Horses at home- riding motivation?

Lintel

Visit site
Just wondering if anybody who has their horses at home struggles at times to find the get up and go to ride?
I'm finding that more and more I thinking "He is happy as a field ornament today, I'll ride tomorrow".
I found when on livery I rode through guilt at times(as their was very little turnout) and at times rode because of what people might think if I didn't! I really do enjoy riding once I'm out- but actually getting to that point.. and having enough time to stay "out" is becoming a real pain. I'm sure this weather and having a new puppy to watch isn't helping but I do feel more lazy now I'm at home.
How do you all self-motivate? - especially if your just a happy hacker?

Yardbird

Visit site
Unless weather is dreadful, tell yourself you will just do ten minutes, then do it and when ten mins is up finish if you want to , as that is all you had planned to do, or again, if you want to, now you have started, continue.

teddypops

Visit site
For the first time ever I’m struggling with motivation this winter. I have to ride before doing the mucking out etc or I will not get around to riding. I normally go to lots of clinics and compete which helps too because if I’ve paid for them in advance I will go!

Orangehorse

Visit site
Haven't ridden since before Christmas. I have never had mine at a livery yard, so I have always had to ride alone, and it is lonely sometimes and also difficult to get motivated, especially in the winter when the days are short and everything has to be fitted in before dark.

The only thing is however reluctant to ride, I know that I will feel better when I do.

SatansLittleHelper

Visit site
I'm totally with you on this. Horses are a mile down the road from my house and field kept. At the moment I'm also a happy hacker and really struggle to find the motivation. Once I'm on and out I bluddy love it lol...it's just getting there.
I think it's down to not feeling guilty or pressuring yourself...after all your horse is probably quite happy!!!

CMcC

Visit site
I was very unmotivated during December, but feeling a bit more positive now. Also signed up to a 12 week horsemanship challenge on Facebook, committed to do 3 hours per week. Then record activity on fb. Seeing other people doing their hours in the dark before/after work made me feel guilty as I am at home all day. Lots of my friends are involved in the challenge so nice to see what other people are doing and get positive comments and encouragement.

Spot_the_Risk

www.animalcrackersdevon.co.uk
I'm exactly the same as Satans little helper, horses a mile away n a field. I rode for ten minutes tops yesterday, and that was my first sit on for nearly two months. In my rather parthetic defence I can say that I am awaiting a meeting regarding my worsening hip arthritis (riding hurts) and I have five jobs, so I am pretty busy.

Wagtail

Horse servant
Visit site
I know exactly what you mean. Especially in this weather. I was on a roll with my young mare before the snow in early December, then I got a virus and the upshot is she's been ridden only once in six weeks. I'm paying for it now though!

rara007

Visit site
Literally in this position now. In from work, it’s raining and dark, I’m pretty tired. I think the ponies might just have another night to themselves...

3Beasties

Visit site
I know exactly what you mean! I really struggle to stay motivated! Not helped by the fact that I've just had to retire my main riding horse at the age of 10, have literally half an hour of day light to ride in (can only hack as no facilities), my old boy is 23 and sometimes has days were I feel I shouldn't be riding him, and I can make no plans or progress anywhere, can't have lesssons or get out and about because of the above :(

Fruitcake

Visit site
I’m so glad I’m not the only one who feels like this! I’m usually really motivated during the winter and commit to two evening group lessons (just a couple of miles down the road) to make sure horse is ridden mid week. I usually don’t even mind hooking up the trailer in the dark. This year, however, I’ve been really busy at work and haven’t managed my mid week lessons. When the weekend comes, I’ll take any excuse not to bother. I think that once I get out of the routine, it’s really hard to get back into it. I fully intend to try though!

11bluewolf

Visit site
I think its important to get my horse out and working regularly/ pretty much everyday. Although they're perfectly happy in their fields/ stables and when the weather is really bad we are also usually much happier tucked up inside I do think they really need to be worked mentally and physically. Most horses don't have access to 24/7 turnout and even if they do I compare it to letting a dog out in the garden- not really sufficient it still really needs a walk. So thats how
I'd motivate myself if i ever needed to! I just see it as something that needs to be done for my horse, and like you said OP you'll thoroughly enjoy it once you're on! Plus, the days are already getting longer! :D

spookypony

Visit site
I found for me the problem was not being able to compartmentalise between horses, work, and housework/DIY. So no matter what I was doing, I felt guilty about not doing the other things simultaneously. Since moving the horses to a yard (which is just me, no other liveries) and trying to leave work at work, things have improved, and I ride more consistently.

Lintel

Visit site
Thanks all the facebook/three hour activity sounds great but I'm so anti facebook :(
I'm really desperate to get out in the trailer as we both love going new places but between -9 and snow it's been impossible!
Nice to hear I'm not the only one lacking motivation this year, and hats off to you motivators!! Thanks all, I'll need to start riding properly, the Christmas choccies are starting to show!!

vanrim

Visit site
I have 5 and am struggling to keep motivated in this bloody awful weather. I find it helps if I keep to a strict routine and like another poster I tell myself I will just do a really quick easy session which motivates me to get on. Also I’m not too hard on myself if they only get a quick brush before I ride.

meleeka

Visit site
I’m in this situation too. My cob needs bringing back to work slowly after an injury,so lots of In hand work and long reigning. I start then give up because life just gets in the way and my motivation disappears after a few days of it.

