Horsebox build.....our story!

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
:). Well don't stalk.... Come and have a glass of wine or at least a hobnob....!!

Look forward to catching up with you both....I won't ask about the crutches.....:)

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
Don't worry, lots of people do - they automatically assume it must be due to a horse related accident but it's not, I have a neurological condition :(

Well that means you are an extra special guest....come and meet an odd looking man probably looking a bit frazzled at being surrounded by hormonal horses and grumpy teenagers ( or is that the other way around ) being totally out of his comfort zone..... 😉

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
Holy thread resurrection!
Hello peeps.... But quick update about running the lorry over the last 8 months or so and what works and what doesn't work.... which may or may not help those considering their own build for 2017...

It has travelled the length and breath of the country in various competitions over the last year. Been to Pony Club Championships, various British Dressage BYRDS camps and recently the brilliant BYRDS high performance weekends.

It has proved brilliant in the main and has proved to be an excellent workhorse which has also proved very economical on the long runs...

The horses have travelled impeccably on it and both munch hay for the entire journey whereas previously one in particular was quite a nervous traveller..

The plus points....

The shower and water heater is brilliant and I thoroughly recommend fitting one if you have the room....
The heater is outstanding and works both on gas or electricity and heats up surprisingly quickly and gets blooming hot! Great for a long weekend away!

The sleeping arrangements work well and we can feasibly sleep 5 but 3 very comfortably.

Whoever suggested the built in bin deserves a medal and that holds an entire weekends waste without throwing it across the floor in the usual manner.

The airconditioning and the heater also works great! The heater was particularly useful when we used the truck as an extra bedroom over the Xmas period. It also enabled us to take the horses away with us for the first time when visiting sisters farm over Xmas.

This weekend is going to be spent fetling a few things to make it better. Need to give the generator its first service and oil change, need to mend a partition rubber which has come slightly adrift, need to grease a few sword pins and adjust a few catches....

Of the minus things....

Probably being an HGV it does become a nuisance monitoring driver hours.... contrary to belief a horsebox is not exempt and driving one has to be in the same manner as other HGV's. The maximum hours don't really apply for most journeys but after 4.5 hours you have to take a mandatory break which if you're travelling long distances and you are almost home adds to journey time.
The 90 kph limit is also frustrating having to jiggle positions with other lorries on the road.
As discussed earlier the servicing and testing regime is also stricter (which is a good thing) but you really must plan for servicing and testing times months in advance.

On the plus side though being a 12 tonner we really can load what we want in it without the fear of VOSA pulling us for being overweight.

Would I do anything different?
Probably change the size of the interior table a little...it is currently a little restrictive trying to squeeze around it..

Really nit picking but I would also consider a future build to have air conditioning as standard in the cab for the driver thus the donor truck would have to have it fitted as OEM equipment.

I have spent a few weekends in the summer trying to sort venting the engine heat away from the cab. This is made worse with most lorries as soon as you fit the 'ears' and rear bodywork on to the cab. Most lorries have a separate cab and any heat from the engine dissipates away behind the cab. With a horsebox you then enclose this area and the heat then has difficulty in escaping. This is made worse if you then fit a cut through cab as the heat will try and enter the cab through the gaps near the cut out.
I managed to seal this off reasonably well with rubber sealing strips.

If you suffer heat ingress into your lorry cab try and find the vents in the rear of the cab that are fitted as standard to equalise pressure when you open and close the doors. You will find that heat is sucked into the cab via these vents.... I sealed mine up and solved 99% of hot air being drawn in. I also added a few vents in the 'ears' to allow the hot trapped air to escape.

Anyway....thoroughly recommend building one and thank you again to all who took the time out with all of your advice! :)

Darbs

Visit site
Very interesting thread, a couple of thoughts from my experience with race transporters (some of these may have been mentioned already):

• I am not sure how you are handling internal living area 240v electrics, but take the number of sockets that you think you'll need and double it! Especially as so many sockets seem to get taken up with permanently charging phones/ipads etc.
  • Have an outside weatherproof flush power socket near the side access door, even if you think you may never use it, its far easier to put one in now than later.
  • Reversing camera is a must.
  • Have a method of stopping everything sliding about, especially internally in the cupboards and lockers. I have lost count how many times I have opened lockers and cupboards, even after a short journey, and everything has jumped out at me!
  • Internal smoke alarms and carbon monoxide detectors.
  • A waste bin built into the internal living area, a loose one just gets in the way and slides around.
  • Some deflection or weather strip above the side access door so water doesn't run off the roof and drip into the living area. (Have a look what is fitted to modern caravans)
  • Sink waste that has easy access to dismantle and unblock when it gets blocked up.

