How do you fasten your girth?

How do you fasten your girth?

• Total voters

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
Having got into a 'discussion' on another thread about the way to fasten a girth, I find myself wondering how others do it.

ETA Putting the poll on wasn't the easiest thing I've ever done! And I've just spotted the mistake in option 3!

Last edited:

scats

Visit site
Gradually. I absolutely hate watching people pull girths up tight straight away. I put it on the bottom hole on both sides then I put bridle on, then go up a hole or two, then put boots on, then lead out to get on.

Peter7917

Visit site
Saddle on with girth on snug but not tight.

Bridle up. Then girth up a notch or two.

Walk horse down to the block, tighten up and get on.

albeg

Visit site
Gradually. I absolutely hate watching people pull girths up tight straight away. I put it on the bottom hole on both sides then I put bridle on, then go up a hole or two, then put boots on, then lead out to get on.

Similar to this. Bottom hole on both sides. Up on one side before heading out to the arena, up on the other side before mounting. Then up one hole at a time on each side (one goes to 3, one goes to 3/4).

My gelding was very sensitive in the past if the girth was tightened too quickly (not whacking it up, just having it tightened before mounting was enough to upset him), and I was told in no uncertain terms that he was not happy.

Last edited:

Kat

Visit site
I put mine on so that it is about a hole down from where i normally have it to ride then put on the bridle, put it up on one side by one hole, then mount, then put up on the other side. I have a big mounting block so don't need it tight to mount. I don't have it very tight to ride either.

My saddles only have two straps no point straps to consider.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
All my saddles have short girths. I put saddle on before bridle to give time to adjust/warm up... girth snug but not tight, same hole on each side. Bridle on then lead out to mounting block... tighten one hole if necessary. I don't use elasticated girths (both mine in Fairfax/prolite)

Whats the debate? Intrigued!

tda

Visit site
Snug when saddle put on, then snug enough to get on (from mounting block), don't always check after, unless going down big hill �� only doing slow work atm, walk and trot

HBB

Visit site
I put it on the bottom hole each side then gradually tighten up one hole at a time each side. Put my boots and hat on. Bridle on pony, then check girth and tighten again before mounting. I would never chuck on a saddle and crank up the girth tightly in one go.

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site
I put it on the bottom hole each side then gradually tighten up one hole at a time each side. Put my boots and hat on. Bridle on pony, then check girth and tighten again before mounting. I would never chuck on a saddle and crank up the girth tightly in one go.

This
I can't get the girth to the tightest from the floor because he's 17hh and built like a barrel so the angles simply don't work! For the same reason, I have to let it down a hole before I dismount, otherwise I have to use a step to reach and let it down. (I'm 5'6" but I realise I make my relationship with him sound like a thelwell cartoon - we look like that!)

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I remove my girth after every ride & always start in the first hole one each side. Bridle on & then a hole each side. I use a shaped girth, so slapping it on wonky & higher on one side could only be uncomfortable!

FestiveFuzz

Visit site

This. We treated M for ulcers over the summer and this is the only way to ensure he's not girthy.

JillA

Visit site
I couldn't work out which one on the survey it was, but off side up first (from first hole to where I know it needs to end up) then near side one hole at a time until it gets to its "destination" hole. My horse blows himself out big time to I have to follow what he allows.

muddy_grey

www.*******.com
On W I start with it on 2 and 2 which is snug then bridle on and up 1 each side. Then up one side before mounting and up the other once on.
L is just coming back into work and is a bit porky, I really should get a new girth! Do bottom hole on back strap only then bottom hole both straps the other side then front strap on first side. Pop up a hole before mounting and then once on it is on 3 and 3

missmare

Visit site
I do it gradually so I will put her saddle on during the end bit of my grooming and tighten one side and then do something else and so on and so fourth
I like to take my time doing it up slowly until it’s as tight as it should be :)

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I couldn't work out which one on the survey it was, but off side up first (from first hole to where I know it needs to end up) then near side one hole at a time until it gets to its "destination" hole. My horse blows himself out big time to I have to follow what he allows.

That sounds like option 2 to me.

I wonder why your horse blows himself out big time?

Do you think it might help to do both sides up one hole at a time?

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I wonder why you feel the need to pick holes rather than simply answering the OPs query. It isn't the first time, I hope it makes you feel good. Remember the teaching thread where we all said you only offer advice if it is asked for???

It is my thread! :D :D

It was a genuine question, by the way! I was always taught that for the comfort of the horse, the girth should be done up one hole at a time on alternate sides.

emfen1305

Visit site
I take my girth off after each ride too, so start from bottom hole and go one hole at a time on each side in amongst other bits (bridle, boots, hat etc) Toby also had ulcers and this seems to suit him - not sure if I could even get the girth up if i left it on 3 on the one side anyway!

Surbie

Visit site
Hole at a time each side, then stretch front legs out before fully tightening, get on then tighten as needed.

This is how I was taught to do it. I put the bridle on before taking up one more or so each side gradually and then stretch. I hate seeing girths being yanked up. I usually tighten after walking him round a bit and never at the block.

I do struggle with my boy though. He blows himself out to ridiculous levels, so we have to use a girth that is too big just to get it on the first holes to begin with. It means the girth ends up fastened very high under the saddle flap.

The habit may well be due to previous people cranking it up suddenly and I would welcome tips on how to train him out of doing it.

rara007

Visit site
Bucking the trend by doing it the quick way. I use padded (polypad) Saddle cloth and elastic ended girth at the mo. One side is left on the saddle, do the other up so it’s tight enough to mount, tighten generally 2-3 holes once on. None of mine are girthy, blow out, tense etc. so never needed to change for these guys. It’s pretty high up the billets my girth sits, there would be air for the first 5-10 walk arounds doing it from the bottom! Ps. If anyone knows a good 34inch long leather double elastic girth...

HeyMich

Visit site
Yes, slowly on each side for me too.

Mind you, I did make the mistake of not fastening it up tight enough before I mounted and ended up with a saddle under my horse's belly once. Not to be repeated!

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
I went for the bottom option but that isn't exactly what I do - when I first saddle I put it to second hole each side, then fourth hole each side to mount, then go up one hole on one side after I have warmed up. Though as I only ponce about doing flatwork these days I do tend to ride with a pretty loose girth anyway :eek:

Given the possible answers to the poll, does that mean that some people don't undo the girth both sides when they untack...? :eek3:

Dave's Mam

Visit site
I went for the bottom option but that isn't exactly what I do - when I first saddle I put it to second hole each side, then fourth hole each side to mount, then go up one hole on one side after I have warmed up. Though as I only ponce about doing flatwork these days I do tend to ride with a pretty loose girth anyway :eek:

Given the possible answers to the poll, does that mean that some people don't undo the girth both sides when they untack...? :eek3:

I take my girth off totally after untacking.

rara007

Visit site
Nope :p My oldest Saddle in use I got second hand 19 years ago though it has had some years off regular service, still comes up good!

OrangeAndLemon

Afraid of exorcism
Visit site

I just let it down on the other side before undoing on the left side. His girth is 62" so easily sits over the top of the saddle without distorting the saddle while it is on the saddle rack.

DabDab

Ah mud, splendid
Visit site
Haha, that comment was slightly tongue in cheek - it's one of those things that I just can't do... I was far too effectively trained :p