Horsebox Storage. how much?

Just Lucy

New User
Visit site
How much does everyone pay to keep their horsebox/trailer at their livery yard?

Mine (a 3.5t van conversion) has never been an issue until now but now yard owner is saying £20 a week! On top of the £50 per horse I pay for my two horses to be on DIY livery.

is it just me who thinks that is extortionate?

phizz4

Visit site
We don't get charged anything. On full livery but that doesn't make a difference. Previous yard we paid £5 a month. Going rate for a caravan on a secure site is about £40 to £50 a month.

Gingerwitch

Visit site

Mine (a 3.5t van conversion) has never been an issue until now but now yard owner is saying £20 a week! On top of the £50 per horse I pay for my two horses to be on DIY livery.

Yes I really think this is extortionate, you pay 15 pence an hour for stabling and grazing per horse...... I am sure you think parking your horse box should be free as you are doing them such a huge favour and face it they could have another stable in its place.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site

Are they providing 24hr CCTV, is it in a secure area?
Is their insurance adequate as anyone taking money for storage is accepting at least part liability for theft or damage etc.

Just Lucy

New User
Visit site
I pay £5/week. I think it's worth it for a secure yard (and the added benefit of an on-site horsebox mechanic!)
Are they providing 24hr CCTV, is it in a secure area?
Is their insurance adequate as anyone taking money for storage is accepting at least part liability for theft or damage etc.
No CCTV and no it’s sort of an open drive sort of thing? I wouldn’t know about insurance to be honest.

Just Lucy

New User
Visit site
Yes I really think this is extortionate, you pay 15 pence an hour for stabling and grazing per horse...... I am sure you think parking your horse box should be free as you are doing them such a huge favour and face it they could have another stable in its place.
sorry are you being sarcastic? It’s just grazing at the moment. And £50 per horse per week is 30p an hour if we are being pendantic. It’s on a driveway, not where a stable could be built.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I've been on yards that charge DIY for horsebox/trailer parking but not Full liveries. In all cases parking was on hard standing/concrete car parks within the property which was locked at night but no extra security. From memory it was £10 a week but that was about 10 years ago.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I think I used to pay about 15 per month, hard standing behind the yard gates which were locked at night.
I do think 20/week is pretty expensive, have a look round for caravan storage type places or farms with redundant hard standing, there are a few near me who do lorry storage.

chocolategirl

Visit site
I don’t charge anything on my diy yard, never have in 24 years, however, this on the understanding that, if there is any damage, theft etc, we are not liable. I don’t have cover for clients vehicles on my yard policy, and I’m pretty sure a lot of the yards who do charge, don’t have this cover, I’m sure it would be quite expensive, though correct me if I’m wrong which I’m sure some of you will!? what clients don’t understand I guess, is the amount of space needed to accommodate these vehicles, is pretty substantial, so I don’t blame any YO for charging tbh, I just didn’t want the extra liability associated. My clients sign a waiver to say they keep their boxes here at their own risk. I charge £31 per week DIY FYI. ?

Last edited:

Spiritedly

Visit site
I never used to pay at my old yard but had to park on an uneven area that turned muddy and slippery when wet, there was no security other that the locks i put on myself. My new yard charges £10 a month to park on hardstanding with cctv and owner living onsite. We have all just moved the trailers to a more secure location onside where they now aren't visible until you are near YO's house. Mine is the first one people see which may be strategic parking as mine is also the one least likely to be stolen ?

MissTyc

Visit site
Ours is £20/month but it's not massively secure.
up the road do a secure storage for trailers/caravans, etc, for £50/month. That's for anyone to hire the space so sets a benchmark for the area.

holeymoley

Visit site
Nothing thankfully. At the previous yard we weren't allowed to store them there so it was kept at home. I looked at caravan and boating storage which roughly worked out at £5 per week. So yes, I think that is a ridiculous amount. Where did they get that figure from?

dorsetladette

Visit site
At my previous place it was £5 a week for the lorry or trailer on a gravel/hardcore yard. The gate was locked to the yard when we weren't there.

