Horse/yard pet hates

CastleMouse

Visit site
Just a handful - I have so many!

- Stables which aren't mucked out perfectly
- Yards which aren't swept (especially after a horse's hooves are picked out, or after a farrier visit)
- Bridle straps which aren't neatly tucked away - The same goes for girth straps!
- People who wear ties, yet they aren't tied correctly.
- Dirty tack... I just can't stand it!
- People who don't put any effort in turn out when competing!

I have seen people at affiliated dressage shows, generally competing unregistered, turn up with a horse who looks like it has just been brought in from the field. Mane unplaited and scruffy, a not-so-white saddecloth, dirty saddle and bridle... It just drives me mad!

E_Lister

Visit site
People who love and hug their "precious darlings" when they think people are looking.
Then hit, gob and swear at them till another rider looks over/talks to them when said pony once again is gently caressed and loved until people get distracted again.
(URGH. Even typing it makes my blood boil, poor, poor, patient saint of a pony!)

People saying "you shouldn't have horses unless you are willing to put the work in for them" then getting other people to groom, ride, look after and pay for said horse!

moses06

Visit site
People who cannot put a saddle on properly and the thing is sitting on the horse's withers!! I just want to undo girths and yank the saddle back at least a foot so the poor animal can actually move properly!!
Hogged manes with forelock left on -YUK
Bridles without a noseband - yuk!! especially in a show class??? I mean why????
people who are to lazy to pull the ragwort flourishing in their paddock.
People who help themselves to you tack and equiptment without asking.
Nasty, snidey, people who boast about what they have done, when they haven't acheived much at all - I.E boasting about winning a class they were the only entry in!!!

Hullabaloo

Visit site
Just a handful - I have so many!

- Stables which aren't mucked out perfectly
- Yards which aren't swept (especially after a horse's hooves are picked out, or after a farrier visit)
- Bridle straps which aren't neatly tucked away - The same goes for girth straps!
- People who wear ties, yet they aren't tied correctly.
- Dirty tack... I just can't stand it!
- People who don't put any effort in turn out when competing!

I have seen people at affiliated dressage shows, generally competing unregistered, turn up with a horse who looks like it has just been brought in from the field. Mane unplaited and scruffy, a not-so-white saddecloth, dirty saddle and bridle... It just drives me mad!

Aside from not sweeping the yard I can't see how any of the others impact on you. There is nothing you can do about it so what's the point of getting annoyed about it.

For me its people who don't get things in persepective - if no-one's dead and the horse isn't suffering life is too short to worry about it. If pressed I will confess to getting a bit annoyed with people who don't pick up their horse's poo from the school though.

moses06

Visit site
Aside from not sweeping the yard I can't see how any of the others impact on you. There is nothing you can do about it so what's the point of getting annoyed about it.

For me its people who don't get things in persepective - if no-one's dead and the horse isn't suffering life is too short to worry about it. If pressed I will confess to getting a bit annoyed with people who don't pick up their horse's poo from the school though.

But the point of the post is what are your pet hates, TBH I enjoy reading the thread, and seeing what bugs other people.....

chessy

Visit site
Yard politics. Honestly, I'm totally sick of it. People that ignore me because they think they are so much better than me (or think their horse is so much better than my horse), people that won't keep their noses out of my own damned business, people that talk behind my back... That's my main yard pet hate. If I could get rid of all that, an unswept yard would be a picnic.

A1fie

Visit site
Kids that leave their ponies tied up for hours whilst they muck out/ eat their lunch/ chat with their friends.

People who come back from a hack or competition or hunting and sort themselves out before sorting their horse out.

HappyHorses:)

Visit site
People who are two faced! so many in the horse world!
The person who 'borrowed' my last vet wrap and didn't replace it . . .
Anyone who hit, kicks or yanks their poor horse after a less than perfect test/round. . . . .
Seeing spur marks. . .
People who keep answering to BSJA123's post then get wound up about her not listening to them . . . :rolleyes:

Letslip

Visit site
Kids on ponies gagged up to the eyeballs kicking and screaming at them into a jump whilst at the same time pulling on their mouths!

People using draw reins incorrectly and people always riding in spurs then wondering why the horse is becoming dead to the leg and so have to increase the size and sharpness of spurs to overcome the deadness!

4faults

Visit site
Yard politics. Honestly, I'm totally sick of it. People that ignore me because they think they are so much better than me (or think their horse is so much better than my horse), people that won't keep their noses out of my own damned business, people that talk behind my back... That's my main yard pet hate. If I could get rid of all that, an unswept yard would be a picnic.

