House with land/outbuildings 2 horses- insurance query

Simzy

New User
Visit site
We are purchasing a property with 5 acres, due to complete next week. It won't be classed as a small holding because we are only putting our 2 horses on there for now, we may change later and have a few more animals but will change our policy as and when.
It has 3 outbuildings on the land. I have just got a quote from NFU, has anyone got any other recommendations? I have seen that some 'private home' insurers can include outbuildings but not sure that would be enough cover with us having horses on there..has anyone any words of wisdom? thanks :)

Petalpoos

Visit site
Always used NFU and found them very good, although it costs far more to insure the land than it does the house - I think it's all that third party liability in case someone trespasses on your land and breaks their leg tripping over on an old bit of baler twine you left lying around :D I don't think regular house insurance will do as their 'outbuildings' are more likely to be a garden shed or garage.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
We used to have standard household insurance, through HSBC, which is who the mortgage was with. They used the survey we had done for purchase to value the outbuildings etc.

About 6 years ago, we got a quote from NFU, think it would be higher. Nope, it was about 2/3 of the cost! So, now we are happy NFU customers.

Foxy O

Visit site
We have just had our renewal quote through with NFU and they want £140 extra this year, even though nothing has changed, we are home more and haven't claimed :mad:

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
I've always used NFU/UFU, they're easy to deal with, you get a human being to talk to (usually someone with local knowledge) and will tailor a policy specifically to your needs, and they are fair when it comes to paying out.

Simzy

New User
Visit site
We used to have standard household insurance, through HSBC, which is who the mortgage was with. They used the survey we had done for purchase to value the outbuildings etc.

About 6 years ago, we got a quote from NFU, think it would be higher. Nope, it was about 2/3 of the cost! So, now we are happy NFU customers.

thefarsideofthefield

Visit site
Our house , stables , outbuildings and land are all covered on our ordinary home and buildings policy . We did query that they understood we had stables , hay store etc and they said they did . Ever sceptical , we asked them to put it specifically on the policy ( rather than just ' ancillary out buildings ' ) which they did . We are with LV . It costs us the same as just ordinary house insurance . The contents are covered separately .

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
Our house , stables , outbuildings and land are all covered on our ordinary home and buildings policy . We did query that they understood we had stables , hay store etc and they said they did . Ever sceptical , we asked them to put it specifically on the policy ( rather than just ' ancillary out buildings ' ) which they did . We are with LV . It costs us the same as just ordinary house insurance . The contents are covered separately .

Ditto. Renew every year with whoever is the best value via a comparison website.

Simzy

New User
Visit site
That’s interesting thanks I’ll look into it ?