How do you keep your hands dry & sore free?

Eaglestone

Visit site
Please give me all your tips, ideas and techniques, to ensure my hands go through a pain and split free Winter and stay toasite and dry throughout. As I am in soooooooooo much discomfort, since the weather turned cold and dry.

I have tried Pimple Palms, Rubber Gloves, Neoprene Gloves, Thermal Gloves, Rubber Gloves with gloves underneath ....... everything :(

I use the hose and get my gloves wet .......
I pick up poo and all the muck absorbs through to my hands .....
I take the gloves off as they are wet and hold the wheelbarrow and the cold frozen handles stick to my hands ......

So how do the rest of you cope? :confused:

appylass

Visit site
I use NAF stable hands and find that really good. I used to get splits on the outsides of my little fingers and index fingers but not had this problem since using it. I wear gloves as much as possible, I.have some waterproof ones for cleaning water troughs etc. I also keep several extra pairs at the yard so that I can change them as they get damp. Those are my ideas but I sympathise and hope you find a way to get through the winter with your hands intact :)

Eaglestone

Visit site
Thank you Appylass :)

I too end up with lots of wet gloves, I then put them to one side and bring them home to wash (and they only stink to high heaven when they are in my house and out of the horse environment, funny that!!!).

I have them sprawled all over the radiators, then try to match the damned things up and end up with all Right hand gloves .... so how does that happen :confused: .... a bit like odd socks really.

SophieLouBee

Visit site
Stable hands or that Swedish intensive formula (think it's by Nivea?), they sell it in tescos. Wear latex gloves everywhere, I wear finger-less gloves/normal gloves over the top if it's cold! They make your hands sweat, so they don't get dry haha...NICE.

At night, if your hands feel dry either smother them in whatever moisturiser and wear cotton gloves (get them from boots/super drug etc) or buy some Snowfire ointment and put that on the splits (it's green and stinks, but is good)

I am blessed with soft hands (clammy if you prefer :p), but my mum suffers terribly with dry hands!

OH, don't use hand sanitiser, and if you have to use one with a moisturiser in (tescos do one for like 70p, the ones with aloe or lavender in are no good so don't get those), and when you wash your hands use dove 1/4 moisturiser soap, and don't wash them unnecessarily.

appylass

Visit site
Thank you Appylass :)

I too end up with lots of wet gloves, I then put them to one side and bring them home to wash (and they only stink to high heaven when they are in my house and out of the horse environment, funny that!!!).

I have them sprawled all over the radiators, then try to match the damned things up and end up with all Right hand gloves .... so how does that happen :confused: .... a bit like odd socks really.

Ha ha I know that situation very well, together with my stinky wellies and two wet and muddy dogs it's probably as well that I live on my own :)

I found some motorcycle gloves on ebay that are pretty waterproof and cheaper than sealskinz - I haven't tried the latter yet but I will treat myself at some point!

Ladydragon

Visit site
I wear lined leather gloves that fit really snugly and still let me use my hands properly... They're old motorbike leathers... I pop some of our own balm on first and my hands stay snug and warm (helps the balm absorb and the shea butter is good for the glove) and as they're leather a bit of water doesn't kill them or leak through...

When it's ultra cold I sling a pair of motorbike waterproof mittens (they're elasticated at the wrist and cover the end of the coat sleeves like a gauntlet) over the top of the gloves to handle the buckets that always seem to slop water when I carry them and give a bit more grip on the barrow...

I have terribly dry skin but that gear kept my hands warm and dry in all weathers on a bike and pretty much do the trick up the yard too... :)

Last edited:

PucciNPoni

Visit site
I work with my hands and they get wet constantly. I used to suffer dry cracked skin and brittle nails however I haven't had to use steroid creams in over 20 years now, just due to maintaining them differently.

When doing barn duties:

wear leather lined gloves. Leather seems to block the wind better than anything.

don't wear them for wet work (ie hosing stuff down). Your hands will dry quicker than leather/material. I stuff my gloves in my pocket, and then after I'm done with the wet stuff, I keep a clean hand towel to dry them off immediately. Gloves back on straight after.

Use moisturiser at least 2x a day. More often if needed. Use something wth paraffin or epaderm as a barrier cream.

Use tools to poo pick and so on - to keep gloves from getting wet and dirty.

I absolutely hate cold/wet /sore/chapped/calloused hands and will go out of my way to protect them. I almost *never* do anything without gloves on (leading horses, lunging, riding, mucking out) even in the summer. And considering that I am a dog groomer by trade and my hands are in and out of water, exposed to shampoo, under heated dryers and so forth, I have really decent skin and absolutely rock hard nails!

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
hmmm ?? you want your hands dry??? hands get dry and cracked in this weather specially if you have them in water allot

Speaking as a BEAUTY THERAPIST , keep hand always moisturized when tack cleaning or washing buckets try using rubber gloves , get some good gloves ,to keep them warm the ones with fingers that fold back are gr8 so when you do buckles etc you can do them then fold them over when mucking out etc, keeps the cold off them.