I am sure I'll think of some others things that I recall used to be an issue in race transporters.

Its great seeing it coming together. (See you over on DISCO4.COM)

I will completely unashamedly take full credit for the waste bin suggestion back in December 2015, post number #135! Glad it was of some use.

Really pleased the horsebox has been all you hoped, and thanks very much for the story of it coming together.

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
Darbs... you are my super hero ..... I took all of your advice and took up all of your recommendations! Each and every one and I agree whole heartedly with all of them!

Cheers!

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
Oh and another nugget that hard earned experience has proved.... you can never have enough plug in extension lead!!
...go out today and buy that additional extension lead for the plug in electrics.. we went to a few events this year and lots of venues seem to host their plug in pitches in the most bizarre locations that seem to have little use for eventual users!
Ended up seemingly miles away and the leads were always a few feet short!

Spottyappy

Visit site
Glad the box is - in the main- workin well for you.
I had mine built, after reading this thread, but not to such a high spec. And, by a different company, local to me.
Like you, we are learning about things that work well and others we either should have done and didn't, or could have done differently.
Here's to many happy years horseboxing!

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
Glad the box is - in the main- workin well for you.
I had mine built, after reading this thread, but not to such a high spec. And, by a different company, local to me.
Like you, we are learning about things that work well and others we either should have done and didn't, or could have done differently.
Here's to many happy years horseboxing!

Excellent and really really pleased for you! The good thing is that you can constantly amend and upgrade things now you have got the basic box finished and in use......!

Another downside of HGV ownership as mentioned previously is planning well in advance the MOT and service regime. Today I have just booked its service and MOT for 26th June!! They have no availability the previous week! Madness!

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
Is it still white?

You don't know how pertinent that question is!

It was painted white on purpose...as a blank canvas...can't say too much but daughter is still in mid negotiations with a company who wish to have a bigger presence in the equine world...
Which is rather exciting if it comes off....
All I can say is if it comes off you won't miss it! Not that it's not fairly obvious at present!

Fingers crossed! Lol!

PorkChop

Visit site
You don't know how pertinent that question is!

It was painted white on purpose...as a blank canvas...can't say too much but daughter is still in mid negotiations with a company who wish to have a bigger presence in the equine world...
Which is rather exciting if it comes off....
All I can say is if it comes off you won't miss it! Not that it's not fairly obvious at present!

Fingers crossed! Lol!

Ohh, exciting! Is there a prize if we guess the company? :D

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
Ooh yes.....!! It's so difficult to give any clues without giving them away....and until it is finally signed as I don't want to tempt fate....!

She has been speaking with them for about a year now and in principle it's there but it's not done until the fat lady sings! Or the fatter father opens some beers! Xx

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
I was thinking the same thing.... At present we strap it to the back door of the trailer but was looking for a better solution this time! It one of the most tedious things to have to pack!

:mad::mad:

Reviewing earlier ideas that were forthcoming and still struggling with wheelbarrows! Recently had to take two horses away for the weekend and stable them at an event...usual problem was that we had to clear the stables prior to leaving so had to load the horses in the lorry whilst we mucked out!

Had a full size wheelbarrow which we then had to manhandle back past the loaded horses to put back on the lorry to take home with us....

So reviewed collapsible wheel barrows again... not a lot on the market and most have tiny skinny wheels which immediately get stuck in the mud...but found this!

IMG_0004_zpsyq5cjseh.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

IMG_0003_zpsdyzad29l.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Very stable and really useful for carrying tack and stabling materials at events....bit heavy but folds nicely... called Westfield fold a cart they are on the usual websites....paid £70 for ours but some sellers sell them for considerably more so be cautious and shop around...

Hope it helps someone in a similar position! :)

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
Does a cat C LGV need to have 2 and 6 year tacho calibrations ?

It needs to be calibrated every two years...we book ours in with a local garage which has VOSA examiners and get it serviced, pre MOT'd and calibrated all at the same time... think the cost for calibration from memory was about £70... does that sound about right? ;)

GeeBee45

Visit site
Just to clarify the position with Tachographs.