Exactly that!! Hate yard politics

Cazzah

Visit site
Ok, here goes......

1. Leaving horse tied up outside stable whilst they wander off chatting.....
2. Other people putting their horse in my stable without asking
3. People 'borrowing' yard equipment and then not putting it back
4. Someone once 'borrowed' my bridle - without asking - and it was only returned when I left a snotty note on the board in the tea room.....and it came back filthy
5. Other people leaving snotty notes on notice boards ;)
6. People using the school with the gate open - it's there for a reason
7. Lending people things and then not getting them back
8. People who jumped BN twice telling you (and everyone elso who'll listen) about their time 'on the circuit'
9. Yard politics and cliques
10. YOs charging for services and not doing them................

.......I'm not on a yard anymore - predominantly for the reasons above :D

(and the fact that I found it easy to list 10 and had to stop myself going on must mean that I'm a grumpy old bat tonight :D )

kickandshout

Visit site
oh blimey well you asked . . . .
spoiled bratty kids who cant ride for toffee so kick yank and generally abuse poor well behaved ponies.
not washing a sweaty horse after riding.
people constantly bragging about what height they've jumped but only do small classes at shows.
Yard politics
people who put themselves and their horse on a pedestal and clearly still have a lot to learn.
people who don't sweep up after the farrier.
people who don't pick ragwort because they believe they're horse wont eat it !!!
people who suddenly realise they have a fat horse and then starve it ( too little too late)
people who criticise competitors in the ring but are never seen competing themselves - classic armchair riders!!!
ok im going to stop there ( and yes im a moaning old bat)

magicgirl

Visit site
Kids that leave their ponies tied up for hours whilst they muck out/ eat their lunch/ chat with their friends.

People who come back from a hack or competition or hunting and sort themselves out before sorting their horse out.

Its not just kids but most adults seem to leave their horses tied up for ages outside. Perhaps I am old fashioned but we never used to tie up outside unless the horse was being bathed or similar. I muck out round them, or wait until I have turned them out, groom, change rugs and tack up etc whilst in a stable.
I hate it when people start to muck out and then go and have a coffee and a chat leaving other people waiting to use the barrow and tools. Finish the job first and stop being so selfish.

Kittykins

Visit site
The one that gets me more than any other is: rich people who know nothing about horses buying one because "owning horses is what rich people do". We had a neighbour like this: three thoroughly spoiled children who weren't the slightest bit interested in ponies but seemed to have two each, even though, as far as i could tell, they did absolutely nothing with them. They were all kept on a yard so were quite well cared for, but I have come across the odd horse who becomes horribly badly behaved after being badly ridden / looked after by someone who hasn't a clue what they're doing. The poor things are usually being sold on as a menace horse by an owner who's grumpily moaning about how the previous owner swore they were bombproof.

Katikins

Visit site
Definitely pushy parents. I remember one poor kid being help up by his shirt collar by his father and shaken and shouted at because his lovely pony refused at a jump and he fell off. The jump was about 1.10m and pony was about 12hh!! Having said that I distinctly remember my Mum yelling at me to get back on my pony after falling off for the umpteenth time (he was a broncer) otherwise he was being sold.... however I actually needed that, getting right back on the horse and all that.

My stupid pet hate is bridle leathers not be tucked into keepers. No idea why it winds me up so much but I have been known to go up to other people on the yard and tuck leathers in to keepers. Oh, and stirrup leathers not in the keepers either.

And kids who's parents do everything for them. When we had our horses at home they were our horses and my parents only helped out in emergencies, taught us responsibility. I remember one PC camp when one girl's mother did everything for her including tacking up and leading pony to where she got on! What's the point in camp if you're not going to participate!!

reindeerlover

Visit site
Wow, I'm probably guilty of all of these things.... I don't sweep up straight away, I have a horse who (last year) was hogged with his forelock left on, I hardly ever use a noseband on him (giant head, can't find one to fit... Oh and I like his big white face) but then I never show...

I don't poo pick, I harrow and do worm counts. Crikey, sorry everyone I will be good in future!

What winds me up though is people with fat horses- no your horse's crest is NOT muscle, it's flab.

Also people filling up water/giving hay etc because they think you won't do it! I don't mind them being helpful but when you have travelled to your yard at 10pm because you've been working all day and find that you didn't bloody need to go anyway- grr....

