Hottest day of the year so far

tankgirl1

Visit site
And my FB feed is full of people suddenly riding their horses for hours, or walking their dogs for miles? WTF is wrong with people? My mare is unfit so have left her be this weekend as she struggles with the heat. I hate seeing horses dragged out the field coz it's a sunny bank holiday, dogs overheating right left and centre Grrrr!

ihatework

Visit site
I rode for 2 hours yesterday, what’s wrong with that?!
It was ‘only’ mid 20’s

w1bbler

Visit site
I took my coblet out for a normal 2 hour hack, he went the best /fastest he has in the year I've had him, think he enjoyed the dry ground -he has been struggling with getting his huge fluffy hooves out of the mud all winter.
He is reasonably fit though, this wasn't dragging him out for the first time after a winter off, which is what I think op is referring to.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
I rode for 2 hours yesterday, what’s wrong with that?!
It was ‘only’ mid 20’s

I suppose that what matters is whether your horse is used to working in that heat, and if it's in good condition. Up at the yard where I ride, the horses work all year round, so the only time a horse will be out of condition is if it's been injured and out of work for a while. And unless we get a very sudden change in temperature, they have a bit of time to get used to the summer heat.

We were jumping yesterday afternoon in the heat: easily 30°C in the sun, probably closer to 32°C, and I suppose between 25°C and 28°C in the shade, of which there was very little.

My horse was a little bit sweaty but nothing unusual at all. He never got out of breath and had plenty of time to rest, just walking or trotting a little, and I stood him in the bit of shade I could find, from time to time.

scats

Visit site
Went to watch friends daughter showjumping on Sunday, hottest day we’ve had this year by far. It saddens me how many people use their horses as chairs, particularly when there was absolutely no shade there at all so the horses were stood in blazing sunshine.
I saw several people sat on their horses between classes for 3-4 hours at a time. Horses weren’t offered a drink and no attempt was made to move them to shade or let them have a break from the rider being in the saddle. There were a lovely little group of kids, no older than 12, who got off their ponies between classes and loosened girth’s, offered water etc. They put a lot of the older teenagers and adults to shame.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Mine worked as normal yesterday too and have done all week... they also had a day in the field enjoying the sunshine :) I try to stick to a normal routine in all weather until it gets crazy hot because I compete so it's best if they are acclimatised to it as much as poss.

Salty went for a hack in the morning and then Kira went out in the box for a 2 hour hack somewhere new in the afternoon. She got a bit warm but was full of beans and happy to be out. She's fit as a fiddle... it doesn't do her any harm to sweat a bit.

SEL

Visit site
My mare has stopped sweating again which is really frustrating! It doesn't get her out of work (she's only in rehab mode anyway), but it does mean I have to do her first thing when its cooler.

Antw23uk

Visit site
Saturday I was in the saddle for two hours on my mare and an hour on my gelding but I was off the yard about 0700 and finished and done by 1030 and Sunday I had a lay-in so rather than hack I popped them both up to the neighbours school at about 0900, popped a few jumps to remind us all how its done and then they were washed off and turned out again. It probably took me longer to tack up and walk to the school than it took to jump them (why ask for more when they give you perfect within five minutes?)

Monday, couldnt be arsed so they had a day off, lol! I agree about asking for too much in the heat and it annoys me seeing people out walking dogs in the heat but done with some consideration and common sense, it wasnt actually that hot in the early 20's for a bit of horse riding. Too hot for me thats for sure which is why I rode early (although I tend to ride early anyway to be fair)

SEL

Visit site
I used to take rides out when I worked in Oz in the high 30s - but both me & the horses were acclimatised. I'd collapse in a heap if I had to do that now!

McFluff

Visit site
I took my horse to a clinic yesterday when it was 26 in the sun... I did consider pulling out, but as the instructor pointed out, I compete, and was preparing for a competition at the end of July, when it is likely to be that hot!!!

But to be fair, she is fit, and the 'work' was what we would normally do - just in the rare event of sunshine!

Mosh

Visit site
I didn't ride mine since she was sweating in the field and she's unfit at the minute. She is also not lost all of her full winter coat.
I would have ridden if she was at full fitness and clipped out.