How do you choose companies to spend your money with?

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Saw this post on FB (click text to see)

Yeah, right before Christmas, so LeMieux can cash in ?

I do like the fit of their dressage pads, but that's about it and the quality has deteriorated. I also bought a Diamante pad (maybe I already mentioned this, idk) and washed it very gently and according to directions, and it literally fell apart. I can't return it either. So that's cool.

Yes, I like the look of the LeMieux ones a bit more. Yes, Build-a-Bear might've done a horse too...and I had an American Girl horse 20± years ago, but still. There's a few other things about this company that have bothered me.

Fjord

Visit site
I thought at first that both were just a soft toy horse with a plaitable mane and tail. I didn't realise that they had the design of a proper dock, for LM to copy that seems very blatant.

I love LM saddle cloths, although the colours of the later collections have not been bright enough for me. I have 7 saddle cloths now so won't bother buying any more. I'd rather not support a company that does this sort of thing.

It's hard for a consumer though, how do we know who had the idea first when we are browsing for things to buy?

Widgeon

Visit site
I have a crafty ponies pony that I bought for myself (yes, I know).
Can’t believe the price of the LeMieux ones! Such a blatant copy aswell.

I'm so cross about this. I agree with CC, similar products have been around for years, but this is an *exact* copy of a small company's product. And they will get away with it. I have one old, second hand LeMeuix saddle pad which I like very much (nice and heard wearing....washes well too) but I would never buy anything new from them, particularly not now. They have the most cynical marketing strategy I've ever seen. "ooh it's new, it's plum and last year was berry, throw us your money and fill your tackroom with more STUFF". Honestly how are we supposed to help small businesses survive, and be more environmentally friendly by buying fewer high quality items, when companies like this are rolling on. UGH.

Widgeon

Visit site
It's hard for a consumer though, how do we know who had the idea first when we are browsing for things to buy?

Agreed, it shouldn't be on the consumer to have to work out whether a company is engaging in unethical practices. I realise that policing this sort of thing is really hard but you're right, and if it's entirely down to the customer to work out what's going on and then make a decision based on that, then small companies, with their limited marketing budgets etc, are going to be stuffed.

TPO

Visit site
After an overwhelmingly negative response on Instagram surprise, surprise Le Mieux have turned off comments. They had already turned off Facebook comments

The thing is while people still pay eye watering prices for these horses and accessories LM "win". I hope the uproar has directed a lot of new customers to Crafty Ponies.

A factor that I hadn't even considered was LM manufacturing. A few people on Instagram were calling them out for their use of overseas factories and the working conditions and pay of staff. LM replied saying to call the office to discuss and wouldn't post publicly. Surely if you offered good working conditions and pay you would post openly about it and with proof easily shown?

At least everyone knows how and where Crafty Ponies are made!

Patterdale

Visit site
I’m now ordering a crafty pony too to rebalance my karma somewhat..!
I’m wary of these internet pile-ons though, I don’t like to do a knee-jerk reaction based on a few posts on Facebook.
I’m definitely going to look into it more to make my mind up - it’s made me really think about finding out more about who I give my money too though.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Maybe it's just me(?) but I really dont like how aggressively crafty ponies are dealing with this on fb. The lack of professionalism would put me off buying from them.

TPO

Visit site
Maybe it's just me(?) but I really dont like how aggressively crafty ponies are dealing with this on fb. The lack of professionalism would put me off buying from them.

I think the opposite. I think k that they are being very brave challenging such a rich company who've already got their solicitors involved. Well done Crafty Ponies for speaking up when it would be so easy to be silenced by the bigger and richer company.

The statement above is from when thr Le Mieux ponies were displayed at BETA. The current backlash is because LM have launched the products for pre order.

I'm surprised there isn't more backlash over their rugs. They look like duplicates of another brand with features/fastenings of yet another brand. Those brands are bigger so I'm surprised they are letting it slide.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I'm surprised there isn't more backlash over their rugs. They look like duplicates of another brand with features/fastenings of yet another brand. Those brands are bigger so I'm surprised they are letting it slide.
possibly they can afford to take the hit whereas CP probably can't.
You can imagine the LM rugs being a bit of a flash in the pan like some of their other products whereas the other rug brands have been going for decades and have their own global reputation already. they probably won't be affected too much.

whereas CP could be totally marginalised. i can understand the fighting spirit because you can just tell LM are going to come top of the google searches if you're in the market for this kind of thing and they probably feel like they have nothing left to lose at this point.

ElleSkywalker

As excited as Kitty about to be a bridesmaid
Visit site
I wonder how LM will react if retailers, when facing back lash which so many I've seen are, decide to cancel or not restock their mini ponies?

I can see what BB18 is saying about the aggressive way in which CP are reacting, but they don't have the multi millions behind them that LM have and it's their family business (just as LM started out as) so I totally get why they are going all guns blazing and wish them all the very best.

TPO

Visit site
I wonder how LM will react if retailers, when facing back lash which so many I've seen are, decide to cancel or not restock their mini ponies?

