Houghton Hall EC

icestationzebra

Visit site
Does anyone compete there?

I have heard how nice it is, and they are running BD this weekend. However I have emailed them, text them on the advertised mobile number and tried calling the office several times and no one ever answers :( BD site says they take late entries but how the hell do you get them to communicate with you!!!!

Is is nice enough to make the effort, or do I give up and find somewhere else to go?

GRRR! :confused:

comet!

Visit site
Can you do an online entry via Equine Affairs? That should let you enter right until they stop the entries to do times.

icestationzebra

Visit site
Thanks everyone. I am always amazed at some businesses approach to customer service!!

However - Comet - you are a genius! I have now entered online via Equine Affairs which I didn't even think of - so I guess they can't ignore me or my money now!!!

loopiesteff

Visit site
They are totally useless,but rumour has it about to change! again!!

This.

I tried for DAYS to get hold of someone for arena hire. Found out my friend had spoken to them straight away and booked. Phoned again and again, text them, emailed. Nothing. Then finally they picked up the phone and I got "what do you want?" - well for you NOT to be rude for one! Took my business elsewhere!

icestationzebra

Visit site
This.

I tried for DAYS to get hold of someone for arena hire. Found out my friend had spoken to them straight away and booked. Phoned again and again, text them, emailed. Nothing. Then finally they picked up the phone and I got "what do you want?" - well for you NOT to be rude for one! Took my business elsewhere!

Incredible! A lot of these big centres seem to come up for sale and change hands a lot - and I know the financial pressures they are under - however, good responsive customer service costs nothing and will help grow your business!! Let's see how I get on this weekend shall we? ;)

dianchi

Visit site
I was impressed with their new layout when I when last year for 2nd rounds dressage- have always entered online- just easier!
However I don't find them that good to deal with person to person and they choose some really odd judges who aren't very positive with their comments. Got an entire test sheet back with not one positive or encouraging remark on it.

It wouldn't surprise me that after all the investment they want to move it on to someone who can run it tho!

Visit site
Such a shame that so many have had bad experiences.

I went for the first time last month and they were very nice and welcoming, they even helped us when we got lost (and called back when we lost signal).

It is a lovely place and very much enjoyed competing there. I am going back Saturday for BD too.

kp31

Visit site
Such a shame that so many have had bad experiences.

I went for the first time last month and they were very nice and welcoming, they even helped us when we got lost (and called back when we lost signal).

It is a lovely place and very much enjoyed competing there. I am going back Saturday for BD too.

As above we went for the first time last month for the Junior BS. Really enjoyed it and when it is finished i should imagine it will be lovely. A really straight run from Leicestershire, took us 1 1/4 hrs in bad weather. Would definitely go back and the prize money was fab!!

BeckyC

Visit site
I think it just depends, I have been there for shows and they have been lovely but recently i booked to use the jumps there and turned up and there were no jumps to use, and all the liveries were using the school. Unimpressed would be an understatement!!!

claire_p2001

asdexploitvangroenhove.weebly.com
I think it just depends, I have been there for shows and they have been lovely but recently i booked to use the jumps there and turned up and there were no jumps to use, and all the liveries were using the school. Unimpressed would be an understatement!!!

I went for SJ course hire and the school was empty! Had to get all the jumps out before starting not impressed at all. We also got lost but were literally less than 1 mile away and they were very unhelpful on the phone. I haven't been to a competition yet will be interested to see what they are like then.

Prince33Sp4rkle

Visit site
do think some of the bigger centres have a bit of a CBA attitude if you arent booking something thats making them thousands!

local huge competition centre is a nightmare to book school and several times after suggesting several times/dates and just getting "no" (with no suggestions as to when might be available)i gave up!

smaller centre however is fab, if i cant hold by phone i text the YM and she always without fail responds by phone or text within 24hours. Last time we went a member of the riding school side mis-quoted me the hire charge (should have be £70, 2 horses for 1.5hours with arena boards/markers) and told me £50. When i went to pay they let me off the extra £20 as it was their fault i hadnt bought enough cash with me.

customer service costs nothing,the smaller places seem to have this nailed!

ETA-will def be returning to same venue to do final freestyle run though, so by letting me off £20 they have bagged themselves another £70 in the near future.

popsdosh

Visit site
The reason for delay is somebody has taken over doing times at short notice amongst much upheaval! It has come to pass sooner than expected!

icestationzebra

Visit site
Just seen this on BD. Not sure it explains why they couldn't reply to emails or mobile number, but thought I would mention it in case you are going to phone to get your times.

http://www.britishdressage.co.uk/news/show/1923-houghton-hall-bd-show-11-12-january

The reason for delay is somebody has taken over doing times at short notice amongst much upheaval! It has come to pass sooner than expected!

So it might be chaos on Sat then ? ;)

icestationzebra

Visit site
Just seen this on BD. Not sure it explains why they couldn't reply to emails or mobile number, but thought I would mention it in case you are going to phone to get your times.

http://www.britishdressage.co.uk/news/show/1923-houghton-hall-bd-show-11-12-january

do think some of the bigger centres have a bit of a CBA attitude if you arent booking something thats making them thousands!

local huge competition centre is a nightmare to book school and several times after suggesting several times/dates and just getting "no" (with no suggestions as to when might be available)i gave up!

smaller centre however is fab, if i cant hold by phone i text the YM and she always without fail responds by phone or text within 24hours. Last time we went a member of the riding school side mis-quoted me the hire charge (should have be £70, 2 horses for 1.5hours with arena boards/markers) and told me £50. When i went to pay they let me off the extra £20 as it was their fault i hadnt bought enough cash with me.

customer service costs nothing,the smaller places seem to have this nailed!

ETA-will def be returning to same venue to do final freestyle run though, so by letting me off £20 they have bagged themselves another £70 in the near future.

I think I know the big one you mean :) always been a bit tricky but are really efficient on show days which is why I am missing it ;) agree about the small goodwill gestures paying dividends - some places don't seem to care whether their customers return or not!

icestationzebra

Visit site
Just reporting back, if anyone is interested! Had a lovely day there yesterday. BD was efficiently run and everyone was friendly. There is certainly a lot of work going on and it will be very impressive indeed when complete. Not sure if i'st new people there, but a chap came to ask me what I thought of the surface after I'd ridden my test. He said that it hadn't been looked after, but had gone in first thing to grade it to make it as good as possible for the day. I thought it was absolutely fine and my horse moved well on it.

If they can get the communications nailed too it will be a great venue. I'll be going back, it was worth the drive for the facilities.

:)

Holidays_are_coming

Visit site
I found out what happened the old people running it have been kicked out (they are still living in the house but not allowed on to the yard or show centre) yesterday's dressage was being run by Patsy Bates else it was going to be cancelled. I agree a lovely venue.

popsdosh

Visit site
Any one know who the new people are yet?
It isnt anybody new! Same ownership just management change. May be assuming to much but I suspect Patsy will be involved in some way!!
When you make that investment you expect results! however in the real world we all know you dont see it back! Watch this space as they say as the owner wont accept loses for very long and he has other businesses that could easily use that site .

Last edited: