how do you know your horse is happy with you?

guido16

Visit site
Interesting question!

Mare = whinnys softly at me
Youngster = wont leave me alone until he gets a snog or a scratch
old man = gives me a certain look....

Sophstar

Visit site
my little oldie recognises my car, whinnies and comes trotting full speed to the gate:D he is a very misunderstood pony and was previously sent out to 4 different loan homes before i bought him (£1!) from the riding school i taught at that had shut and been sent back within weeks from kicking, biting, chasing children through the field. I understand him. at 22 he wants a quiet life, no kids, lots of love but minimal fuss. my cob stands there and nickers profusely...such a cutie:eek: he also nickers when i pull up on the yard. being greeted so happily is a simple, yet clear message they are happy with me:)

asommerville

Visit site
I would love to think mine were happy and that the being skint, worrying about 'little' things and hardly seeing the bf was worth it:) i am sure it is they both whinny when they see me, run to me in the field and the young one gives lots of kisses

fidleyspromise

Visit site
I can go up to the yard several times a day - even after they've been fed. so they know I have nothing - and they both come over to wait for me. - It could be wishful thinking on their part hoping I have food BUT they don't go up to just anyone :)

Little one follows me around the field for cuddles.
Big one will come over for a scratch and they are both content spending time mooching about with me.

redredruby

Visit site
He puts his ears forward and often kind of arches his neck, he doesn't audible nicker but I can see his nostrils moving, and if I don't respond quick enough he kicks the door! He also has a nice bright look in his eye and as everyone has said it makes it all worthwhile! :D

Oh, and I know that he does this when I arrive because sometimes I approach the stable from the otherway and he is either just dozing or munching hay, so he definitely only does it for me (not that I am possive of anything......:eek:)

caitlineloise

Visit site
There's nothing better than even when he's got lots of grass to eat and it's a lovely sunny day than him popping his head up when he hears you coming and on catching sight of you, shakes his head around and breaks into canter, then trots towards you with what can only be described as a 'Smiley' look on his face. Never fails to make me grin :)

Littlelegs

Visit site
Mines good as gold for anyone & is fine with strangers, but moves politely away if they get affectionate. Whereas she actively seeks my company & attention. She got very badly attacked by a dog many years ago. Also had her over 20 yrs so she doesn't know any different.

Littlelegs

Visit site
Phone! Meant to say when she got attacked I was the only person she'd relax round, but I think that's more to do with trust than like.

JFTDWS

Visit site
Oh they're not. They'd be much happier with someone who gave them ad lib haylage all year round and knee deep grass fields and big feeds three times a day...

Lintel

Visit site
I know horrids happy if he doesn't try to bite or kick me for 2 seconds ;) :rolleyes:

Merryns always happy IF i have food on me :rolleyes: :D

Lol! Brilliant :D:D - Sounds like me and the Baby Highland :p
I know mines is happy with me because...
He cuddles right into me and will just stay there for awhile.. it's hard to describe. You just know.
:D:D

Lintel

Visit site
Oh they're not. They'd be much happier with someone who gave them ad lib haylage all year round and knee deep grass fields and big feeds three times a day...

Lol, lovely answer- I would have to agree to be honest.
I am "The bad lady" at the yard, who starves her poor pony and leaves him out naked! :eek::eek::rolleyes:

Sparkles

Visit site
166901_10150440670626753_708806752_10175930_278454595_n.jpg

316858_10150440672221753_708806752_10175955_964205279_n.jpg

Joined at the hip :p

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
In the same way that I know people like me :) The way they are around me, their body language tells a lot. Sisters big mare was a fascinating case in point, when we went to try her my sister had already decided she wanted her, I was less sure. After I had ridden her in the school, I hopped off and walked towards sister, the then owner was a little further up the fence, the mare set off behind me, but came with me to sister, rather than to her then owner. The then owner had told us that she didn't get on with the mare and didn't like her, we decided that the feeling was mutual!

