Horsey novel suggestions for older teens :-)

HashRouge

Visit site
You could try Samantha Alexander's Riders series which I think you'd like - although the relationship in it makes me pretty uncomfortable.
There are some very inappropriate relationships at play in the Samantha Alexander books! Riders is weird, but that one about the horse charity is even weirder. I'm sure the main female character is having a relationship with an 18 year old when she is 13 :eek:

scats

Visit site
There are some very inappropriate relationships at play in the Samantha Alexander books! Riders is weird, but that one about the horse charity is even weirder. I'm sure the main female character is having a relationship with an 18 year old when she is 13 :eek:

Yeh that’s the Hollywell stables books. The character in it is 12 and has a relationship with a 17 or 18 year old. When I read it as a kid I remember thinking it was a bit weird, but now it’s downright creepy!

Louise Tino

Visit site
Read an article today on the book you’re reading, interesting...

https://bookloversbooklist.com/2018...emily-williams/amp/?__twitter_impression=true

Certainly weird those Riders books were, there seems to be no mention anywhere about the totally inappropriate relationship, apart from one Goodreads member saying it was creepy haha!! I suppose there wasn’t a place back then for people to discuss what they thought online! Didn’t realise how old some of these books are now, makes me feel old!!

I’m going to have to look into some of these book suggestions too.

P.S Found on amazon that The Lost Pony of Riverdale is free for kindle. Probably far too young for what you’re looking for, but worth a quick read to take you back to those childhood memories?

Visit site
P.S Louise thanks for article on Rafferty Lincoln Loves. It’s well worth a read if you haven’t already. Def a more up to date young adult horsey book, it was awesome! Now on to ‘In the Pink’, then have to wait for my paperbacks to arrive. Jade

Visit site
Also, yes think the Riverdale books are a bit young for me (I want more of an adult read) but I’ve downloaded it anyway as anything with ponies in it will keep my interest!

Last edited:
Visit site
Sounds great Emma, will give it a look and well done on your writing :). Have you read many of the others mentioned? You have to read Rafferty Lincoln Loves, it’s great and Blind Beauty nearly had me in tears too! Both emotional books though Rafferty Lincoln Loves is more modern and def for older teens due to language and issues raised. I do like a good sob and twist in the story! Thanks again Emma, your book sounds fab. Jade

Visit site
I have all the Jinny books! I love them! How I longed for a wild Arab! My fluffy welsh pony is the best now though!! Yes definitely check out those two books, I really wanted a much older modern read and Rafferty Lincoln Loves certainly fulfilled that and Blind Beauty reminded me of all the horsey books I loved as a child but written for older teens. Think Rafferty... is quite new out too and the proceeds go to help retired racehorses. I’m nearly not a teen so maybe should be looking more at adult books like that one, but I love any pony books so will check yours out :). I’m not ready to grow up yet!! Jade

First Flame

Visit site
One Silver Summer by Rachel Hickman, it was written by the Mum of a girl I know. I've yet to read it but think it is meant to be a sweet easy YA read featuring a grey horse :D.

Visit site
I’m waiting for the paperback of the Horse dancer to arrive :), def looks my kind of read! Haha Pixie, that made me laugh! I love anything horsey too :), recommend Rafferty Lincoln Loves and I’ll let you know about any others. Enjoying In the Pink, hilarious, though don’t find I’m warming to the characters, they’re a little annoying but fun! Jade

ChestnutWelshie

Visit site
I devoured anything by Dick Francis as a teenager, excellent books combining crime and racehorses, my mum had them all and I think I've read pretty much everything he wrote. Tried the one he wrote with his son Felix but wasn't impressed. Jenny Pitman has also written some good books about a lady racehorse trainer, I can't think of the titles but a quick Google will find them for you. If you've read Blind Beauty and Fly-By-Night (one of my favourite books) make sure you read The Team by K.M Peyton. Also recommend the Flambards books, they're very interesting stories. Happy reading :)

ozpoz

Visit site
Oh, another for Horse Heaven.. I think it must be time to read it again - (If I can face the chapter near the end about Justabob, which makes me cry.)

