Horsebox Manufacturer - Personal Recommendations?

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Does anyone have recommendations for horsebox manufacturers who can make something to my requirements, with a focus on practical functionality rather than fancy paint jobs, chrome and leatherette!

I am specifically looking for a 7.5t lorry to be built on a Euro 6 compliant (generally 2014 or newer) chassis with full overnight living functionality including toilet and shower... but quite happy for it to be a stick-sided type design and basic in style. Needs to be strongly constructed for very regular use and lots of overnight stays.

Does anyone have recommendations for companies they have used to manufacture boxes of this type? I definitely do not have a Cooke/PRB/Oakley type budget - but nor do I want or need that kind of style and finish.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Try Racemaster? Solidly built boxes, and very practical. Not necessarily beautiful, but very robust.
I've not seen recent ones, but had mine built in 2012 and it's still doing the job I bought it for, has taken a good clattering from some and despite regular inspections on integrity throughout, I've only replaced the flooring last week and all welding for strength is still v good as is ramp, doors etc.
Just seen you are NW tho, they are near Swindon direction.
Peperharrow also build solid workhorse boxes, they are just south of Guildford.

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Try Racemaster? Solidly built boxes, and very practical. Not necessarily beautiful, but very robust.
I've not seen recent ones, but had mine built in 2012 and it's still doing the job I bought it for, has taken a good clattering from some and despite regular inspections on integrity throughout, I've only replaced the flooring last week and all welding for strength is still v good as is ramp, doors etc.
Just seen you are NW tho, they are near Swindon direction.

I thought they only did 3.5 tonnes?

Bernster

Visit site
Not sure if it’s out your budget but agree, my friend got a Kevin Parker 3.5t and it was super smart. I used Freddie Gover. Build was good, paintwork less so. Not terrible but bubbled in places after about a year. To be fair I should have chased him on it and I suspect he would sort it out. Prob still will but never seem to get round to it!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
They used to do bigger, worth asking?
Their current ebay listings say they do 7.5t boxes

My old 3.5 was a racemaster. Ancient, no frills, rock solid. I took it back to them for some mods and they were excellent to deal with (and tickled to see one of their first boxes still in regular use after 20+ years ?)

Annagain

Visit site
A lot of my friends have John Rose (local company to us) boxes and are all very happy. I believe it's now John's son who is running things and has gone into partnership with someone else. I think they're now called Rose and Cadno
Tristar aren't that far from me either so I see a lot of their boxes with happy owners.

Mildlander

Visit site
I have a Peper Harow Thrifty on a 7T Iveco has a 3T payload but I only have a basic living but they do everything you've listed. Built last year - very happy with it. It's Aluminium sides so no worries about scratching paint down county lane!
My other option was Racemaster

oldie48

Visit site
Our last 7.5 was an Oakland, built in Great Witley, North Worcs. It was a very well built box. I'm not sure of the cost as we bought secondhand but it's still going strong as we sold it locally 12 years ago.

Asha

Visit site
Have you tried Chatham horseboxes in Smallwood. They do 3.5t mainly, but they did use to do 7.5. Its worth a call. They did my 3.5t and im happy with it, and not as pricey as KP

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
We love our Tristar box
You normally get a great payload with them

I've had 2 Tristar lorries, my current one is my favourite. It has a 180hp MAN cab and the horse area is all aluminium. Even the partitions are aluminium. It's a 7.5 tom box and I have a pay load of 2.2 tons. I could actually carry all 3 of my horses and not be overloaded. We have 'day living' which is small but it's ok for getting dressed & keeping tack secure at shows. We have storage boxes behind each It has hob & sink which we've never used.. Too much emphasis is put on 'living area' when in reality it's not that many people that stay away at shows & all the kitchen & toilet stuff really eats into the payload, most of the stuff is redundant & not needed. If you are having a lorry built really have a think about what 'living' is actually needed. Check with people at shows and ask about their lorry. They'll let you know what they like & what they don't. I like normal lorries with a rear ramp, some prefer a side opener. We have some storage in cupboards behind the rear wheels both sides. We do not have storage eating into the horse area.

Last edited:

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
You normally get a great payload with them

I've had 2 Tristar lorries, my current one is my favourite. It has a 180hp MAN cab and the horse area is all aluminium. Even the partitions are aluminium. It's a 7.5 tom box and I have a pay load of 2.2 tons. I could actually carry all 3 of my horses and not be overloaded. We have 'day living' which is small but it's ok for getting dressed & keeping tack secure at shows. We have storage boxes behind each It has hob & sink which we've never used.. Too much emphasis is put on 'living area' when in reality it's not that many people that stay away at shows & all the kitchen & toilet stuff really eats into the payload, most of the stuff is redundant & not needed. If you are having a lorry built really have a think about what 'living' is actually needed. Check with people at shows and ask about their lorry. They'll let you know what they like & what they don't. I like normal lorries with a rear ramp, some prefer a side opener. We have some storage in cupboards behind the rear wheels both sides. We do not have storage eating into the horse area.

We use our living a lot and also use it for staying away without the horses - it is a non negotiable! When i'm out eventing my OH usually uses the kitchen to cook healthy lunches etc.... and then everything needs washing up! We also go to quite a few 2-day training things, even in winter, so 240v plug-in to run heaters etc. has been absolutely necessary. I actually really like my lorry, but it isn't Euro 6 compliant and with a low emission zone about to cover our yard, I need to get sorted. And the one thing our lorry doesn't have, which my OH is completely sold on, is a shower. I had been considering a body swap, but i think remodelling to include a shower would cut down on the horse space too much.

I think i'm down to a shortlist anyway - and all Welsh companies making lightweight aluminium boxes at much more competitive prices than I can find in England, it seems...

Barlow

Visit site
RachelFerd - I am in the same boat aa you. I’d be really grateful if you wouldn’t mind sharing your list - Tristar is on mine as is Cadno & Rose but if there are any others in the same bracket that I ought to look at I’d love to know who they are please!

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
RachelFerd - I am in the same boat aa you. I’d be really grateful if you wouldn’t mind sharing your list - Tristar is on mine as is Cadno & Rose but if there are any others in the same bracket that I ought to look at I’d love to know who they are please!

Got a Tristar lorry in the end - it was the best value and they were the most responsive company to deal with. A few snagging issues but ultimately happy with the box and it was all delivered to time :)

Barlow

Visit site
Got a Tristar lorry in the end - it was the best value and they were the most responsive company to deal with. A few snagging issues but ultimately happy with the box and it was all delivered to time :)
Thank you so much - Tristar are top of my list so that’s good to know!