How did you find the most recent horse you bought? Word of mouth, online ad, etc?

How did you find the most recent horse you bought?

• Total voters

Widgeon

Visit site
Word of mouth - the horse was advertised but as a well known and sensibly priced PC type there were dozens of people queuing up to view within hours of the advert going up. We got first viewing via a friend of the seller who knew we were looking. I rode him at 7pm ish and had to make up my mind that night. It was very much a decision with my head and not my heart but I love him to bits now - it's hard not to love a sensible kind horse, particularly when he's worked out how to trade cuddles for snacks!

Scotsbadboy

Visit site
A friends daughter occasionally rides for a dealer. She popped in to see him last month, saw a big grey RID in the stable and thought of me. I didnt want a horse this side of winter and i definitely didnt want a grey again but went and saw him and liked him so I have him on a couple of months trial (pretty unheard of with a dealer but via the friend who vouched for me) and i cannot imagine him ever going back. In two weeks he has taken my confidence from 5% (I'll get on a horse if i must) to 90% (we hack out on our own and he's a total dude) Another couple of weeks and i will be back to my normal confident self with the bonus of a complete dude to call my own :)

I like to think we found each other really. He's never really had a 121 home and needed someone like me (not the best yard to be sold from either!) and i needed my faith in horses restoring :) Just a shame he's grey, lol! ;)

lialls

Visit site
mine came from a local vlogger. the seller had mentioned a couple of times on social media that the mare would be coming up for sale soon. I had some friends who knew the seller and contacted her that way. It worked really well as their friends already knew me and could vouch for the home and I could see everything the seller had done with the horse on her social media.

timbobs

Visit site
I was selling my box after losing my previous horse. Someone who came to see it told me about the trainer who was looking for a home for Ed as he’d finished racing. They said if I didn’t have him, they’d buy my box ?

I got Ed and kept the box for a few more years!

SEL

Visit site
My collection of freebies (not so free when you look at my vet bills...)

#1 - had been given to the YO of my local yard as a free project. She kept trying to kill him and I was on gardening leave so said I'd have a play. Absolutely wasn't planning to have another horse and she wasn't my type but she decided I was the only person she wasn't going to kill so he gave her to me.

#2 - also given to the same YO and was out with horse #1. Not earning his keep at the job he was supposed to be doing and YO didn't know what to do. He was practically mine anyway because I was looking after him alongside #1 so he stayed as a companion. Love the very bones of this one and will be devastated when we have to call time because of his dodgy joints.

#3 - earlier this year in lockdown a little broodmare on our yard was going to be passed back to her original dealer free of charge due to change in owner's circumstances. I said I'd have her with plan to sell her before Xmas. Unfortunately no one told me she couldn't breath properly (biiiiig vet's bill, but she's cute so we'll live with it!)

I am banned my my OH from having land because livery at least constrains my horse collecting.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
The current cob was bought from an online ad. I had seen her and felt drawn to her photo but thought she ws rather over-priced for a 2 yr old, so I had been to view something else which was actually smaller than advertised, so I looked again at the cob's ad and eventually rang and booked a viewing - she proved to be so sensible and unflappable even in heavy traffic that I couldn't leave her there. We bought a young Appaloosa for sister from an ad posted by the breeder and collected her the same weekend.

My Draft horse had been advertised on Horsemart(?) about 9 months before I bought her. I rang and enquired but was told that they thought she was sold to a novice man with an experienced wife and daughter. I saw her advertised again later, although I didn't realise at the time that she was the same horse. She had run away with the novice man and he had lost interest. It was meant to be. She was absolutely fabulous but sadly had to be pts because of Cushings related ataxia 2 yrs ago.

Years ago we were looking for a sensible weight carrier for me to share with sister's novice OH and travelled along the whole of the M62 corridor, viewing several unsuitable horses. Then we happened to call into a local tack shop, whose owner had a lovely coloured Clydesdale/cob cross and jokingly asked if she would sell her to us. She told us that she thought that the RS round the corner would sell their Clydesdale-type mare, although they weren't advertising her. We shot round and although the owner wasn't there, met the horse and booked a viewing. We hacked her home.

All the others have been bought from ads, either in newspapers (back in the day) or online.

Scarlett

Visit site
My latest exracer was bred by a friend, he went racing and sadly wasn't performing as she hoped so she looked to loan him out and I took the opportunity to take him. Decided after a couple of months that I wanted to buy him and approached her and she agreed.

My mare I bred myself, she's now 7.

My two other exracers were all word of mouth through friends on yards/people we knew. Last horse I went out and bought from an advert was 2005. We've been very fortunate.