Hosepipe ban

Tiddlypom

Carries on creakily
Visit site
Just to say, this is what I use to wet my horse all over if I'm not using a hosepipe. This is a Haas wash brush with both sponge and bristles, but other makes are available :). It helps to brush the water right into the coat, rather than the water running straight off.

5 litres of water in an old supplement pot is more than enough to saturate my 16.1 hh IDx all over. It wouldn't do for aggressive cooling of a horse post XC, but it's fine to keep a field kept horse comfortable.

33B87A06-0E2E-4E18-A83A-D780C51F3EF3.jpeg

I'm old enough to remember 1976, which was my A level year, and that taps did indeed run dry and many people had to rely on standpipes.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Question! We are not on mains water so does a hose pipe ban apply if it happens in our area?
Not that I use a hose pipe for any other reason than horses, well also to water my tomatoes as they are in such a silly position it’s hard to carry cans over.
My garden and lawn died long ago.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
People can be as petulant as they want about what’s allowed or not during a ban or continuing to use water as much as they wish pre a ban but when water does actually run out or stand pipes are the only way of getting your water then we’ll all suffer as will our animals. This water also feeds our rivers and supports wildlife so over-abstraction will severely damage them.

I just don’t understand that mentality unless everyone thinks the water companies are making it up and there really is an infinite supply of water they’re not telling us about. Private water supplies can also run dry by the way.

TGM

Visit site
Question! We are not on mains water so does a hose pipe ban apply if it happens in our area?
Not that I use a hose pipe for any other reason than horses, well also to water my tomatoes as they are in such a silly position it’s hard to carry cans over.
My garden and lawn died long ago.

If you have a private water supply (ie doesn't come from a water supply company) then if your local water supply company implement a ban then it won't apply to you. Well that's what is says on the website of my water supply company on their FAQs about the ban.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
People can be as petulant as they want about what’s allowed or not during a ban or continuing to use water as much as they wish pre a ban but when water does actually run out or stand pipes are the only way of getting your water then we’ll all suffer as will our animals. This water also feeds our rivers and supports wildlife so over-abstraction will severely damage them.

I just don’t understand that mentality unless everyone thinks the water companies are making it up and there really is an infinite supply of water they’re not telling us about. Private water supplies can also run dry by the way.
this!! the news here was covering an Oxford village that had "run dry" and the water co were having to supply bottled water and tankers to pipe into the mains, i wouldnt be having very polite thoughts about people who were using water in a non-responsible way "because they could" if i was living there!

TGM

Visit site
Doesn't help horse and hound saying its fine either. How is washing down a horse box or trailer important enough to be eligible to be exempt unless like I say it's a vet or transporter one for hygiene purposes. Baffles me they are selling it as fine

Horse & Hound are just clarifying what the details of the hosepipe ban are in respect of animals. They are not saying do as you like! In fact the very next paragraph after the exemptions they say:

"As long as you are genuinely using a hosepipe for the welfare of your horse and not abusing the interpretation of these rules, you should have no concerns. Responsible use of water is encouraged at the stables, as it is in your homes, to avoid putting added pressure on the supply during this period of high temperatures with little no rain forecast. "

But it is good for horse-owners to know they can use a hosepipe IF they need to.

Smitty

Visit site
A chap 3 doors down from me is washing his car meticulously with a hosepipe. It's normally filthy!!! I suspect he thinks he will beat the ban which must surely be coming.

poiuytrewq

Visit site
If you have a private water supply (ie doesn't come from a water supply company) then if your local water supply company implement a ban then it won't apply to you. Well that's what is says on the website of my water supply company on their FAQs about the ban.
Thanks, I wasn’t sure if a hose ban was a blanket thing to the area rather than company, although I guess it’s not like electric where you can choose supplier maybe, so assume those two things are the same ?‍♀️

poiuytrewq

Visit site
Today I am brilliant.my bathroom is down stairs.
I kept my bathwater and syphoned it into a tub in the garden. It was really simple to do.
The only thing is the neighbours might think I'm using tap water as used the hose .
Don't you just love it when an idea works out first time with no hassle!
Very clever!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
this!! the news here was covering an Oxford village that had "run dry" and the water co were having to supply bottled water and tankers to pipe into the mains, i wouldnt be having very polite thoughts about people who were using water in a non-responsible way "because they could" if i was living there!

Haddenham here has had to have bottles delivered but that’s because they’ve had I think at least 5 major leaks in the last couple of weeks so the water tower was dry and was going to take some time to replenish once they’d fixed the latest one (which happened yesterday)

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I kept my bathwater and syphoned it into a tub in the garden. It was really simple to do.
The only thing is the neighbours might think I'm using tap water as used the hose .

This is exactly what my mum did in 76. We lived in a bungalow and she and my Nan had a thriving vegetable patch in the garden all watered with bath water. We didn’t have the same type of soap products that we do now so water always used to look scummy after everyone had been through it but the veggies tasted fine.

luckyoldme

Visit site
I fitted a drain and a water butt to my potting shed in spring.
It saves the back of the shed from getting all soaked and covered in green moss. I just like the idea of not wasting water.

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
We aren't on a hosepipe ban yet but anyone can see it's on the cards
Out of the 8 houses here 7 have yellow lawns.
The other one has a massive paddling pool, a sprinkler going and a lush green lawn.
Some people get it and can think.outside of their own wants, and others can't.

The neighbour with the horror child?

When you have to save even more water then you can flush the loo with the bathwater.

luckyoldme

Visit site
The neighbour with the horror child?

When you have to save even more water then you can flush the loo with the bathwater.
Yes?
They must have been stalking me on here because he is not around very much!

On another note , out and about on the bikes we noticed the pea harvest is very poor.not enough rain for them. Even the Scottish Borders are dry; Later on in the year we won't have any peas because of Brexit/government/Ukraine.

anguscat

Visit site
I’ve always rather hankered after one of those Edwardian looking contraptions for holding water and wheeling it around the garden. They look like a metal bin on a trolley frame with two handles at waist height. Definitely lust-worthy. Sigh….

MagicMelon

Visit site
I have one of those barrels with my stable guttering going down into it. We have to be very careful with water in our house (my stables are right next door so we share same water supply) as we are on a private well, with these dry summers now a lot of my neighbours wells have gone dry or failed completely. Ours has gone dry a couple times this summer so we are always very careful about using it. I have the barrel as a backup in case I cant use the tap for filling their water buckets daily. I think you guys are very lucky you only have a hosepipe ban - because we're private, we get no help at all when we run out! We have been quoted £10k to get a borehole done and connecting to mains would cost even more. Nightmare!