Horsey novel suggestions for older teens :-)

Visit site
I was wondering if any older teens out there or adults can give any suggestions for horsey novels that I can read? I love but have grown out of many of the series from childhood, saddle club etc. I have read the Scorpio Races, The horse whisperer and Chosen by a Horse and older classics, Black beauty etc. Jilly Cooper is a bit ‘old’ for me. There doesn’t seem to be any really teen relevant? I’m wanting a 13 reasons why/Fault in our stars kind of book but with horses! Suggestions would be most welcome!! :)
Jade

HashRouge

Visit site
Blind Beauty by KM Peyton would be ideal for you! I read it as a teenager and loved it, and have re-read it periodically since. It's beautifully written, and aimed at an older audience than most horse books. Can't recommend it enough! Warning though, you might cry!

KittenInTheTree

Visit site
There's an American author called Mary Pagones who has written a few horse themed books - YA and NA category. And then going back a few years, there is Caroline Akrill's Eventing trilogy.

millikins

Visit site
These are all quite old but I still read them as does my daughter (early 20's). The Flambards series by KM Peyton; set in WW1 gives you horses, hunting, tangled relationships and aeroplanes. Or The Wild Heart by Helen Griffiths, an ugly but fast Argentinian mare made vicious by ill treatment and the terrible choice a small crippled boy has to make to set her free.

pixie27

Visit site
Oh Blind Beauty was one of my favourite books growing up, it's falling apart I've read it so much! Such a brilliant book.

Karen McGoldricks 'The Dressage Chronicles' are really good - about a working student in a dressage barn in the US. There are four books so perfect to get into if you like the first.

Ditto Caroline Akrill's eventing series too.

'In the Pink' is a hilarious hunting autobiography of two young women who set out to find husbands, and so by learning how to ride/hunt. Maybe more young adult/adult than teen, but really funny and very well written (she's a journalist I think).

I started on Jilly Cooper when I was 15/16 I think? But I went to an all-girls school and we were all bloody obsessed.

ETA - have you read the Heartland series? I LOVED them growing up. There's a series on Netflix too if you like it.

Lexi_

Visit site
Lots of good suggestions above!

Steer well clear of The One Dollar Horse though. I genuinely think it’s the worst book I’ve ever read.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Anything by K.M. Peyton definitely read her books as an older teen, there is quite a lot about relationships and the difficulties of growing up. Joyce Stranger is also good and there are other themes within them.

Also I liked Dick Francis novels about racing. I read prolifically and read these from about 15 onwards.

Here’s a previous thread that has some suggestions.

http://www.horseandhound.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?665239-Good-horsey-fiction-novels-read

Visit site
Thank you so much for all the suggestions so far!! Yes, maybe I should have said young adult not teen, I’m looking for more that kind of read! I’ve read and loved the Eventing series already :). I’ve heard about the One Dollar Horse series, though not read any, so thanks for that advice! Heartland, Dressage Chronicles and In the Pink sound fab and will look those up and the KM Peyton Books. These will keep me going. There doesn’t seem many modern ones written for adults, the great books all seem to have been written ages ago! Thanks again for all the suggestions :)
Jade

turnbuckle

Visit site
May be a bit heavy to start with, but Surtees is well worth getting into.

Second In The Pink.

And if you don't mind regressing a few years (to about 8) A Pony In The Luggage is lovely. I still love it age 53.

sychnant

Visit site
If you have a Kindle, anything by Kate Lattey (Showjumping) or Natalie Keller Reinert (Eventing) :) As mentioned, The Dressage Chronicles by Karen McGoldrick are also fab :)

Crazy_cat_lady

Visit site
I am late 20's but still love a good horse book.

Kate Lattey's books are great she has a couple of different series and also the eventing series by Natalie Keller Reinert. She also does a series based on racing featuring a couple called Alex and Alexander think the series is names after them I enjoyed those too.

Also I can't remember who wrote them but the Loxwood series featuring an ex race horse and good as well.

asmp

Visit site
Fiona Walker's early ones were quite horsey and very amusing. I think the first one in the Series about a character called Tash was Well Groomed, if my memory is correct.

Louise Tino

Visit site
Rafferty Lincoln Loves... by Emily Williams is for young adults and is much more modern. Written for a horse charity too :). I still have my old horsey books at home which I re-read often! Love Patricia Leitch books.

Amicus

Visit site
As said before K M Peyton all her books are brilliant more YA would be Blind Beauty, The Last Ditch, The Sound of Distant Cheering, Flambards, Small Gains - I'm a bit of fan ;) Caroline Akrill is also brilliant if you've read the eventer trilogy there's Flying Changers which is a bit darker but equally as good. More recent author who was quite good was Eleanor McGraw with a pony named Mouse and a boy called Fire - might be a bit odd/young for you but I think one of the more interesting new pony books.
I found the One Dollar Horse quite readable but not really of the same quality or realism.

Dizzy socks

Visit site
I agree on Blind Beauty. I'm 18, and used to collect horse books. I'll have a look when I'm home, I have a couple hundred but I'm struggling a bit off the top of my head. I didn't think the One Dollar Horse was terrible, but there's definitely better out there.

