How do you define 'sharp'?

lazycat

Visit site
I see the term 'sharp' used in so many contexts, I feel like I have no idea what it really means.

For example, that classic strapline --'never sharp or silly'-- seems to put sharp into a negative category. Then, I hear certain breeds described as sharp and intelligent and in that context is sounds preferable and related to trainability. I'd say I'm a competent novice (another category which is a hard one to pin down!). I've exercised an arab described as sharp, but that seemed to translate to: likes having his head; prefers voice aids; dislikes an imbalanced rider and by dislike I mean will rush, nothing nasty. I had to be more mindful when riding but it seemed to me that sensitive is maybe a better word for his so-called sharpness. He made me ride better simply because he 'felt' so finely-tuned and I was wondering if it's that feeling that confirms you are on a 'sharp' horse.

I would absolutely love to ride or even own a Lusitano one day, but from what I hear, they can be very 'sharp'. I'd love to hear what people think this term means so I can learn my own limitations!

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
My horse is sharp because her responses are so much faster and more athletic. If she spooks it's way more dramatic. She does not like to be given confused aids, this is because she tries so hard to please and if shes confused she will stress and you might get a response you really dont want. On the positive side she is quick off the leg, has good impulsion and is very talented at dressage.

Meowy Catkin

Meow!
Visit site
Yes I think 'quick reactions' is a good way to put it. This can mean quick to react to a tiny leg aid or quick to react to a scary flower, which means you have to be even quicker if you want to catch that spook before it happens. It does often go hand in hand with the hotter, more forwards types.

ETA - some horses can be backwards thinking with their sharpness and that is not as fun as a horse that is forwards thinking, brave and sharp. The latter would be great over cross country as you can imagine.

Last edited:

MuddyMonster

Visit site
I describe my native as 'can be harp but lazy'.

He's got a quick whip round and being a pony can drop a shoulder or set his neck and just go when inclined but is also quite happy to put minimum effort into anything he doesn't deem to be worthwhile (flatwork, for example). However, even when being lazy in the school he's still prone to the odd reaction, usually to check your paying attention or tell if you off if you've offended him! But generally he'd much rather sit just behind your leg being inattentive and get away with little if allowed.

SEH

Visit site
There are two different meanings to sharp depending on the context.

1. Sharp to do with movement, i.e. the horse can move quickly (not in a straight line!).. often when you least expect it. People often refer to horses who turn quickly or without prompting as 'sharp'. Sometimes used to describe unpredictable or quick to respond horses too.

2. Sharp to do with intelligence. A sharp horse is one that is quick to understand/pick things up or is quite intelligent

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
There are two different meanings to sharp depending on the context.

1. Sharp to do with movement, i.e. the horse can move quickly (not in a straight line!).. often when you least expect it. People often refer to horses who turn quickly or without prompting as 'sharp'. Sometimes used to describe unpredictable or quick to respond horses too.

2. Sharp to do with intelligence. A sharp horse is one that is quick to understand/pick things up or is quite intelligent
Good point. I have one that is sharp in both senses: unpredictable, whips round without warning etc but shes also super super smart at picking up on things or noticing stuff. Makes for a fun ride when she's on side.

The other is silly sharp but not that bright!

Both are reactive but also prone to laziness. Seems contradictory but I've come across quite a few like that.

lazycat

Visit site
This is all helpful -- so as I suspected there *is* more than one definition. SEH, your second example is much more up my street. Reading about certain drop-shoulder personalities is making me nervous as I've only ever experienced a couple really nasty instances of that -- little horror of a welsh B when I was younger dropped me out and I shattered my shoulder despite him being about 12.2 hands! Maybe I should leave off the idea of a Lusitano haha.

