How are you keeping your ponies cool?

Molasses

Visit site
by like making sure they're listening to hip bands and are down with the kids with their own youtube channels
my nags are so friggin cool they're practically re-enacting the slow-mow walk from Top Gun in Aviators every morning

oh wait that's not the cool you mean is it?

tankgirl1

Visit site
by like making sure they're listening to hip bands and are down with the kids with their own youtube channels
my nags are so friggin cool they're practically re-enacting the slow-mow walk from Top Gun in Aviators every morning

oh wait that's not the cool you mean is it?

Where's the bloody like button on these newfangled forums ;)

Adopter

Visit site
Old stone barn is getting lots of use as it is cool and free of flies!

I wash them off each afternoon with cold water which they are getting used to now.

I am more concerned about their pink noses and getting factor 50 in the right places and on thick enough, I need the wash down after getting covered well in the stuff.

starryeyed

Visit site
Hahaaa Molasses!!

Much the same as the others really - each have a field shelter which they are all (surprisingly!) choosing to use. Lots of water available, very soaked hay at "lunchtime" for the one on restricted grass who refuses to drink out of buckets provided - at least he's getting some water this way! They're also getting midday showers this week as I'm off work so have plenty of time to play ponies during the day.

NinjaPony

Visit site
Water, hosing off after riding, I bring my little welsh a in for a shower, homemade frozen icepops with apple, and not working my pony really hard.

Ravenwood

Visit site
If I don't get to the field by 6.30am they are waiting at the gate desperate to come in. They stand in all day (very cool, dark shippon converted to stables) and I let them out again late evening. All four are in a field of about 12 acres that is naturally split into four but they have the run of all. There are very large beech tree hedges, a wooded area, natural water and a trough but they would much rather come into the yard and be stabled for the day in this weather, mostly to get out of the flies - we seem to be swarmed by horseflies at the moment. Two horses are in a field that is open to the cattle shed (I've sectioned off an area so they can come and go as they please) and they both stand in the shed all day (although the little cob that has come in for re-backing is a bit tougher and does go out sometimes during the day).
The horses may not be enjoying this weather but we are! We've made fabulous hay and silage so far :)

MileAMinute

Visit site
Not doing anything differently than usual :) horses have got a full trough of water, shade is available via a big tree, poo is cleared daily to reduce flies.

Pony gets a good blast with the hose after being ridden though which he loves!

kerrieberry2

Visit site
freezing big bottles of water and putting them in the troughs to cool the water down a little haha! they don't have much shade so I feel really guilty, but having the barn fenced off during the week, which means me heading down shortly to unload a load of old manky hay that's been stored in there! started the growling task the other day, it was killer!

MerrySherryRider

Visit site
You could invest in a super duper cooling body wrap at $150. Wet it and then spray periodically to keep it cool.
Or, you could wet a cotton sheet that's lying around the tack room for free.

Water and shade, preferably in the field with a breeze.

3Beasties

Visit site
I'm trying to ride much earlier than normal, been at the yard for 6:30am more often then not recently. They get a full hose down after exercise and have 24/7 access to a large field shelter which is where they spend more of their day. Not much else I can do for them really!

PolarSkye

Visit site
Fly rug/mask to keep off the flies, along with copious amounts of barrier spray . . . lots of water in field and stable . . . soaked hay as well as dry to encourage as much moisture intake as possible . . . a good spritz with the hose when brought in . . . stable door left open/stall chain up as long as possible when in . . . that's really all I can do at the moment. In at night/out in the day - perversely this works better than out at night because he just doesn't rest in the field so is tired in the mornings. He really doesn't like the heat, bless him :).

P