Get a good hand cream rub well in specially after they been in water .

dont go by make or price

E 45
nivea age defying Q 10 hand cream
and nail lotion
barrier creme
coconut lotion

one good tip put a good lotion a rich one on , put disposable gloves on over night that way it can really soak in over night

dont forget your feet too

soak them in a basin of warm water with oils in help keep heal and feet soft and a ply the same as a bove only feet version

have a warm bath with body oils in and soak all body submerged so the oils can penetrate into all the skin .

Last edited:

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
I have 2 or 3 pairs of very lightweight thin thermal microfleece gloves
And then pull on some of these over the top : http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Gardening-DIY-Builders-Work-Heavy-Duty-DIY-Grip-Rubber-WaterProof-Gloves-M-L-/220874233920 buying 2 or 3 pairs before the start of each winter as they are cheap as.....

Great for pulling on as soon as I have dropped feeds round, and leave them on till I've done as much as I can. Only need to remove top layer to do rug straps and tie haynets up, so these jobs get done last where possible :)

Otherwise I use leather gloves for riding in, lined or unlined depending on weather.

I use almond hand cream every evening too :)

Tnavas

Visit site
Please give me all your tips, ideas and techniques, to ensure my hands go through a pain and split free Winter and stay toasite and dry throughout. As I am in soooooooooo much discomfort, since the weather turned cold and dry.

I have tried Pimple Palms, Rubber Gloves, Neoprene Gloves, Thermal Gloves, Rubber Gloves with gloves underneath ....... everything :(

I take the gloves off as they are wet and hold the wheelbarrow and the cold frozen handles stick to my hands ......

I moved to New Zealand!
Try Rubber Gloves over your ordinary gloves, plenty of hand cream and if you get any cracks rub in Chapstick at night. During the day rub Chapstick onto a plaster and cover the split.

touchstone

Visit site
I wear Atlas gloves for all outside jobs, they really make a difference and have plenty of grip so you can still do up straps etc without taking them off. I always have a few pairs in so that I can change to a dry pair if one gets wet. As for cleaning tack, find that's the one thing that will leave my hands more moisturised than when I started. :)

whizzer

Visit site
I use Dublin waterproof fleece gloves but they're very old & not sure if they're still sold. Also the horse health waterproof gloves are very good. Tried sealskinz but I just couldn't get on with them at all. Have tried loads of handcreams but always go back to neutrogena as never find anything as good! As soon as a crack appears I pummice stone any rough edges off & put loads of cream at night, then put a plaster over it to stop cream rubbing off. Also loads of cream & thin cotton gloves overnight works, it's just looks a bit strange!

Eaglestone

Visit site
Thank you ALL so much for all your help and support and lovely well grounded ideas, many of which I have not tried .. I am overwhelmed with all your replies :):eek: and it is lovely to see so many of you spending your time replying.

It is funny to be stuck on your own, which I am with my horses, thinking I am alone in my plight, but I now know I am one of many :eek::p

Sounds like lined Leather gloves and Motorbike gloves may be another way to go too.

I am my very worst enemy with the none use of hand cream, however it never soaks in and I end up all clammy and hot, just round the hands. But to be honest, I think I will have to put up with that, as that must be a better option to sore and split hands. :rolleyes:

Cheers
x

Ladydragon

Visit site
I am my very worst enemy with the none use of hand cream, however it never soaks in and I end up all clammy and hot, just round the hands. But to be honest, I think I will have to put up with that, as that must be a better option to sore and split hands. :rolleyes:

Cheers
x

My husband is the same - my skin will cheerfully drink any moisturiser that's slapped on it...

Try a face cream or a body lotion - they tend to be a bit lighter so can soak in a little easier...

Or just slap some on at night with some cotton gloves and let it do its thing whilst you're sleeping rather than having that gooey feeling on your hands whilst you want to get on and do other things...

As a treat you can put some avocado oil (supermarkets - cooking oil aisle) in a bowl and let your hands soak or just smooth some all over and rub them together... Without getting technical it's a very soothing, healing oil with a barrel of good things in it... Once it's soaked in for a few minutes just wash the oil off with a good soap to remove oily residue...

kirstyl

Visit site
The Norwegian Fisherman's formula handcream is a godsend and is really the only one I've found that works, although the Body Shop's Hemp Hand Cream is pretty good. I too wear gloves all the time whilst working with horses, and in my case donkeys too.

ha903070

Visit site
You need a pair of Macwets Aquatec gloves!!

These are the best gloves I have ever bought and I wont buy any others for winter. You wont believe how good they are until you try them!! You dont lose any grip at all if they get wet, they keep your hands really warm.