Brambridge04

Visit site
My mare makes other people go to her to catch her. yet comes trotting / cantering to gate when i call. normally with a whinny to. she also sniffs n nuzzles into me.

she does this regardless of time and day. so not a feeding routine.

she will also rest head on me. whilst laid down in stable and sleep. x

ClassicG&T

Visit site
He watches me walking around the yard and whinnies for me. I dont need to even shout and he comes over to gate for me and stands on track waiting for his treat and headcollar. He also follows me everywhere

snoopyinfrance

Visit site
All of our guys will race up the field to greet us. They have their hierarchy though!

Hemir (daughter's horse) will deign to let me rub his head if he's in the mood (he's always in the mood if daughter isn't around). With his 'mummy' he'll eat her hair, lick her face and 'love' her neck with his teeth (as if she's his mare). At this point I would add photos but I have no idea how to do it. Sorry!

Motty will check to make sure no one is looking then sneak a cuddle with me and nudge me for a neck scratch. She won't leave me alone if there are other horses around me.

Sweetie is my first horse but she can't be ridden as she has trauma from an old accident (before she came to us). She doesn't trust men much but has learnt to love my son and trust him deeply. He has been spotted just sitting in the field with her head in his lap but don't tell him I said so, it's just not Goth! With me she will wait until the others have had some attention then she will follow me around, positioning herself in front of me where she wants to be scratched. This was a bit odd the first time I looked up to find her bottom in my face!

DouDou will whicker as soon as she sees me and will walk up right away (she would trot but she's 25 and older ladies don't like to show too much affection, don't you know!). She's been poorly treated in the recent past and has only been with us since December but she's taken to me wonderfully. She's learning to trust again.

Thank you for letting me ramble and share that with you!

SO1

Visit site
my pony is very happy at the yard he is at, and TBH he would probably be happy with most people as long as he could continue to have a similar lifestyle living out and a variety of ridden work but not ridden every day.

He soon tells me if he is unhappy as then he misbehaves.

He does whicker when he sees me and is easy to catch even when there is tasty grass but then I do feed him and he loves his food so he associates me with food which is why he is pleased to see me!

topstripelucy

Visit site
My boy knows my car and when he was spooked at a show the other day (my dad was holding him) I came round from back of wagon and he pulled my dad towards me and nuzzled me and then settled straight away, bless him.

I owned a 14.2hh anglo arab when I was 15, called Blaze, (quite some time ago LOL) and sold him after 9 months as he wasnt suitable. Some years later I went to try and horse at a yard and after trying it out took the dog for a walk down the lane past this field of horses. I spotted this chestnut pony with white spots on his bum, shouted "Blaze" across the field. This pony looked up whinned and came galloping to the fence - it was my old pony and he recognised my voice! After about 8 years...it was amazing and I stood there crying...went back to yard to find out about him, turns out the woman I sold him too lunged and lunged him to try and calm him down and he did his tendons in, sold him at some sales and a lovely lady bought him (she liked arabs) and thats who owned him. So I was the last person who had been nice to him, maybe thats why he remembered me...it was just amazing moment.

Morale of the story - they do form a strong bond (even after 9 months) even though some might not have the personality that show it...they do!!!

Soz for waffling!!

Spiritedly

Visit site
Mine all give that low nicker when they see me coming along the track and come trotting over to greet me even though they don't get hard feed. They then wait in order for hugs and snuffles...I hug they snuffle :D. I can also guarantee at least one of them will be with me all the time I'm in the field.

Phoebe+Sophie

Visit site
I know Will is happy when he just stands and snuffles my hair and follow me around when I poo pick. If I make kissy noises he will 'kiss' my face.:p Sophie will just go to sleep if she is chilled:).

