behind if you need to as well.

Like I say, I'm sure there are plenty who won't like the sound of it, but it worked with my two who had different reasons for being difficult to load! They both ended up walking on with no issues after using that method for a while.