I have a friend who stores her lorry else where and she pays £40 a month but that does include the use of a small shipping container for storage.

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
At present yard we are not charged for lorry parking. Previous yard we were charged £5 per week which I think is exceptional, £20 per week is robbery!

Nasicus

Visit site
Yeesh, who tinkled in your cornflakes?

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I'm a YO and have never charged for "storage".

The very good reason being that if you do, your insurance premium will be astronomical!

I include the words to the effect that lorries/trailers may be parked at livery's own risk and that there is no extra charge. I know a big BHS yard where there is similarly no charge levied, but liveries are invited to donate to RDA or Air Ambulance.

chocolategirl

Visit site
Yeesh, who tinkled in your cornflakes?
She does have a point though, no? The keeping of trailers/lorries on yards is for the clients convenience is it not? The OP is of course free to take her box elsewhere if she thinks that price is extortionate. Of course she could always consider the fact that she’s been getting it for free all these years, so if you work out the cost if she’d been charged from the beginning, that may put it more into perspective ?‍♀️ I do wish the price per hour hadn’t been mentioned though, I’ve worked out my clients get the most amazing facilities and free lorry/trailer storage for 18pence per hour!???‍♀️ Thanks for that GW???

Last edited:

saalsk

Visit site
Just to say, no one tinkled in my cornflakes at all !

I have paid up to £30 a month for keeping a trailer at a yard - CCTV and owner on site, but that didn't stop yard thefts including rugs, tack and trailers. It was also in the contract that they took no responsibility, so it did make me wonder why we paid for the storage - but I suppose it was actually for space. Thefts still happened, not my trailer cos I had belt and braces locks ( hitch, wheels, padlocks - you name it ). Then moved to place that allowed it for free on a non CCTV, owners on site place, where several lorries were kept. Yes, it was for my convenience, but 4 of us got together to ask if they would install CCTV and we would all pay a monthly fee. It didn't happen, but I moved a few months later to my own place. Now have CCTV, lights triggered by movement ( including the overweight hedgehog that lives under a hedge nearby, and regularly triggers the lights on the yard ! ) and still the hitch lock, wheel locks, padlocks and postcode painted on roof, along with signs saying such. I would not object to paying, minimal for no security, more for actual security in place that would at least give the police a chance to catch the offenders.

Jango

Visit site
I pay 15 a month on my yard to park my lorry which I think is very reasonable. Its semi hard standing, 20 quid a week is too much in my opinion!

Micropony

Visit site
Current yard doesn't charge, previous yard was £15/week, which I thought was a bit steep, but it was my choice to keep it there for convenience. They do take up a lot of space. Yards do funny things sometimes with pricing and what they do or don't charge extra for, for example some yards charge separately for school lights or use of school, so I think you just have to look at the total cost of keeping your horse there and decide whether, overall, you are happy with what you get for your money.

Nasicus

Visit site
She does have a point though, no? The keeping of trailers/lorries on yards is for the clients convenience is it not? The OP is of course free to take her box elsewhere if she thinks that price is extortionate. Of course she could always consider the fact that she’s been getting it for free all these years, so if you work out the cost if she’d been charged from the beginning, that may put it more into perspective ?‍♀️ I do wish the price per hour hadn’t been mentioned though, I’ve worked out my clients get the most amazing facilities and free lorry/trailer storage for 18pence per hour!???‍♀️ Thanks for that GW???

Oh I've no qualms with charging for horsebox storage, I don't think it should be free by default and would happily pay to keep one if I had one!
But you can't deny the tone GW took wasn't exactly neutral ;)

Regandal

Visit site
Our yard is free but there is no security, at your own risk.
£50 per week for diy is on the steep side, just in my opinion. Of course they may provide hay, bedding etc.