How do we get planning approved

keekee

Visit site
I’m not sure which is the appropriate category to put it under but how people manage to get their planning approved for a caravan or a lodge on Equestrian property or establishment…. We are looking to purchase some land which already has stables and has been change from agricultural to equestrian use we haven’t yet applied for planning but the few people we have spoken to have said we are unlikely to get it anyone in the know who could help us please

PurBee

Visit site
There’s many grey areas. Normally to reside on non-residential land youd have to be using the land to provide some kind of service to the community. If you want to build a house on equi land you’d more likely get it of you were setting up a riding school. For private equi facilities for yourself, planning for residential home, the chances are slim. For a caravan for temp worker use is more likely. There’s various temp accomodation licenses that are granted depending on stated use.

Planning consultants who deal more with agri land planning would be useful to chat to. An article i read said best to find consultants in the borough where the land resides - they’ll be more familiar with dealing with that particular council.

catembi

Visit site
Planning consultant! We applied for planning for stables & manege, using the people who were going to build it all. Planning was refused...the stables/manege company was utterly, utterly useless & at a complete loss. I did some research & engaged an older planning consultant who had worked for the planning dept at that same council for 35 years before retiring and going self employed... OMG, he knew what he was doing, knew which parts of the refusal were utter b*ll*x etc... We got planning with no further issues...and used a different company for all the work. He wasn't even that expensive.

keekee

Visit site
It’s been changed from agriculture to private equine use once it has a school and 5 stables 10 Achres and a storage building with water and electric it states we can only use for private use but apparently the 1 house opposite on the quite country Lane also has a cabin and a caravan it’s so beautiful and no one I doubt would appeal it but I just want to do it properly

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
I’m not sure which is the appropriate category to put it under but how people manage to get their planning approved for a caravan or a lodge on Equestrian property or establishment…. We are looking to purchase some land which already has stables and has been change from agricultural to equestrian use we haven’t yet applied for planning but the few people we have spoken to have said we are unlikely to get it anyone in the know who could help us please
Council have been known to take back handers. Hubby worked for construction and found this happened a lot. Also closer to home.

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
We converted a barn to a house with no planning defo can be done under permitted development given the right conditions
Even with permitted development planning is still needed. They can and do put in stipulations as to what may or may not be built. Friends could not put in any extra windows/doors to the original barn, or raise the roof height. They also had to raise the floor level to above what the council percieved as a flood height risk.

Roasted Chestnuts

Visit site
Well according to one local farmer round here you just build it then battle the council to get it torn down, even if it’s not on your land ? he’s currently building a house on another farmers land saying it’s his when the deeds show it isn’t ?

planning consultant would be your best bet.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Does it have a barn? You can convert a barn to a house without pp
Even with permitted development planning is still needed. They can and do put in stipulations as to what may or may not be built. Friends could not put in any extra windows/doors to the original barn, or raise the roof height. They also had to raise the floor level to above what the council percieved as a flood height risk.

By definition Class Q conversions, which is what you're speaking of, have limitations as do all permitted development rights. You have to retain the original skin/frame, you won't be able to extend and yes, will likely have limitations on windows etc etc. The barn also has to have been used for agriculture in the last 10 years.

OP it all depends on your local plan and is less about local objections, neighbours have few grounds on which they can object to planning.

blitznbobs

Visit site

no no planning is needed planning permission and permitted development are totally different - it used to be called a class q but thats changed recently i cant remember i thinks its E now … but definitely NOT planning permission they have to make a decision in 28 days and if they dont you can just get on with it.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Also lots depends on your location. We are literally the wrong side of the fence from the development boundary. A couple of metres from a built up area. So despite having a building perfect for conversion we just don't have the right to live there yet.

PeterNatt

s68.photobucket.com
As the above have stated you are best to instruct a local Planning Consultant who has had pervious experience of Equestrian matters to act on your behalf. Also ensure that you keep copies of all the correspondence and consents etc so that when you come to sell you can demonstrate that you obtained the correct planning permission and complied with building regulations.

blitznbobs

Visit site
Id actually start by reading the law and usually if you read it thoroughly enough you can find a way — its
Not complicated but sometimes it is slow and stressful . The most effective ive
Noted over the years but definitely the riskiest way is to build it and go for retrospective planning which seems bizarrely to work well but is very expensive of it goes wrong

TGM

Visit site
As you can see from the varied replies above you are best to speak to a planning consultant. Whether you are likely to get planning permission will depend on lots of different factors, including whether you are in a protected area such as Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty, Conservation Area, National Park etc. You need to sit down with an expert who can look at your exact site and advise accordingly. It is worth keeping in mind, that as land is more valuable with planning permission, the fact this plot has been sold without PP might mean the vendors thought it was unlikely to be granted, as otherwise they might have sought PP themselves to increase the value of the land.

