How do you ask a sleeping horse to stand up?

Skib

sites.google.com
If I arrive to find a horse is lying down asleep in its box with its eyes shut, what is the safe way to ask it to wake up and stand up?

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
lying flat out snoring or sitting up snoozing? I normally just announce my arrival by saying their name, if lying flat out that usually makes them wake up and sit up. if my horses don't get up then I'd approach and give a nudge - some of mine are quite determined snoozers and need a knee into the shoulder before they will rouse themselves :p

a strange horse that doesn't know you would probably get up on seeing you were there though. You do need to be mindful of keeping out of the way of legs as they get up especially as some horses like to roll before standing. I'd be interested to see what a H&S minded person would suggest. a bucket of nuts shaken over the door is probably the safest way!

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
The bucket of nuts sort of made me laugh because I could see mine then laying down upon my arrival as an attempt to demand food be delivered.

Mine is trained to let me halter him and ask him to rise. This is a result of trick training and also teaching him to sit. He has commands for when he is laying down and whatnot. If you are not silly like me and doing circus tricks, I think shaking some nuts over the door could work, or talking to them generally gets their attention.

Surbie

Visit site
LOL, a problem I seem to have with all my horses.

I make noise before I go in. You can pull a leg forwards to encourage them to get up.

Or, you can simply settle in with them?

View attachment 72954

Disclaimer - I am not saying that I am safe or sensible :p

Where your body is in that pic is where my horse's pee spot would be. Love him dearly but no way would I lie down next to him...stinky little coblet that he is. :D

Maryann

Visit site
I had a home bred one that used to lie flat out and look nearly dead. Pushing and shoving did nothing. Only the bucket of nuts - just out of reach - did the trick. I sent him away to be professionally broken in and if I hadn't warned them about this I would have had a vet's bill.

Kat

Visit site
Grab your camera, they always leap up as you try to snap a photo!

Otherwise, I would speak to them, if that didn't work and I really wanted them up I would try a shout, then a clap. I'd be panicking about colic if a horse didn't get up after a shout and a clap, but other options would be rattling/rustling a bucket/treat, giving them a nudge, moving a leg, putting a headcollar on and giving it a tug.

Mine normally jumps up with a guilty look on her face though. She seems to think being caught napping is a bad thing!

Annagain

Visit site
Don't do it head on, the only time Archie has ever bitten me was when I woke him up from a deep sleep in the field. I'm a big softy and would normally leave him if I see him lying down but I had a lesson so couldn't. I put the headcollar on, stood in front of him and shook the rope. As he got up he - still half asleep, in his defence - sank his teeth right into my boob, really hard. The whole thing was black and blue for weeks. I still have scar tissue there 14 years on.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Oh dear I’m with the leave em in peace camp. Though sometimes when you’ve little time you have to. Bucket of food is the nicest way I never did like the idea of tugging or using your foot. Seems a bit rude.. and that’s saying a lot as my mare is very rude!

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
We did have a clydie who refused to get up to go out one morning, she was very comfortable in a patch of sunlight. I went in, put the the halter on and told her to get up, to no avail. I then became concerned that there was something wrong with her and ended up becoming quite forceful with her. She eventually got up and was put in the field, much to her disgust?

Carrottom

Visit site
I have one who can be reluctant to rise, usually putting a head collar on and standing back jiggling the rope is enough. One day I had arranged to meet a friend to ride out and he was asleep in a position that I couldn't get into a safe position to get the head collar on. I went into his stable talking in a lively way, clicked and tried to gee him to rise. He lifted his head and just stretched back out. As a last resort I went to the feed shed a and loudly put a scoop of nuts in a bucket. He was on his feet in seconds.

Visit site
Depends on the horse, some I just wave a headcollar at and they get up, some I actually have to put the headcollar on to get them up!

maya2008

Visit site
For safety: food rattled over the door, a cheery voice and a clap.

In the field I would pop a head collar on once they were awake and encourage. Not sure I would in a confined space though.

My daughter thinks you should run over and sit on their backs..! Luckily our ponies see her as part of the herd and are very tolerant - she gave us the fright of our lives doing that! Poor coblet was sitting there going, “Uh, mum, I can’t move, you need to get her off me so I can get up!”

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
If I arrive to find a horse is lying down asleep in its box with its eyes shut, what is the safe way to ask it to wake up and stand up?
I take photos when I can, as mine have such acute hearing, they never stay asleep when they hear me.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I rarely get to see Dave asleep, but he's very fond of a snooze. As soon as he hears me he's up, so I rely on other's pics.
164330810_10159928707889739_3727590765887421984_n.jpg

100681180_10158953007069739_762778731411406848_n.jpg

AUB

Visit site
I call their name to make them aware of my presence and then I go sit a little bit with them for a sleepy cuddle. It’s so precious to sit with a sleepy horse that trusts you enough to stay lying down ❤️
When I stand up they usually do too. Else I say “okay, time to get up!” in a louder and more it’s-time-for-business-like voice and then they know it’s time to get up and go to work.

scats

Visit site
My girls are both happy to have me sit with them when they are lying down. They are never in a hurry to get up.
Usually if I say “come on then” in a jolly way, they’ll begrudgingly co-operate!