Erm, people not patting their horses straight away when they finish a jumping round/do something well. People not getting off staight away when they've finished. Poor grammer and spelling (sorry, I know it can't always be helped but I do hate it). When sweaty horses are not washed off properly after being ridden, when people look down their noses at you because you CHOOSE to ride in jeans and an old hoody instead of the latest Toggi/harry hall gear (when they are the ones who look like numpties).

That was cathartic, thanks for the thread!

DipseyDeb

Visit site
I remember 1 lady at a yard I was at years ago, had a box (I kid you not!) of bits...all for 1 horse, gadgets galore!! Then she would get the hump if you didn't take her advice re bitting...like when I wouldn't ride my 3 year old tb in a jointed kimblewick!!!!!

Flummoxed

Visit site
Oh, I can't resist this thread! Now, where would you like me to start?

1) People under the age of 18 on the yard
2) People who don't bother to sweep up outside my stable or even outside theirs, so all the mess blows to my end of yard
3) People who like you to know how "difficult" their horse is, suggesting that they must be such wonderful riders
4) People who borrow things without asking
5) People who don't clear up the school after using it
6) People who never clear their paddock of droppings
7) People who don't realise that their horse has left droppings en route to the paddocks
8) People (i.e YOs) who leave public tellings off on the white board and don't speak privately to the individuals concerned
9) People who use the last of the water bowser and don't think to ask for it to be refilled
10) People (YOs again) who break all their own rules when it suits them
11) People (YOS again) who regularly move their own horses to fresh paddocks, but expect their liveries to remain on poor grazing and buy hay from them
12) People who can't park their cars considerately
13) People who don't ensure their horse has access to water at all times
14) People who never check field boundaries

I think, in general, it's people who annoy me............................

Seahorse

community.webshots.com
people that tie their horses up on the yard and then leave them there for hours, sometimes going off the yard for a 'fag' for an hour leaving the poor thing standing there and having to pee on the concrete.

People that don't warm up or walk their horses off properly. One girl at the yard was cantering a circle then pulled up and opened the school gate and just rode him to the yard and got off!

People that lie about their experience and who they have worked for etc then when they get on a horse it's obvious they can't ride.

People that blame the horse when it's their rubbish riding that the poor thing won't jump or go 'on the bit'.

I once got told that my horse was easy and it was alright for people that just have to sit there and their horse goes nicely! I bought my horse as a yearling and did all the work myself so if he's good then its all my own work thank you very much!

Kayfm

Visit site
Mine is when people who you are not that fond off come to watch you compete hoping that you will mess up. Sorry to dissapoint !

Visit site
I have quite a few of these!

- Jealousy and bitchiness on a yard
- People who are scared of their horses but won't admit it
- People who over horse themselves
- Those people who think they 'own' the warm up arena at a show
- Children who race around on their ponies, jumping them for hours on end in hot weather. Poor ponies!
- People who don't pick out their horse's feet before they ride
- People who like to think they know everything
- People who leave their horses tied up on a yard for ages unattended

This just proves it's the people on a yard who cause all the problems, not the horses!

micramadam

Visit site
People who think you know nothing about horses because you don't compete but are happiest when hacking or caring for the horses.
People who blame their horses first when something goes wrong instead of looking to see what they themselves did wrong.
Punishing a horse for acting like a horse.
People who don't brush up or put stuff away after them.
People who don't think about the consequenties of their actions/ lack of action.

Crackajack

Visit site
I hate people on the yard who moan about other people and what they do....
If i want to hog my horses mane but not his forelock...i will....my horse my decision...!
I don't care if there is hay/straw/shavings not swept up...i will do my fair share...i brush up when i have brought my horse in but if i go to my stable and there is mess everywhere and i haven't brought him in then i am not going to bring him in - i dont brush up....if my horse hasnt been in and my stable has been shut i therefore have made no mess and shall not clean up for everybody else.
I hate people who moan at me for not being regular with my routine - if i wish to come down and ride at 10pm on a summers night why is that a problem for anybody else???
In general i would love a yard where everybody just got on with the reason they are there for in the first place - HORSES & PONIES!!!!
lol
:)

Last edited:

Jingleballs

Visit site
People who don't pull their weight at the yard especially at a DIY yard.

People who leave their horses droppings in the school and don't rake out any divots etc they make!

People who use the jumps and then don't put them away.

People who borrow things from you without asking!

People who moan about minor issues at the yard but rather than just going to the Y/O they bitch about it to all the other liveries creating an unneccesary atmosphere!

I could go on for hours!