Any goods vehicle with a Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) or Plated Weight, in excess of 7.5 tonnes (7500kg) will be subject to EU drivers hours rules and a Tachograph MUST be fitted and used. It doesn't matter what the road tax status of the vehicle is; private or commercial - if it's MAM is greater than 7.5 tonnes you MUST use the Tachograph and obey the EU drivers' hours rules.

If you use a vehicle with a MAM of 7.5 tonnes or less you do not have to use the Tachograph and do not have to follow EU drivers hours rules. The Tachograph fitted to the vehicle must be calibrated but does not have to be recalibrated unless any of the gearbox seals have been broken.

If you only use your box for non commercial transport then you may stop reading now. However, if you use a box over 7.5 tonnes or use one with MAM of 7.5 tonnes or less commercially you had better read on.

If the vehicle was first registered before 1st May 2006 then an analogue Tachograph(uses waxed paper charts) may be fitted. this type of Tachograph is calibrated at installation then at each 6 year anniversary. The Tachograph must be checked every 2 years. Stickers for both checking and calibration will be placed inside the Tachograph, they will be checked during annual test, if missing or out of date then the vehicle will fail its' test. Increasingly the Tachograph Centres are using the same labels for analogue Tachographs as for digitals, in which case the label is stuck on the B pillar of the drivers' door as they're too big to go in the Tachograph.

If the vehicle was first registered on or after 1st May 2006 then a Digital Tachograph MUST be fitted. These require the driver to have a digital smart card (bit like a bank card) with a 'chip' in it. The Tachograph is calibrated at the time of installation. The unit is then checked every 2 years and this check includes a recalibration. Sticker placed on B pillar of drivers' door. The Tachograph (actually called a Vehicle Unit of VU in the case of digital equipment) also has a printer that uses thermal paper roll. If no roll is present at MOT then the vehicle will fail the test. If no paper is present at a roadside inspection, an offence is committed (usually dealt with by a £100 Fixed Penalty).

If using a vehicle over 7.5 tonnes with a digital Tachograph then the driver card must be downloaded no later than every 28 days. The copied data must then be stored for at least 12 months. The VU must also be downloaded, although the time limit for doing this is at least every 90 days, data files must be kept for at least 12 months. To do these jobs you will need a smart card reader, a Company Card and a download tool. There are loads of different devices on the market with vastly ranging prices. Company Cards cost £37 for the first one and then £19 to renew every 5 years, same price for Driver Cards both available from DVLA

Feel free to PM me if they want a bit of impartial advice about any of the above.

sidewaysonacob

Visit site
I heard of an excellent idea last night that large box owners with payload to play with might consider - a safe.

My friend has had a hotel bedroom style combination lock safe secured into one of her floor level living cupboards. It's just large enough to fit her handbag so her purse, phone etc. are secure when she's away from home, even if she leaves the living unlocked for some reason or for when you're in and out of the living a lot, but don't necessarily have eyes on the unlocked door every second.

I know two friends who have had their handbags nicked from the living when they've been away training or competing so this sounds like a great idea.

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
Just to clarify the position with Tachographs.

Any goods vehicle with a Maximum Authorised Mass (MAM) or Plated Weight, in excess of 7.5 tonnes (7500kg) will be subject to EU drivers hours rules and a Tachograph MUST be fitted and used. It doesn't matter what the road tax status of the vehicle is; private or commercial - if it's MAM is greater than 7.5 tonnes you MUST use the Tachograph and obey the EU drivers' hours rules.

If you only use your box for non commercial transport then you may stop reading now. However, if you use a box over 7.5 tonnes or use one with MAM of 7.5 tonnes or less commercially you had better read on.

If the vehicle was first registered on or after 1st May 2006 then a Digital Tachograph MUST be fitted. These require the driver to have a digital smart card (bit like a bank card) with a 'chip' in it. The Tachograph is calibrated at the time of installation. The unit is then checked every 2 years and this check includes a recalibration. Sticker placed on B pillar of drivers' door. The Tachograph (actually called a Vehicle Unit of VU in the case of digital equipment) also has a printer that uses thermal paper roll. If no roll is present at MOT then the vehicle will fail the test. If no paper is present at a roadside inspection, an offence is committed (usually dealt with by a £100 Fixed Penalty).