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
I loved the Flambards books by KM Peyton. Not so much the second one as there's not so many horses in there, but the first and third. I think you can read them at a lot of different levels, I read the first one aged about 7 or 8 and was just interested in the horses, then reread it as an adult and kept thinking 'was this really suitable for a child?'!

ChestnutWelshie

Visit site
Lol TheOldTrout - we read the first Flambards at high school, looking back they do deal with some adult themes but in a sensible straightforward manner. I love how she writes about relationships, and her horsey and other knowledge make all of her books a pleasure.

TheOldTrout

Completely Unknown Member
Visit site
Lol TheOldTrout - we read the first Flambards at high school, looking back they do deal with some adult themes but in a sensible straightforward manner. I love how she writes about relationships, and her horsey and other knowledge make all of her books a pleasure.

I think that's why I could read them at a young age without the adult themes being an 'issue' - apart from the fact that they weren't my main focus in the book (the horses were!), the writing was, as you say, very straightforward and sensible.

ChestnutWelshie

Visit site
Her books certainly are versatile, readable by kids for the horses and then by adults - I've kept all of them to re-read as it's lovely having a weekend immersing yourself in good childhood books isn't it :)

pixie

Visit site
OK, just having a quick look through my kindle. There are a few who have written one-off books, but I've just listed those with series here:

Caroline Akrill - Eventing trilogy (eventing; set in UK)

Jessica Burkhart - Canterwood Crest series (set in a horsey boarding school in USA; suitable for younger teens; horse/fashion/boy oriented - ie lots of txt spk text messages!)

Maggie Dana - Timber Ridge Riders series (set in a riding school in USA; suitable for younger teens)

Kate Lattey - Pony Jumpers/Dare to Dream/Clearwater Bay series (Showjumping; set in New Zealand)

Karen McGoldrick - Dressage Chronicles series (Dressage; set in USA)

Genevieve Mckay - Defining Gravity series (set in USA/Canada)

Barbara Morgenroth - Bittersweet Farm series (Eventing/showjumping/hunting; set in USA; more mature themes)

Mary Pagones - Fortunes Fool series (Eventing; set in USA; lead is a gay male, which makes a nice change, but his arrogant internal monologue and musical superiority complex really grates me)

Natalie Keller Reinert - Eventing Series/Alex and Alexander/Heroines on Horseback series (Eventing/Racing/Historic; mostly set in USA; I've really enjoyed all of her books)

Tudor Robins - Island series (set in Canada)

Claire Svendsen - Pony Jumping Dreams (Showjumping; set in USA; there are LOTS of books in this series, each 2-3 hours reading)

Kim Ablon Whitney - Show Circuit series (set in USA)

Grace Wilkinson - Loxwood/Full of Running series (Racing; set in UK)

Jill's Gym Karma

Visit site
My Friend Flicka is definitely for younger readers, but Thunderhead and Green Grass Of Wyoming dealt with much more adult themes. I loved the sections written from the horse's point of view in the wild, not cuddly or anthropomorphised at all.

You could consider non-fiction too; I don't think it's in print any more but Monica Dickens' Talking Of Horses was a really engaging view of the horses of her life (and her Follyfoot novels from the 70s are worth a read too). Other good non-fiction I recommend is Monty Roberts' The Horses In My Life, and The Horse by Wendy Williams (loads of really interesting recent research into equine pyschology and wild horse behaviour).

ChestnutWelshie

Visit site
Oh yes, non-fiction; Pat Smythe's Jump for Joy is a fabulous book. A fascinating insight in to another era of showjumpers and a woman who paved the way for lady riders, and contains some amazing photos :)

Jill's Gym Karma

Visit site
Oh yes, non-fiction; Pat Smythe's Jump for Joy is a fabulous book. A fascinating insight in to another era of showjumpers and a woman who paved the way for lady riders, and contains some amazing photos :)

I think Pat Smythe's story would make a fantastic film, if they could find an actress who could sit in the saddle properly! I wonder how well she would have done at the 1952 Olympics if she'd been allowed to ride.

Visit site
I’m loving reading all these suggestions too! Thank you so much everyone for your help. I’ve had a few days busy with college work but I’m going to be back stuck in reading over weekend. Finished ‘In the Pink’ and onto the next!! Lots of these I’ve never heard of, so thank you for all the suggestions :)