Horse wormer - I am so baffled!

emilymoran

Visit site
Hi everybody. I'm following on from a previous post regarding worming and I'm still baffled! I've had a WEC test from Westgate Labs come back high for my horse for Redworm. There is no mention of Roundworm so presumably this is not an issue. I am pending the saliva test coming back to tell me what the Tapeworm test results are.

I'm trying to figure out what wormer to use and oh my goodness - what a maze of information! And to top it off I understand there are 3 different types of Redworm (small, large and encysted) and the worming advice for each of these on both Westgate Labs site and other sites (ie viovet) is baffling! So many drugs, do's and don'ts, additional resistance tests etc etc. I started to build a chart for each type of worm and when to test / worm for it etc and I've given up - the advice is too complicated to follow clearly and quite simply I can't see the wood for the trees!

Surely there must be a simpler way of figuring out what to worm and when?

So, let's say the Tapeworm test comes back positive... what would people use to target the Redworm and Tapeworm? And will it cover all of the types of Redworm (small, large, encysted) and roundworm if it needs treating?

Am I over complicating this or do other people get just as confused....??!!!!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Have you treated for encysted small redworm yet this winter? Because they won't show up on your tests so need dosing for anyway. The simplest choice is a tube of equest around now if you haven't given one recently. That will do everything except tape.

If you need to do for tape, equest pramox will do that too. Many people are happy to use it, I don't as there are anecdotes of horses collicking after being given it.
A single dose of equimax or eqvalan duo, or double strongid p will target tapeworm. Personally I do this in the autumn when needed.

If you're confused, I generally find people like Westgate really good at telling you what you need and when based on your test results.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I think your over complicating it. I used to myself.
Basically you HAVE to worm for encysted red now. As above Equest will do that.
Tapes I do earlier in winter, simply because I prefer to do separate tape/encysted, but Pramox will do both.
Fec everything else!
Tape worm should also be done 6 months later. I don’t do this however as if I test in spring they come back clear (unlike winter)
It’s not so hard if you break it down :)

Trouper

Visit site
I agree - have a conversation with Westgate. When I was using them I seem to remember that they would send out a helpful chart on when to worm/test for what.