Horse won't load

Miss L Toe

Visit site
Have you tried backing him up when he pulls back? Goes like this....Lead horse to ramp, horse pulls back, you say ok, go back and back him up a few steps, lead horse towards ramp, horse says no and pulls back, you back him up etc. Don't let him turn, just back and forth. Keep it up, even when he puts his foot on the ramp and wants to go in, back him up, once he's in, back him out again. and keep going until he really doesn't want to come out.

Worked with every horse I've used it on (thank you Mr. Roberts!) even my nervous, opinionated TB. I failed to load him after three hours and countless tantrums, had to move yards and was dreading loading him! Took twenty minutes and he's loaded everytime, first time since. Unloading however....:rolleyes:
WOW this worked, got him in , twenty minutes, tried again in afternoon when he was a bit hungrier, nearly trampled in the rush! Eating out a bucket in trailer, then give him an apple as he unloads.
I did put him in a rope contol halter as soon as I caught him in field, and I will stick to this, he had just lost respect for a halter or anything else.

Elsbells

Visit site
WOW this worked, got him in , twenty minutes, tried again in afternoon when he was a bit hungrier, nearly trampled in the rush! Eating out a bucket in trailer, then give him an apple as he unloads.
I did put him in a rope contol halter as soon as I caught him in field, and I will stick to this, he had just lost respect for a halter or anything else.

Whoop! Well done!

This is the only thing that works for mine too. That still doesn't mean she likes it when she's in there though.:rolleyes:

Valhalla

Visit site
Oh hurray!! I've been reading with increasing doom having had a 2.5hr loading experience at a show today.
My new horse is a slightly nervy type and is more used to lorries (ex polo) than trailers, but had been loading okay, but just getting progressively less keen to actually step into the trailer. I don't think he's actually too worried about the trailer, just would rather not thank you & is working new ways to resist my (extremely patient!!) methods.
He will stand on ramp, even all four feet & then refuse to move. Happily stretches head inside, but if at that point you add any additional pressure from outside (even picking up a stick or lunge) he'll throw head up and back off.

So, spent a good two hours doing walking sideways over ramps (which used to work with him & many other difficult horses I've loaded) used pressure from me & release when he steps forward onto ramp, but could still only get as far as all four on ramp , calmly but quietly telling me to p** off. Tried some pushing him backwards everytime he resisted, which didn't seem to work, but didn't do it continuously enough probably.
In the veeeery long-winded-end of patience end, a lady lent me another lunge (we'd tried a single one around bum & he freaked..a lot) & we tried the scissor action thing of tying it to each side and slowly chaneling him, putting pressure on till he goes forwards. As he's hyper sensitive to 'things' touching his sides and back end (so much so, ive gobe from using a schooling whip to a shorty for now as ANY touch is like an electric shock! *rolls eyes*
He had a bit of a freak the first time a lunge touched him and ran back but we crossed the lines behind him and didn't let off until he went forwards (a bit risky but seemed to work). Anyway, he then walked in quite happily rather than risk the lunge touch him again and was totally calm inside.

I do think that that might not work for a second time, as we may have had the surprise factor (and 2.5 hours of boring him with ramp standing) on our side. I really want him to be able to go in without all that &do it willingly & happily as I will nearly always be alone to load so will definitely put more work into the be-nice idea and Beausmate's seemingly amazeballs method! Here's hoping & thank you from me and Musket! :)))