How did you find the most recent horse you bought? Word of mouth, online ad, etc?

How did you find the most recent horse you bought?

• Total voters

SpotsandBays

Visit site
Followed a stud that my friend bought a youngster from. Couple of years later an ad popped up for a really striking coloured and I sat on my hands and didn’t go for it, then a post popped up for my one and I just went for it. Best decision I’ve ever made! My first pony was word of mouth, second from a friend, third an advert and then finally the one I talked about above!

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
Online ad but belonged to the son of an acquaintance who also lives in the eye line of my house (about 1/2 mile away as the crow flies) Saw him hack her past once after seeing ad and thought she looked jolly. I had smooshed my knee so needed quiet horse to ride so after sitting on her for 2 laps of the school bough her. ? Turned out she was 4 years old by 5 days when I bought her and she'd never been anywhere other than the pub and a few hacks. Shes the only backed horse I've ever bought and the only one I enquired about and tried ?

Pony is an angel, fantastic in traffic (a huge tractor and trailer went past her when being ridden by old owner when I went to view) sweet natured and spent most of her 4th year babysitting/being good influence on various horses from a fancy PRE dressage horse to kids ponies. She's done alsorts since I got her and could do a lot more if I'd just man up and ride her better.

JennBags

HHOSS Wonder Woman
Visit site
I was looking through someone's Facebook page where he was selling young, big, sporty warmbloods which were totally unsuitable for me when an ad that had been shared by hjm popped up. It was for a 15.3hh sensible Irish type, although only 6yo. He was down in Wales but seemed suitable for me so I went to see him and bought him!

chaps89

Visit site
I guess word of mouth. I'd had a horse on LWVTB who wasn't suitable and had to be returned. Found a professional transporter on FB to take him back for me. She asked what I was looking for and sold me one of hers! That was coming up to 7 years ago now mind.

Visit site
Got roped into backing a few ponies as a favour for a local dealer. We clicked, I couldn’t bear to see him sold on to someone else, so I had to buy him myself.

vmac66

Visit site
From someone I knew. I'd just lost my gelding and asked the person if they knew of any horses for sale. She said she would sell me a mare she had and so Indie arrived.

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
It's forum history :) I rang a furloughed trekking centre to ask if they could lend me a companion for when I had one of my two PTS, and they had an unadvertised PRE for sale, the breed I was determined to buy next.

ihatework

Visit site
I bought 2 at once, one I had known since birth and had been quietly trying to buy for a little while, when I thought it probably wouldn’t happen I put a wanted advert up on Facebook and found the second. Number one then decided they would sell, so I had two ?

SOS

Visit site
Was very lucky to know the horse and owners well and when they even hinted at perhaps selling I jumped at the chance having ridden and known the horse for 6 years. I wish they were all like that. The rest have been from ads or word of mouth (unknown horse, known by others).

SheriffTruman

Visit site
Great topic!

I met my horse as a yearling at the farm were my lease horse was stabled (the farmer's wife breeds Arabians). One year later she called me to tell me he was for sale, and did I want him. I did.

Winters100

Visit site
Have been super lucky:)

Horse 1 bought from someone that I sold a horse to. She wasn't for sale, but at 14 was getting past the age for the high level that he competes at although perfectly suitable for my lower level. Owner had intended to semi-retire her, but felt that I would care for her well and not push her, so he was happy to let her come to me. She is an absolute angel, most wonderful schoolmistress without being lazy, we never have a bad day and she gave me back the confidence that I had lost from a serious accident.

Horse 2 bought from YO. Very good horse but without the 'explosive' power that he needs (and I most certainly do not want). More powerful than Horse 1 but totally sensible and a gentleman.

Horse 3 belonged to a friend who had to take an extended trip abroad. She put him at livery on the same yard as mine and asked me to take care and treat him as my own. I really liked him and mentioned that if she ever wanted to sell I would gladly buy him. My friend was finding horse ownership a bit much and was happy to sell. He is just great and of course I had the added advantage that I had been able to try him out for some weeks before buying:)

I feel very lucky to have these horses. Before buying my mare I was not sure if I would continue riding, so I owe her a lot.

AUB

Visit site
A friend of mine bought my mare as a 3 or 4 year old and I fell for it rightaway. I’ve been riding trakehners for the past 20 years and told her, that if she ever wanted to sell that one, she should let me know. Reminded her a few times over the next few years. Then in 2018, when I was still on maternity leave and had just bought a house my friend called and said “come and try the horse, if you don’t want her, I’ll just retire her and make her a broodmare”. So I went and tried her and of course told my friend on the spot that I wanted the horse, problems and all.

TGM

Visit site
The last three we actually purchased were from online ads. We bought one pony from my daughter through word of mouth. The others have been loans through word of mouth.

Red-1

I used to be decisive, now I'm not so sure...
Visit site
Rigsby was on Preloved. He certainly had been.

Last one was Horsequest, nice sports horse.

One before dealer, top quality.

One before that - gift horse - so not actually purchased!

Bernster

Visit site
Interesting that some kind of connection is coming up strongly with votes in the first 2 categories. Bought Finn via recommendation from my then instructor, who came to view from a dressage rider who tends to have a few on to bring on and sell. Prior to that, bought via this forum. And another forum connection with the lovely mare who is with me on lwvtb.

Goldenstar

Visit site
I got a I know where there’s a an interesting ID PM on here and that’s how the then naughty Sky arrived here .
H was an ad on horsequest
Fatty was a ad in H and H magazine .
Blue was on Facebook

Visit site
The last one we bought was from a dodgy pic of him at 3 months old as he went through the Lerwick sale for 50gns. Bought online then picked up from the docks 2 days later. That was 7 years ago. We have bought a few from sales over the years - mostly Shetlands. I have brought some home from work with me and some we have bred. So they have come from everywhere really.

Visit site
Preloved. (spotty unicorn)
Word of mouth from someone in the village (TB)
Beaulieu road sales (NF)
Rescue/given up (shettie)

The only time we've ever gone looking for a horse was for Diva. And we still didn't end up with what we were actually planning on buying, lol!