They dry quickly so I wear them day after day for every task, if they get wet or not, they seem to dry while you wear them and you're hands in them dont get wet, Its like magic?

but if needs be I'm sure it says they can go in the washer (never tried it)

McNally

Visit site
I have horrendous hands at this time of year, In fact without fail from November until March (when they will overnight become ok again) i get cracked bleeding hands and also nasty eczema patches.
The cotton gloves overnight work as does Udder cream!! Out of desperation at work one day i found a bucket of countrywide Udder cream and its amazing stuff ;-)

I am also going to invest in a parrafin wax hand bath this winter as i tried one out and it was brilliant!

dollyanna

Visit site
I use fishermans hand cream and use cheap fleece gloves from the pound shop with latex gloves over the top. I put them on and off as one piece until the latex wears out, then it gets replaced. Don't get sweaty hands like you do with rubber under gloves cos the fleece wicks the sweat away, don't get cold hands cos the gloves stay dry, and very cheap! Can do water and everything without having to take them off.

WelshD

Visit site
Silk glove liners work wonders, I get mine from ebay

I swear by Showa gloves for over the liners, they do a very good thermal pair that have rubber palms, they also do an excellent pair of rubber gloves that have long wrists

muffinmunsh

Visit site
Florena hand cream religiously applied mornings and nights. Marigolds for yardwork, with a silk sailing glove lining if it is cold (dry very quickly if they accidentally get wet)... Has worked well for some years now.

forestfantasy

Visit site

pottamus

Visit site
I use the decent sealskin gloves for just about everything as they are very waterproof, have leather underneath for more water proofness and are great for keeping the wind off. I suffer from white finger syndrome and have no problems at all with these gloves on. Make sure you keep your gloves on though at all times as otherwise they will drop temp quickly and then it is a little late to try and warm them up again.
For poo picking I wear large marigolds with sealskin glove liners underneath. Just make sure you have a spare new pair of marigolds for when the fingers break.
I use Nivea cream several times per day and just make sure I do not get my hands wet too often.
Also, drink plenty of water during the day as this keeps everything...including skin...hydrated.

Hoodlum

Visit site
Wear very heavy duty gloves - the ones from the builder's merchants for handling chemicals and I also use a hand barrier cream called Shebar from the local chemist that has a lot of lanolin in it. Keeps your skin moisturised, the only downside (I don't mind), is it's a bit difficult to wash off.
I work in an office during hte day and I hope you wouldn't know I muck out and poo pick daily after three horses!

doodleberry

Visit site

best thing to do is get someone else to do it !!

Goldenstar

Visit site
sealskin gloves brilliant , if I go to bed early I use loads of hand cream or whatever put my hands in plastic bags and put them under the duvet , also if you do the same for feet with a pair of socks on it works a treat.

applecart14

Visit site
Sealskin gloves for me! 100% waterproof, you can even put your hands in a bucket of water and they won't get wet. Best things ever, although i do wear mac wets for riding and they're fab too.

http://www.google.co.uk/products/ca...=X&ei=AS3nTqXKJJTT8QOop6mECg&ved=0CK0BEPICMAE

I also use Nettex working hands as a barrier cream
http://www.gjwtitmuss.co.uk/horse-t..._medium=pricecomp&utm_campaign=GoogleShopping

Difficult, cant ride or muck out in any gloves other than fingerless which defeats the purpose really!! :D

I get really embarrassed at work sometimes when I see the state of my hands, but try to give the underside of my fingers a good pumicing on the pumice stone to remove the ingrained dirt that accumulated from riding/tack cleaning/mucking out, etc when I shower in the morning. Then put loads of hand cream on. But sometimes its really hard to get the dirt off when its ingrained like it gets sometimes.

But some days I get caught out and have been known to pick out the dirt out of my nails with a paper clip with my hands well hidden under the desk when I've been in a rush to get to work! :eek:

Eaglestone

Visit site
For the poster who said get someone else to do it lol .... I am beginning to think, in my old age, that it would not be such a bad idea :eek::D

Well I have put 2 big fat dollops of Udder Cream on today and they feel a lot better already ;)

I will have to take a picture of the state of my hands and then you lot will see exactly what I mean ... they are dried up and with the ingrained dirt you could grow yours spud in :eek::p

Tnavas

Visit site
The best hand cream I've found is Vaseline Nail care cream - seems to work far better than any other.

Make sure that you use plenty before bedtime - even to the point of wearing thincotton gloves in bed and heaps of hand cream. Mum used to rub Lanolin directly into her hands before bedtime and wear gloves when her hands got really sore.

Toffee44

Visit site
At work I am constantly washing my hands.

At the horses they are exposed to all elements.

Then for some reason I am always burning them at home, or getting blisters mucking out, my hands are useless!!

I use Bodyshop Hemp Hand Cream at work

Burts Bees (farmers friend one) hand salve (always before bed adnd randomly through the day)

and Udder Cream + Camrosa at the horses

Between them they stay intact.