How do you keep your hands dry & sore free?

now_loves_mares

Visit site
I'm a bit evangelical about this now! Having tried all sorts, the best solution I have found are similar to these.

http://www.showagloves.com/gloves/index.php?categoryid=1&gloveid=21

The key point being they are thin enough that you can do nearly everything whilst still wearing them. Tie up haynets, muck out, do rug clips, turn taps on and off, fix the fencing, turn on light switches, etc etc. The fact that they rarely come off has made all the difference to my hands. They sometimes get splashed if I'm using the hose but tend to dry quickly. But as others have said either take the gloves off, or put a larger pair of Marigolds over the top.

When skipping out I add those really heavy duty rubber/pvc gloves on top, also cheap as chips.

I don't find my hands get cold doing general yard work, as I'm always on the go, so I don't find I want thick warm waterproof gloves. Yes for riding, but for me the aim is definitely to keep your gloves on at all costs!

soulfull

Visit site
The Norwegian Fisherman's formula handcream is a godsend and is really the only one I've found that works, I too wear gloves all the time whilst working with horses.

This also use sealskinz gloves all the time,.. In fact i have the winter riding ones and the even more winter ones

I think you are going to have to get used to working in gloves, it is not easy for anyone when they first start wearing them :D

SpruceRI

Visit site
This is such a useful post!

I usually never get sore hands/fingers, but am now working as a gardener and my hands are starting to suffer. I've got a couple of splits and they're soooo sore (what a wimp!!)

I like the idea of Udder cream, I've got a couple of pots down at the stables so will fetch one back. I certainly need to be a bit more religious with the moisturising!

heidiharvsnroo

Visit site
Body Shop Almond Hand creme and the wash.

Brilliant stuff.

And gloves! Rubber gloves when washing buckets etc, thermal glove when mucking out, (leather palms) and then my riding gloves.