Lillian_paddington

Visit site
To me sharp means forward-thinking and sensitive, I think those types are more likely to spook. Ime they are quite ‘busy’ horses, you have to keep them occupied or they will take things into their own hands and find something to do on their terms. I love riding horses like that, it gets you thinking one step ahead! So I suppose to me it’s a mix of being quick mentally and physically?

shortstuff99

Currently Cambridgeshire! (or where ever I fancy)!
Visit site
This is all helpful -- so as I suspected there *is* more than one definition. SEH, your second example is much more up my street. Reading about certain drop-shoulder personalities is making me nervous as I've only ever experienced a couple really nasty instances of that -- little horror of a welsh B when I was younger dropped me out and I shattered my shoulder despite him being about 12.2 hands! Maybe I should leave off the idea of a Lusitano haha.

I wouldn't totally rule out a Lusitano, I've found a lot of them to be pretty sane horses, especially if you don't go for a sport bred one. I mainly ride PRE's and I find them a lot 'sharper' than Lusitanos.

paddi22

Visit site
yeah I;d agree with the sharp to do with movement, vs sharp intelligent wise.
I've two that are the cleverest things on the planet, can suss out technicall stuff in a second, very blood horses, but they'd never spin and dump me.
I'd class sharp and the spin-n-dump type

lazycat

Visit site
Lusitanos are not exactly plentiful in the UK to my knowledge, so I’m hoping to find a place to ride one so I can feel for myself. Same story with the sporty vs. trad Connemaras. I do love a bright but workmanlike horse/pony.

windand rain

Visit site
More than 2 definitions for me
1 sharp off the leg -obedient and quick to do as asked
2 Sharp mind thinks quickly and asesses situations quickly.
3 Sharp in likely to spin and dump you for no apparent reason then just stop and snort
4 sharp and reactive will run off if a leaf falls off a tree
5 Sharp in mood will quickly get you if you make a mistake on the floor

Pinkvboots

Visit site
Good point. I have one that is sharp in both senses: unpredictable, whips round without warning etc but shes also super super smart at picking up on things or noticing stuff. Makes for a fun ride when she's on side.

The other is silly sharp but not that bright!

Both are reactive but also prone to laziness. Seems contradictory but I've come across quite a few like that.

It's funny my really sharp one can be really lazy and nappy so it's like he lulls you into a false security because it just comes from know where.

My more forward buzy horse probably does worse things but he keeps you on your toes, so your more aware of what his doing so I think your more prepared in a sense.

millikins

Visit site
To me sharp means forward-thinking and sensitive, I think those types are more likely to spook. Ime they are quite ‘busy’ horses, you have to keep them occupied or they will take things into their own hands and find something to do on their terms. I love riding horses like that, it gets you thinking one step ahead! So I suppose to me it’s a mix of being quick mentally and physically?
This would be my definition of sharp too. In fact it describes my Connie perfectly. But he has never done anything so rude as dropping a shoulder or spinning, he just expects you to keep up with him.

Lois Lame

Visit site
If I heard a horse described as sharp it would mean to me that the horse was prompt to respond to any request.

For example, that classic strapline --'never sharp or silly'-- seems to put sharp into a negative category.

Oh, I've never seen it used like that. I think they've misunderstood that sharp, for certain riders (not me), is a good thing. But this sort of a horse is not for someone who wants to ride around enjoying the scenery. More likely they would want to jump over the scenery.

silv

Visit site
Yes I think 'quick reactions' is a good way to put it. This can mean quick to react to a tiny leg aid or quick to react to a scary flower, which means you have to be even quicker if you want to catch that spook before it happens. It does often go hand in hand with the hotter, more forwards types.

This would be my definition of the term too.

ecb89

Visit site
I think it would also depend on the context. For example an advert saying ‘this horse is quirky and sharp’ I would assume it’s the type which half way round a hack decides a particular daisy is out to kill it.
If an advert said ‘this horse is sharp off the leg’ I would assume responsive forward thinking

Scarlett

Visit site
I don't see sharp as always being negative.

