Horses in due to weather...?

JM07

Visit site
After reading so many posts about horses/ponies being in for days on end and therefore becoming unruly...

How many of you have cut out their hard feed then?
wink.gif

M_G

Visit site
I have
grin.gif
he is just getting chaff a bit of beet & vits (do I get a gold star?) if I had shelter & was allowed hay in field he would be out

mattilda

Visit site
Mine were out for around 5 hours Fri, sat and Sun. Today they are in as once again my fields are completely snow covered. I will cut out all hard feed if they have to stay in tomorrow but other than that....no.

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
lol, ok ok ya got me!!

Admittedly, I have against my better nature, chucked all of mine out even the 28 year old....but when they are kept in all they get is the happy hoof rather than all the other portions, other than mr oldie who would disappear if I stopped feeding him all other concentrates!!

Feel really bad they are out now, must be drenched...another hour to go until I can go snuggle them in bed in the dry!! - heavy rain is one thing but its been torrential all day, even the minis will have to come in tonight....all rugged but will be soggy miserable and cold!!

0ldmare

Visit site
Good question - a friend of mine said she was giving hers more feed(s) because he was bored being in all the time. I suggested it might be better to cut his feed down, but she thought I was cruel and heartless. Ho hum, it will be interesting when she clambers aboard!
smirk.gif

Mine have been out every single day so they are still on standard rations

Blizzard

Visit site
No in fact he is getting more because the others get two feeds a day, he only gets half a scoop alfa oil and speedibeet though. Lance is on his third month in now thanks to him getting very bad mudfever while I was away!! He doesnt give a toss, turned him out in the school at the weekend as the yard was finally safe enough for him to walk down (ice), put him in the school expecting an explosion as he hadnt been out for a week....and he just came straight back to the gate not impressed there was no food out there!
He really doesnt care where he is, until the food runs out!
tongue.gif
shocked.gif
grin.gif

M_G

Visit site
If he was to get hard feed then god help me...Cant even ride/lunge ATM both arena's are solid (he is being walked out round the XC course in hand for a leg stretch)

the watcher

Visit site
Ha! Bucking the trend here, mine were out night AND day - only because the colt has just been gelded and needed to move around as much as possible, otherwise they would have been out by day - as most horses are on my yard, no matter how deep the snow

kit279

Visit site
Yep, neither of mine are getting hard feed. When they go out finally (after a week in) I plan to starve them a bit the night before so that they go for their hay and don't loon about in the ice.

PopStrop

Visit site
I didn't have any hard feed to cut out in the first place
mad.gif
grin.gif
So I can't even blame that for winding her up
frown.gif
She was getting a handful of chaff and half a handful of blue chip balancer. I did stop the blue chip when she started having to stay in, not sure how much difference the calories in a balancer make but every little counts
wink.gif

Blaise

Visit site
Have cut down on hard feed but still getting calm & condition in with her chaff as i'm really struggling to get weight back on her and this is the only way i'm managing to do it. She's not turned out but is still getting worked in the indoor school so she's still using up some of her energy.
smile.gif

malibu211211

How the hell do I know??? I can barely remember my
Visit site
Monty has been in for the past 3 weeks
frown.gif
When the weather has been ok to turn out his 2 fieldmates who are driving horses are normally being worked and my big wimp won't stay on his own out in the field
frown.gif

He's managed to get out twice for the day in the last few weeks and does get put in the school when it's free or any other spare gateway
blush.gif

He's not in the slightest bit bothered (I am he's a filthy git!) and his behaviour has not changed at all. So haven't needed to cut his hard feed down
smile.gif

I am worried about him being in for this length of time as have not been able to exercise him all that much
frown.gif

wizzi901

www.pony4u.co.uk
I want a gold star for chucking ALL of mine out when its been torrential all day, they went out in the snow the lot...they do come in at night tho....does that make me soft??! lol

JM07

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I want a gold star for chucking ALL of mine out when its been torrential all day, they went out in the snow the lot...they do come in at night tho....does that make me soft??! lol

[/ QUOTE ]

Alright, alright...a gold star for you too...

wink.gif
wink.gif

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
They have been out everyday same as usual, only a couple of hours later if we could manage so had defrosted a little. Think they had one day last week they went out at lunchtime but then left them till gone 6. so have been feeding the same.

and miraculously managed their normal workload!

Porkie

Visit site
Mine was in Mon - Sat this week, out yesterday as most of snow has gone and have yet to find out what happened today - it's raining so hard here now!!
frown.gif

Didn't cut down on feed but in fairness he gets mainly just chaff and a few pony nuts, so doesn't make a lot of difference if I cut it back or not, he was still pee'd off at being in !! Coped well but just had the hump! Bless!

Hovis_and_SidsMum

Visit site
Right I'm complaining to admin! This is blatent gold star favouritism.
wink.gif

Despite being a hard nosed cowbag about my lad being out in all weathers i can't get the bugger across the yard due to the ice. I've cut down his feed and do i get a gold star? NO
What do i have to do? Ritually flog him with a holly branch to get one? Is this a northern thing?
shocked.gif

Nats_uk

Visit site
Hard feed in winter
shocked.gif

Lol - seriously B is not on any food which could "heat" him up in the winter (for my health!!
wink.gif
). He gets alfa a oil, alfa beet and pony cubes - strangely I have to feed more of it when he is in as he stresses his weight off when he is in his stable without turnout for a long period.

He is out today though and has been since last Wednesday (only in before that due to eye ulcer
crazy.gif
)

P.S. Nice to see you back
grin.gif
grin.gif

Bosworth

www.ballhillequestrian.co.uk
Mine don't get a reduction in their feed when I leave them in cos a) i only leave them in once in a blue moon (today just happens to be that day as we are now thawing, flooding and torrential rain) and b) i feed Simple Systems feeds so thats just fibre anyway. And you won;t hear me complaining that mine are loons cos they aren't. Even my yearling is an angel after being in 24 hours, just meanders out on his leadrope. No charging around, no madness. And I have a TB, and 2 DWBxTB and my yearling TBxDWB so they have potential to be real idiots. Can I have a gold star for having sane horses 365 days a year regardless of what they do. Go on JM I deserve it.