horseless and keeping involved?

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
Had you thought about riding out racehorses at a local national hunt yard? sorry don't know your area, so no idea if you have any local trainers. Plenty of trainers looking for bums on seats, and you may even get paid for it. You may even find that with the mornings getting lighter you could ride out before work. May even get to do a bit of jump schooling if you're up for it.

EllieandGeorge

Visit site
I have a casual share arrangement and don't pay anything so they're definitely out there!
I help out with a friends two horses, ride maybe 3/4 times a week and help out with mucking out etc. I've also started helping out with another horse on the same yard, his owner rides max once a week as she's busy with kids and things so I ride him whenever I can and on weekends he I do him and have use of him, I can take him to shows and lessons and things whenever really. Hes a fab horse too, can't do big jumping anymore but still great for what I want to do!

Tapir

Visit site
thanks victoria...just give me a PM if you need a hand at any shows- Oldham really isn't far at all! :)
Dressage writing could be an idea actually- guess it would be a chance to learn some stuff and croft top/crow wood are pretty local and have a lot on :)

They also now run un/affiliated dressage at Birtle as well as having Riding for Special Needs groups that are always glad of helpers.

photo_jo

Visit site
You can come and help at Bradwall Horse Trials!;) Fancy writing for a dressage judge? I'm sure plenty of the pros would love a spare pair of competent hands at horse trials or you could groom for a numpty like me:rolleyes: J

diggerbez

Visit site
Jo I'd love to come and help at bradwall- me and my friend are becoming FJ pros but I'm sure we can turn our hand to dressage writing! Just drop me an email if u need me! Or if u want a groom for that matter!

Amaretto

Visit site
OP, you will need to go onto the Pony Clubs website, think its www.pcuk.org, or just google it. I tried to find a branch in Rochdale, but you need a full postcode to do it. I tried with an OL post code, which I believe is appropriate to your area. Once found, speak to the branch secretary who is usually in the know and volunteer your services. They will love you.

Shame you are so far away. I have a lovely 20 year cob who adores his hacking, but mummy spends all her time working, so can only take him out on sightseeing tours at the weekend currently. Wouldnt want to be paid, just ride him a couple of times a week and do him at the same time - winners all round them.

Saddleworth PC. http://branches.pcuk.org/saddleworth/
However, a lot of the Rochdale RC crew are heavily involved.

Oops, just seen Honey's post - pretty much says same thing!

Last edited:

Amaretto

Visit site
Yes me! Lol! I suffer from lack of time rather than lack of money! :D

Same. Making a conscious effort to sort it though, or there's no point having him!

Diggerbez, they needed writers at the recent BD regionals @ Myerscough and for the forthcoming Premier League this week. x

BeckyD

Visit site
There are two types of people who want their horses ridden by someone else (generally speaking):

1) Needs/desires financial/physical chores assistance and therefore relinquishes rides in return.

2) Hasn't got the time to exercise their own horse every day so has to pay someone else to do it e.g. X times per week.

As a capable rider I think you would be able to find rides for the second sort of person. There are lots of people who pay their livery yards to exercise their horses. They may be harder to find though as due to lack of time, they may not spend time browsing ads in tack shops or looking online. Networking is key here! Ask the local trainers perhaps?

Farma

Visit site
I lost my horse before xmas and whilst horseless started bhs course and weekly dressage schoolmaster lessons. I have missed schooling something so i put a note on the local facebook horse riders page and was inundated with offers to ride and school for people for nothing. I went and tried 4 possibles all green and quirky but all nice and have decided on a stunning dressage horse whos owner has lost confidence and doesnt want numpties riding her.
I could not believe how many people are calling our for experienced riders they dont have to pay for!!

Pigeon

Visit site
Volunteer for local pony club/riding club? They always need stuff doing!! :D

Where are you based?