Landcruiser

Visit site
I'm the same. I work part time, have school runs, dogs to walk, chickens, mud...and there always seem to be errands and things that need fixing on our run down property. No facilities, mud - I agree it's very hard to be motivated. I usually manage a couple of decent hacks a week, and always feel better for it. I call it ticking over.
Roll on spring!!

lillibet7

Visit site
I am in this boat too but , like others have said, I always really enjoy my ride when I make the effort. I do this for fun these days & if it is cold , wet & windy & dark I don't enjoy riding & neither does my pony so we leave it until another day. I don't feel guilty as I know we will make up for it in the summer & pony is quite happy to have a break. My advise is don't torture yourself over not riding if you really can't muster the enthusiasm - it will come back with the sun before too much longer - fingers crossed !

Beth206

Visit site
My advise is don't torture yourself over not riding if you really can't muster the enthusiasm
Absolutely this lilibet. Last year I really beat myself up about not being able to ride much in winter - I have no facilities and no transport so I hack on a weekend and if the weather is *****e I don't. My 5yo is happy with that, although I find she needs to kept stimulated so I do a bit of groundwork everyday whether that's doing stretches, going for an in-hand graze or some exercises from the cobs can workbook. It keeps us both ticking over until the spring and we are both a lot happier now than we were this time last year.

ponios

Visit site
I have the same problem! Especially when it is so dark in the morning. I work from home, I can just about pop out to bring in just before dark but cant ride during working day.

The best thing for me was befriending a neighbour that has the same issue. We plan to meet at 8am most mornings so that even if we don't want to do it, we have to, so we don't let the other down!

Unless weather is dreadful, tell yourself you will just do ten minutes, then do it and when ten mins is up finish if you want to , as that is all you had planned to do, or again, if you want to, now you have started, continue.

^ this is a good plan. As others have said once you are out you really do enjoy it!

I get up feed and while they are scoffing/waiting for it "to go down" do as much of the mucking out as possible so that I can either finished off once I am back or quickly during lunch break.

Another thing that I find helps is listening to audio books, I only listen when doing horse chores so when I get to a good bit I almost look forward to getting up in the morning so I can listen!

Last edited:

horsefeed

Visit site
My horses are 10 miles from home in a rented field with no facilities, pre-snow I was doing really well and riding twice a week before work and both weekend days. Snow made field a swamp and it taken 20 mins to scrap the mud off, then Xmas and had no time due to family stuff. Since back at work I am sure the mornings are darker thanks to be so cloudy and overcast! I entered some jumping classes this Saturday before Xmas and thank god I did as I forced myself to ride to ride last Thursday morning, then again both weekend days and again this Tuesday, I will get her out again tomorrow morning so she isn't too fresh Saturday! My only saving graces are a snuggy hood to save scraping as much mud off and I have hours of off road hacking so i ride in the dark with a head torch.

nikkimariet

Visit site
You don't get results if you don't put in work?

Thinking comes before working in the dictionary only. So put in a little work, then have a little think.

Antw23uk

Visit site
I have my horses at home and found I ride more than I ever did on a livery yard. I dont need to worry about grooming, flossing about chatting to anyone and everyone, waiting for anyone. I can be down the field, horse in, tack on and out within 10 minutes.

I dont ride in the winter, I refuse to put that pressure on myself so the shoes come off and they become hairy mud monsters but come the lighter evenings, around March I reckon, I will be champing at the bit to get going again. Roll with it, make an effort, once you are on as you say its fine so sod the grooming and faffing about, just stick tack on and go but if not its not the end of the world so take the pressure off :)

If i have days when i dont feel like it i will lunge or long rein or i just say to myself, Ant, get the tack on and see how you feel in ten minutes. I then either get off after ten minutes (very rare) or im off and away enjoying my hack :)

Set goals, book lessons, book local events so you have something to work towards. Setting a goal is very motivational as well.

Pinkvboots

Visit site
It can be hard I have struggled in winter but I sort of just get tough with myself and it's so much easier once you get back I to the habit, maybe set yourself days to ride and stick to it have a plan of where you will go, another thing that helps me is I have 2 horses at home so I found someone who wanted to hack out and help with schooling and I have made 2 really lovely friends now, if you only have the 1 maybe find someone local to you so you can meet up with a few times a week.

millitiger

Visit site
I ride before work so about 6am- no time to convince myself not to!

Regular competitions or outings of some sort most weekends, give me things to aim for to keep fit/ schooled.

I've had 2 occasions this winter when for about a week I didn't feel the love for riding- so I just gave them those times off and didn't feel guilty as its nothing in the scheme of things and I don't ride well if my heart isn't in it.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
I think a lot of it is routine, I need to be strict or I'll get lazy.
At a yard your there to ride or whatever and people know if you don't!!
At home I find it easy to finish work, come in for a coffee and start inevitably doing house chores.
I now get up early and go mad in the morning before work getting stables etc done and just as much other stuff as I can manage before work. I also do a lot by head torch in the evening (poo picking, filling nets)
Once you get into the habit of riding it's much easier.
That said I do occasionally fall off the wagon and it's hard to get the motivation to get back into it.

Cazza525

Visit site
I've struggled since the beginning of December. What with Christmas preparations and then the foul weather I didn't ride for over a month. I have, however started riding again this week and found my mojo has reappeared! Hurrah! Think my dear boy has missed it too.