Heartland is good if slightly predictable, and it crosses over with Chestnut Hill. Many of the older ones are best I personally think, e.g Pullein-Thomson's, Mary Gervaise.

You could try Samantha Alexander's Riders series which I think you'd like - although the relationship in it makes me pretty uncomfortable.

But really, try Blind Beauty. And if you like K.M. Peyton then go for Fly By night, and then The Team - which is a slightly more grown up sequel.

Visit site
Okay, I have been busy on Amazon! I have bought Blind Beauty, Rafferty Lincoln Loves, In the Pink and The horse Dancer to satisfy the older teen/adult in me. And then to satisfy the child pony lover in me, I bought Eleanor McGraw and Fly by Night. Some of the child memories from the books like by Christine Pullein-Thomson and Ruby Ferguson that came up, I wish I had more money! I want to add to the collection I already have!!

Great suggestions, more will go on my birthday list so keep them coming if you know anymore, especially more modern young adult ones :) thank you!
Jade

HashRouge

Visit site
Okay, I have been busy on Amazon! I have bought Blind Beauty, Rafferty Lincoln Loves, In the Pink and The horse Dancer to satisfy the older teen/adult in me. And then to satisfy the child pony lover in me, I bought Eleanor McGraw and Fly by Night. Some of the child memories from the books like by Christine Pullein-Thomson and Ruby Ferguson that came up, I wish I had more money! I want to add to the collection I already have!!

Great suggestions, more will go on my birthday list so keep them coming if you know anymore, especially more modern young adult ones :) thank you!
Jade

Fab! Let us know how you get on, we're a nosy bunch :D

Wishfilly

Visit site
Definitely agree the Eventing series by Natalie Keller Reinhert is really good.

I think most of these are only available as e-books, so might be good if you have access to a kindle or a laptop.

The A-Circuit series by Georgina Bloomberg and Catherine Hapka, about three girls at a very posh show barn in America, with different issues in their lives.

The island series, starting with Appaloosa Summer by Tudor Robins, about a Canadian girl, starting with how she overcomes losing her horse in a fairly horrible way.

Anything by Kim Ablon Whitney, who also writes about the American showjumping circuit. My favourite of hers is "The Perfect Distance" about a girl who's father is a groom, and wishes she could show at the top level but her family doesn't have the money.

And finally the Loxwood Series, by Grace Wilkinson, which is about a girl who retrains Ex-Racers, basically.

They're all properly "young adult" so hopefully there's something in there that you like.

Sukistokes2

Visit site
If you don't mind a bit of Fantasy, then you could do worst then the Mercedes Lackey
" Arrows of the queen" trilogy. the horses are Guardian angels, that appear as horses. lovely little books , they are not too magic orientated, more about a child escaping abuse and growing up. I adore these books, so much I still buy them as books to keep, rather then just on my kindale.
if you swap the horses for dragons then Anne McCaffery is good to :D

Anne Mc Caffery's book "The Lady" is a pure horsey book. :)

Sophire

Visit site
Oh I loved Blind Beauty. I recently gave a lot of books to charity but kept that in case I wanted to read it again. Lovely book.

Visit site
Love having a kindle (well app on my phone) so can straight away start reading :). I bought a couple in paperback, but most downloaded so got stuck in!

Read Blind Beauty last night, aww what a lovely story. It didn't take me long to read. The cover made it seem more like a child's pony book but it wasn't, so thank you for that suggestion :). It was a great story! About to start Rafferty Lincoln Loves next and there is a nice bit from jockey Frankie Dettori at the start and info about the charity for racehorses. Looks a good read, so can't wait to get stuck in!

I have read some of the Riders series already, and agree with comments about the relationship being a bit weird in the story. I have two copies of the first in the series, strangly! I read them in my early teens, a few years ago now. Kate Lattey seems to have written loads so will look into her, though they do seem for younger readers but will maybe try one. I dont mind regressing back to childhood on occasions!! I've just dug out a few more old ones I have at home.

Thanks again :), back to the college work!!

Louise Tino

Visit site
Enjoy the reading! I saw the book Rafferty Lincoln Loves on the racing charities FB page that’s why it sprung to mind. It’s very new out and apparently quite good and fits the young adult range well. I also loved Thoroughbred by Joanna Campbell as a teen, but looking back now it seems for younger readers. Also loved saddle club but again for younger. Teens seem to read much older books they did than when I was a teenager! I’d happily read YA books now as they seem to cater and appeal to adults too. There’s lots of good suggestions above so keep us informed what you think!

cauda equina

Visit site
Another vote for Horse Heaven.
Also, just about anything by Molly Keane

If you're interested in memoirs as well as fiction, Marjorie Quarton's Breakfast the Night Before is a fantastic book

Suechoccy

Visit site
Modern horse novels aimed at teenagers: Sheena Wilkinson's Grounded, Taking Flight, which feature a troubled teenage boy as the main character.