Goldenstar

Visit site
You need a clear idea of what you want and where you can compromise and then speak a planning consultant who has expertise in the type development and who the knows the area .

Orangehorse

Visit site
There are firms around who seem to be able to planning for anything, even it takes a while.

For instance we make hay for someone and they had a wooden block of stables, actually it was a lovely set up for their horses. Then the property was sold. Next time I went the wood stable block had been replaced by a barn with a curved roof and it was obviously a house. Turns out that it is a holiday let. I was amazed. How did they get from wooden stables to a barn to a house? The don't use the fields either, that is why we have the hay.

Obviously in the know.

eggs

Visit site
Definitely speak to a planning consultant.

Our place got permission for a mobile home and then a small house which was later greatly extended before we bought it on the basis that it was running as a stud farm and it was essential to have a constant human presence. I think they did breed a couple of foals .....

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
My old uncle always used to say if you wanted planning permission you had to drop a £50 note out your pocket when the planning officer came round; if he picked it up you knew you'd have to put a bit more his way; if he didn't pick it up you knew that you were gonna have to do things the "straight" way........

There are certain people in my area who "own" the council; I'm grade II listed and have to seek proper permission if I so much as want to f@rt. Contrast this with the big businessman up the road who can literally do what the heck he wants, put up ugly farm sheds in a Conservation Area, and gets away with everything. It stinks.

mustardsmum

Visit site
You really need to look at your local council planning policy guidelines - ask your planning advisor what they are and make sure they know them! Find out if you are in an area of permitted development or open countryside - if the latter you will struggle unless there is already a building (barn) on site you can convert. Usually new builds in open countryside (that is land irrespective of use) will really struggle to get permission, open countryside is protected and there is a no new build rule generally. I think exceptions are if you are building a property with agricultural ties. If you are within the building limit/boundary of a village, you will possibly be more successful. You best bet would be go to the local planning office and get some pre application advice before you even start or proceed with purchase, you can get advice on land you are considering purchasing - you don’t have to own the land. It’s amazing how many “planning advisors” are totally ignorant of the planning policy guidelines. Bear in mind you will also need to satisfy Highways of access, as well as possibly preparing ecology and archaeology reports. AONB/Nat Parks will want to know that your build will be sustainable and satisfies their requirements if you are in either of these. If you are, getting permission will be harder. AONBs for example are currently quite hot on dark skies atm - so consider that if your thinking velux windows…. But they also look at setting - so look at the local materials used and don’t prepare plans for a brick built house in an area of stone cottages! But your planning advisor should be up on all this. Also it can be a good idea to speak to the parish councils and adjoining neighbours, get a feel for their thoughts. Go speak with your local planning officer, and also check the planning history online. If you find a string of refusals - you know it’s going to be a struggle.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
Re. advice above about "speaking" to your planning officer; when I applied for PP some years ago now you were not permitted to "speak" to a planning officer without parting with a £30 "Consultation Fee".......... the Receptionist directed you straight to the PIN transaction BEFORE you were allowed to speak to anyone.

East Devon. Total rip off.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
ours wouldn't even have a conversation for a fee. they said they just weren't doing pre-planning advice at the moment. but our whole thing has been a farce from start to finish... don't attempt to build anything next door to someone working in the planning dept would be my top bit of advice :rolleyes:

Reactions: TPO

mustardsmum

Visit site
Re. advice above about "speaking" to your planning officer; when I applied for PP some years ago now you were not permitted to "speak" to a planning officer without parting with a £30 "Consultation Fee".......... the Receptionist directed you straight to the PIN transaction BEFORE you were allowed to speak to anyone.

East Devon. Total rip off.

Yep, of course they will charge you a fee. But better to pay for pre-app advice than risk investing in land that isn't going to get permission. We got pre-app advice for an extension, 20 years ago, had to pay then too. We were also a bit miffed, but looking back was way cheaper than keep asking the architect to re-submit! TBH if your happy to pay a planning consultant, why would you not pay for advice directly from the planners? They obviously wont say yes nor no but they can help you.

Bit rubbish that you were not able to get advice @milliepops - when we went to them they were really helpful but maybe different councils run things differently.

(Just to add, I am not a planner or a planning consultant! But know a bit about planning policy from a commercial archaeological background and having submitted our own plans for house extensions etc.)