I've seen one retailer publicly post that they will no longer stock any LM products now because as they are a small business they are supporting other small businesses

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Really? That's how I feel about LeMieux.
Yep really. I'd have respected them far more for saying one line about them being aware a large brand had copied their product but then focusing on pushing their unique selling point(s) and thanking their customers for supporting them at this challenging time.
I think the picture if lisa lemieux is distasteful.

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Yep really. I'd have respected them far more for saying one line about them being aware a large brand had copied their product but then focusing on pushing their unique selling point(s) and thanking their customers for supporting them at this challenging time.
I think the picture if lisa lemieux is distasteful.

Ok then. I also did not see the picture of Lisa LeMieux, so there's that.

I mean, yes they could've said that (as you said it) but I also understand having to fight for your small business. LeMieux could've also been a bit more professional on the matter too.

I mean, makes sense that LeMieux, a matchy matchy brand would come out with stuffed ponies and accessories. It's another thing to explore and possibly get kids even more hooked onto the actual matchy accessories (pads, boots, base layers, etc.) So it's a bit clever.

Pippity

Visit site
I mean, makes sense that LeMieux, a matchy matchy brand would come out with stuffed ponies and accessories. It's another thing to explore and possibly get kids even more hooked onto the actual matchy accessories (pads, boots, base layers, etc.) So it's a bit clever.

I feel it would have made more sense to team up with Crafty Ponies and produce LeMieux accessories for the existing toys. Less profit, but less risk, too - although I suppose LeMieux is big enough to take that risk.

nikkimariet

Visit site
After an overwhelmingly negative response on Instagram surprise, surprise Le Mieux have turned off comments. They had already turned off Facebook comments

The thing is while people still pay eye watering prices for these horses and accessories LM "win". I hope the uproar has directed a lot of new customers to Crafty Ponies.

A factor that I hadn't even considered was LM manufacturing. A few people on Instagram were calling them out for their use of overseas factories and the working conditions and pay of staff. LM replied saying to call the office to discuss and wouldn't post publicly. Surely if you offered good working conditions and pay you would post openly about it and with proof easily shown?

At least everyone knows how and where Crafty Ponies are made!

I do agree BUT LM are too big and too clever to get involved in commenting warfare. We all know how it would go.

jnb

Visit site
I'm sadly not surprised at the heavy handed tactics of LeMieux - let's face it they didn't get to the top without trampling a few into the dust - I mean their original pads were lifted from Stephens designs (ok, hardly unique designs but).
-Thermatex
- Comfort Zone
- Horseware

to name but a few!

I had a LM grey sheepskin half lined pad for my old cob, it rubbed him badly on first wear (there was a sharp edge where the sheepskin was cobbled on to the pad) so sold it. I don't support companies that browbeat small companies out of business by copying their designs.

TPO

Visit site
I do agree BUT LM are too big and too clever to get involved in commenting warfare. We all know how it would go.

They've just edited all the insta comments and are removing all the negative comments and mentions of Crafty Ponies. Comments were around 1000 and now down to 600ish so far

palo1

Visit site

I can see what BB18 is saying about the aggressive way in which CP are reacting, but they don't have the multi millions behind them that LM have and it's their family business (just as LM started out as) so I totally get why they are going all guns blazing and wish them all the very best.

Yes, I feel like that too. I think their fear of losing vital business as well as fury at having their ideas just nicked would put paid to any 'calm professionalism' they may have had tbh!! I like the fact that they are standing up for themselves in the way they think best and that won't impact one bit on the quality of their products which is what people are buying.

scats

Visit site
I shall be ordering a couple of crafty ponies for my honorary nephew and niece for Christmas.

On the subject of matchy sets for horses. I don’t like the thick/padded saddlecloths so LeMieux works for Millie. Can anyone recommend a matchy brand that are similar in thickness to LeMieux that I can buy Instead?

Renvers

Visit site
I always disliked how LeMieux copy in demand stuff, I have a Comfort Zone rug and when I saw the LM copy it was just not as nice. I don't buy their stuff as my hobby is to try and buy the UK made or smaller niche supplier versions of everything.

I didn't really think of the impact of all the copying on the originators so I am rooting for Crafty Ponies.

AFB

Visit site
I shall be ordering a couple of crafty ponies for my honorary nephew and niece for Christmas.

On the subject of matchy sets for horses. I don’t like the thick/padded saddlecloths so LeMieux works for Millie. Can anyone recommend a matchy brand that are similar in thickness to LeMieux that I can buy Instead?

Nuumed - great customer service & made in the UK :)

tiga71

Visit site
I have quite a few LM saddle pads but haven't bought any for a few years. I won't be giving them my custom again.

Their business model is cheap and dirty, all about the money with no care about the people or companies they crap on. You don't need to do business that way, it is a choice to be a very nasty operator. But some people have no morals or conscience and they will be sleeping well at night with no thought for the people they are hurting.

LM certainly don't have a Design Department, they have a 'Let's Copy What Other People Have Developed' Department. They have enough money and resources to come up with their own innovative products, they just choose not to invest in development and copy instead.