My new boy is sharp. He's a 5yo exracer who's been off the track 3 months. He's big moving, forward thinking, smart, athletic. He's picking everything up very quickly and enjoying his new job. He can be reactive but we are working on channelling that into forward. I won't lie, I've held my breath a couple of times on him awaiting a reaction but as long as he stays forward he's been brilliant.

I think folk get in trouble with the sharp ones when they back off with the leg, you must ride then forward, even when it feels like it's a bad idea. I find a lot of horses I've been told are sharp are not accepting of the hand/leg and have been left to their own devices a bit too much or been hung onto in an attempt to shut them down.

Spooky is different and lazy horses can be spooky, which is a whole other issue.

lazycat

Visit site
I don't see sharp as always being negative.

My new boy is sharp. He's a 5yo exracer who's been off the track 3 months. He's big moving, forward thinking, smart, athletic. He's picking everything up very quickly and enjoying his new job. He can be reactive but we are working on channelling that into forward. I won't lie, I've held my breath a couple of times on him awaiting a reaction but as long as he stays forward he's been brilliant.

I think folk get in trouble with the sharp ones when they back off with the leg, you must ride then forward, even when it feels like it's a bad idea. I find a lot of horses I've been told are sharp are not accepting of the hand/leg and have been left to their own devices a bit too much or been hung onto in an attempt to shut them down.

Spooky is different and lazy horses can be spooky, which is a whole other issue.

Your description of how to ride with the leg on, on sharper types is very helpful. The Arab i was riding out felt like he was going to escape from under me until I sorted out that hand to leg connection. I wasn’t used to having to do so much over the course of a couple hours hacking but it was definitely enjoyable to feel so much power in a horse.

Scarlett

Visit site
Your description of how to ride with the leg on, on sharper types is very helpful. The Arab i was riding out felt like he was going to escape from under me until I sorted out that hand to leg connection. I wasn’t used to having to do so much over the course of a couple hours hacking but it was definitely enjoyable to feel so much power in a horse.
I think it's human nature to back off on the forward ones when actually they are the ones that need a little more riding - your leg to support them and a soft hand, you can't hang onto them (learned that one the hard way!).

My other TB isn't reactive at all, he could be a police horse, and is still quite forward thinking but could never be described as sharp. He needs ridden a totally different way.

IrishMilo

Visit site
Something that could ditch you at the drop of a hat/has huge over reactions.

I don't class bucking/the odd spook/fizziness as sharp.

alexomahony

Visit site
I have both types!

My Welsh is SO sharp minded - super intelligent and sensitive to your leg whether you're asking for forward, backward or sideways! You ask for one side step and he will give you 10! An out and out over-achiever. However, he isn't the most athletic so is also very safe with the sharpness. It's a nice and very trainable combination. He is super at things like handy pony!

My connie is quite the opposite - he can feel like sitting on a time bomb. His body is SO fast to move, he can spin, bronc and shoot off in a micro second. This is usually a 'spook' to nap or avoid work and will sit behind your leg happily. He is much better with regular hard work and complex exercises and needs to be constantly managed. Your calves are always on his sides. However this also makes him an absolute machine when jumping, cross country or hunting - if his brain is in the right place and thinking forward, just WOW - you feel completely invincible as he is so so athletic!

I take sharp as a positive thing generally - you've just got to be one step ahead and figure out what makes them tick :) I quite like having both as I can really have a nice relaxing ride on the Welshy, but then put my riding skills to the test on the Connie if he's having one of 'those' days!

oldie48

Visit site
Interesting that there are so many interpretations. I always think of it as reactive but even that is a very broad term. In ads for horses I always think that sharp is often used as a code word for not a novice ride, whereas not sharp might imply the horse is a bit lazy. If it's someone talking about their own horse I think it depends on the level of rider, a horse that I might find "sharp" would probably not be sharp enough for a pro and in that context I wouldn't see it as a negative comment. I guess Mr B was reasonably sharp but he certainly wasn't dangerous or rude, just quick to react but he wouldn't dream of dropping a shoulder or doing anything deliberately to unseat his rider.