If using a vehicle over 7.5 tonnes with a digital Tachograph then the driver card must be downloaded no later than every 28 days. The copied data must then be stored for at least 12 months. The VU must also be downloaded, although the time limit for doing this is at least every 90 days, data files must be kept for at least 12 months. To do these jobs you will need a smart card reader, a Company Card and a download tool. There are loads of different devices on the market with vastly ranging prices. Company Cards cost £37 for the first one and then £19 to renew every 5 years, same price for Driver Cards both available from DVLA

Feel free to PM me if they want a bit of impartial advice about any of the above.

You may be able to help with this query then?

Ours is a 12 tonner... it is a 2007 chassis so fitted with a digi tachometer. We both use chip tachometer cards and comply with driver hours regs.... we do not run commercially but purely for transporting our own horses...
Do we still need to download our data? At present we don't as I didn't think we have had to.... do we need to print off a daily trip still or can Vosa do this?

As a second question what if any is the benefit of changing the tax class to private HGV? The cost of the full tax for this vehicle is currently only £200 per annum..

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
I heard of an excellent idea last night that large box owners with payload to play with might consider - a safe.

My friend has had a hotel bedroom style combination lock safe secured into one of her floor level living cupboards. It's just large enough to fit her handbag so her purse, phone etc. are secure when she's away from home, even if she leaves the living unlocked for some reason or for when you're in and out of the living a lot, but don't necessarily have eyes on the unlocked door every second.

I know two friends who have had their handbags nicked from the living when they've been away training or competing so this sounds like a great idea.

Another good idea... it's dreadful hearing how many have suffered theft at events...unfortunately low life's realise at events how our attentions are are often elsewhere...
I also do a lot at motor racing events and it's unbelievable how many race trucks get broken into and personal effects stolen....the old saying Lock it or lose it is never more relevant.

As a cheap and easy suggestion we have just fitted a pair of battery powered shed alarms and fitted them to the living area and the tack locker. They are brilliant and just protect our kit when away from the truck.

Loubidy

Visit site
Sorry to bump an old thread but wow 😯 Just wow, simply stunning build!

I'm finding myself going to more and more stay away shows and have been contemplating a lorry, hoping to do my category C this summer (theory is booked for the end of the month) have been looking at some second hand lorries on the market and a little horrified at how unsafe some of these seem so have also been thinking about going down the route of building my own. Luckily for me my dad is a fully trained blacksmith/plumber and his brother runs a sparky business so should hopefully be able to a lot of the work for me but concerned about the structural work - is anyone able to advise at all on ballpark figures to expect for simply the box build price? Or suggest good companies for this?

Farmer Chalk

Visit site
Sorry to bump an old thread but wow 😯 Just wow, simply stunning build!

I'm finding myself going to more and more stay away shows and have been contemplating a lorry, hoping to do my category C this summer (theory is booked for the end of the month) have been looking at some second hand lorries on the market and a little horrified at how unsafe some of these seem so have also been thinking about going down the route of building my own. Luckily for me my dad is a fully trained blacksmith/plumber and his brother runs a sparky business so should hopefully be able to a lot of the work for me but concerned about the structural work - is anyone able to advise at all on ballpark figures to expect for simply the box build price? Or suggest good companies for this?

Sorry for the late response....dropped me off the mailing list for some reason...
Brilliant news for the Cat C....it's actually quite simple and straightforward in reality..Good luck!

It sounds as though you are ideally placed with your family connections to do the majority of the lorry build yourself! My advice is source a good chassis from a truck dealers...Ours was perfect as it originally was a water bottle lorry and there is very little call for second hand trucks of this sort...hence it was great value! I was going to chop the body off anyway!
Alternatively look for a box lorry whereby you can use the old body for a storage unit or some sort!

I would make contact with a few horsebox builders or coach works companies to get them to build the outer body for you. This is exactly what we did and got the professionals to do the difficult work! You also need special tooling and premises. You can see from the early photos of the build that you need a crane or lots of strong people to lift the sides of the body on...

The professional will know the lengths of the chassis / load space and can determine what would best suit you and your needs and then build something that you want.

The interior is like any kitchen / bathroom fit really and relatively straight forward. It was actually huge fun providing you plan everything out in advance with what you want! I cannot recommend someone like Courcheval enough really. We used their knowledge and experience to discuss the truck chassis and used them to prepare the chassis we subsequently provided. They did all the heavy chassis work and outer body....

You can then decide to do the interior fit out yourselves as and when time and finances allow! Providing the horse area is done first as a means to get your horses about you can always sort the living later!