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
In the same way that I know people like me :) The way they are around me, their body language tells a lot. Sisters big mare was a fascinating case in point, when we went to try her my sister had already decided she wanted her, I was less sure. After I had ridden her in the school, I hopped off and walked towards sister, the then owner was a little further up the fence, the mare set off behind me, but came with me to sister, rather than to her then owner. The then owner had told us that she didn't get on with the mare and didn't like her, we decided that the feeling was mutual!

I know that said mare is definitely not happy with me tonight!

I've just come back from a few days away, having left sis at home looking after the horses.

My mare has managed to accept haylage, water, clean bedding, tea and a treat without looking at me or acknowledging me in any way.:eek::(:(

ladyt25

Visit site
Hmm, ours like us as we feed them! However, I hope they trust us and guess they show that. Mine whickers to me if we're at a show and he's on the wagon in between classes or whatever and I am returning and call his name. It's nice that my pony whickers sometimes at home as he was a very nervy, untrusting type when I got him all those 18 years ago. However, they KNOW when they're in trouble or have been horrors and they act like blooming teenagers. Also, if pony has any inkling he's going to receive any type or medication (ie worming) he's off - he's a swine and I've never come across any horse who is as on the ball as he is. He is very tuned in to body languages and any change in it so you have to be ultra careful with him.

In the main though they all seem pretty happy and in reality get to do their own thing about 22hrs a day anyway!!!

Abz88

Visit site
My girly does that lovely gentle greeting noise even when I have no food and comes to call. She also follows me - to the point when I jumped off her during a hack (I was getting hot and needed a stretch of legs) and I never held her reins,...just said 'come on then' and she happily plodded along with me while I was texting! She also lets me touch her all over and doesnt react - I stand directly behind her and hug her bum,..the most she does is look round at me, then back again! Doesnt move, doesnt flinch. Trusts I will never hurt her and is happy me being about :0) also, she snuggles right into my tummy for a good ear rub and love!

Prawnsize

Visit site
Awwww I loved reading these.

One of mine calls me when she wants a fuss whether she's in the paddock or out grazing. When I go down to her she makes a cute little whinnie at me, bless. I've been sleeping in the stable with her because she's due to foal and she lays down close to me. LOL her moods are a little up and down at the moment though, she is always kind but goes from over the top needy to almost indifferent!

My other mare nuzzles her head to my chest and follows me around. She's a cheeky one though because she will pull my blankets off me when I'm sleeping down there!!! Playful baby!

Tamba

Visit site
Im not sure what anyone will think , but I have an arab, who continously bites....I have been told its a sign of affection?, He would bite most people, but not as much as me, who normally handles him, who he bites all the time, and Im not talking litle bites, but proper bites, it doesnt matter how much you tell him off, he still does it, and Ive had him 17 years !!! Could it be a sign of happyness?, I have no idea?

Tamba

Visit site
My boy knows my car and when he was spooked at a show the other day (my dad was holding him) I came round from back of wagon and he pulled my dad towards me and nuzzled me and then settled straight away, bless him.

I owned a 14.2hh anglo arab when I was 15, called Blaze, (quite some time ago LOL) and sold him after 9 months as he wasnt suitable. Some years later I went to try and horse at a yard and after trying it out took the dog for a walk down the lane past this field of horses. I spotted this chestnut pony with white spots on his bum, shouted "Blaze" across the field. This pony looked up whinned and came galloping to the fence - it was my old pony and he recognised my voice! After about 8 years...it was amazing and I stood there crying...went back to yard to find out about him, turns out the woman I sold him too lunged and lunged him to try and calm him down and he did his tendons in, sold him at some sales and a lovely lady bought him (she liked arabs) and thats who owned him. So I was the last person who had been nice to him, maybe thats why he remembered me...it was just amazing moment.

Morale of the story - they do form a strong bond (even after 9 months) even though some might not have the personality that show it...they do!!!

Soz for waffling!!
wow, loved reading this, its so surprising isnt it, that they remember everything. And sad, X