How do you manage to have your dog..?

palo1

Visit site
I have had dogs and worked full time and worked part time. When I was working full time I tended to take on older, established ex racing greyhounds and sighthound types; they are wonderfully idle, mostly! They all adapted very well to being walked well before work and after work to though my FT role did enable me to do some admin at home so I was usually at home just before 4pm. I was also able to take them with me to work some days but over time that became somewhat less acceptable. Once I had children and was working p/t it was easier to cope with different needs and now I have a terrier who needs more interaction/exercise, especially since losing my older dog. I think potentially if working f/t 2 dogs that were good friends would be absolutely fine if hours are not too long and there is plenty of engagement when you are home. I have always taken my dogs just about everywhere when not working so they do get out and about a fair bit.

Dogs are brilliantly adaptable and do sleep for hours and hours!! It is reasonably easy to get into a good routine where your working day is their major snooze time and when you are at home, there is plenty to do but it helps to choose a breed/dog that is likely to find it easier.

zandp

Visit site
All dogs are walked before and after work and when we first had a dog neither could get home at lunch so we paid a dog walker to do a walk at lunch time and then a neighbour volunteered and he used to go round to their house for the afternoon, he loved it. When we moved I was closer so would come home to walk him.

When we got the next dog a friend volunteered to walk him at lunch which was great. Then we got a 2nd and the friend continued, then I left work and was home for 4 months so did all the dog walking duties, I then spent 4 years juggling part time work with 4 jobs and dog walking duties were mainly mine, OH would do 1 of them a day and I did the others depending on my shifts / what jobs I had. Now we're both back to full time OH comes home at lunch to do them, I do mornings and he does evenings. If I'm WFH I do morning and lunch walks.

They mainly sleep when we're not here, although when they were both a bit younger there were some scenes of carnage that we came back to - loo roll shredded, foil shredded, bins emptied etc.

We have lurchers, they're either on the go or asleep.

JGC

Visit site
I was previously working two days a week at home and I hope to keep that (maybe even have three days when I don't have meetings) when I have to go back to the office. There are mutterings about full-time telecommuting being a possibility, but wages would be reduced, so I'm not sure how I'd feel about that!

OH does shift work, which is usually early, late and weekends, although he sometimes works away for a few days, and I am Mon-Fri. I also work off-set hours - 10-7, to reduce further crossover of working hours.

And we have a dog walker who comes twice a week on the days I go into the office and OH is working. It's very expensive as she does individual visits, but I'm very grateful for her and to be able to afford it. Doggy daycare doesn't seem to exist over here (France). I'd rather she went to that if it existed than go on group walks, as she doesn't like a lot of dogs at the same time.

Dog usually stays at home with OH when I'm at the stables, although she can come with me in the week when I'm going for an offroad hack. I go early to avoid too many walkers and she will come to heel to the horse. She sleeps in the car or a stable while I get ready.

Most of our leisure time is outdoor stuff so she comes with us as much as possible and we mostly go for a meal or drink when the weather's nice and we can take her too. We have a motorhome for holidays so we don't have to worry about accommodation.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I was previously working two days a week at home and I hope to keep that (maybe even have three days when I don't have meetings) when I have to go back to the office. There are mutterings about full-time telecommuting being a possibility, but wages would be reduced, so I'm not sure how I'd feel about that!

How can your employer justify that, do they pay the people who live nearest less? What would happen if someone lived next door to work? You need to contact ACAS!

Errin Paddywack

Visit site
A friend of mine had two dogs. She worked full time so had someone come in middayish to let them out and them give them their food. My sister did this for her for some time then my husband took over. Dogs were played with in the garden then fed, then had some cuddles before being left. Seemed to work ok for them. Currently she is WFH but uses a separate room upstairs as an office so the dogs are still left and hopefully won't be too worried if/when she has to return to the office.

IrishMilo

Visit site
Before WFH (now permanent for me which is a god send) he was walked on lunch (by me) for the first couple of years. When he got more settled he just stayed home and was walked when I was home. I work full time and it was never an issue - he's brilliant in the house and just sleeps all day - never had an accident. My plan was to get a walker in once he was older and not able to hold his bladder as well, but no need now.

JGC

Visit site
How can your employer justify that, do they pay the people who live nearest less? What would happen if someone lived next door to work? You need to contact ACAS!

Ha, I didn't explain it very well - we get a location-dependent bonus (because it's an expensive area), which we wouldn't get if we didn't have to be in that location (I'm abroad btw).

Nicnac

Visit site
Always worked FT and always had dogs for past 40 years. We do pander to our pets a lot more now which isn't a criticism as I include me in that statement. With one dog I walked morning, lunch and evenings and then when lunch wasn't possible, got a second dog and walked longer am/pm. They were Bernese Mountain dogs so not terribly active compared to my flatcoats.

Having lost one of my lovely flatties two weeks ago, I now only have one again but OH is retired. OH is away for a few days so dog is alone for first time for more than 4 hours since he lost his friend. It will be six hours today but had 5km walk plus field time this morning and then I'll be around for the next two days so not a disaster (says me sitting in the office worrying about the dog and the chickens not getting their 3pm corn more than my work!) I am sure dog is sparko - he has access to outside and the radio.

FinnBobs

Visit site
I am lucky that I can take my dogs to work with me and I work in a rural location so I can let them run around at lunch time or take them for a walk.

windand rain

Visit site
Those that takes dogs to work how do you keep them safe from heat and theft in hot sunny weather. Would love to take Willow to the ponies but she would need to be in the car while we are poo picking but dont because worry about the heat

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
Those that takes dogs to work how do you keep them safe from heat and theft in hot sunny weather. Would love to take Willow to the ponies but she would need to be in the car while we are poo picking but dont because worry about the heat
In current and previous office we have air con. In current office we have a secure entry system, so no chance of absconding in any way. P dog loves current office all year round as heat all day in winter and cool in summer. It's only hateful when we leave the office on a blistering hot day to walk to the car, she makes it quite clear she would rather be back in office bed ? occasionally I've had to pick her up as the short bit of pavement is too hot!
When at yard, ponies come in so P dog can potter, otherwise she's shut in the hay barn for safety and it's cool in there.

FinnBobs

Visit site

Mine are in an upstairs fully air conditioned office and my Husband usually takes them home so they don't have to sit in car while I am at the stables but that only works because I work with my Husband!

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
My office is baltic all year round, we call going to the toilet 'going to Narnia'.
In term of the vehicle, mine are in boxes and the van is kitted out with foil sheets, vent locks, plenty of access to water. The two older ones have been in various European countries in late summer/early autumn when it gets much hotter than it does here and they've been fine.

Moobli

Visit site
I worked full time when I first owned dogs and, while not ideal, I walked them before and after work and changed jobs so I could come home at lunchtime to take them for a walk, toilet break etc. My evenings, weekends and holidays revolved around the dogs too. I would never have owned them if I was working full time AND had a busy social life too. I started off with an older dog (a rejected police dog from the local training kennels) rather than a puppy as I didn't think it was fair to keep a pup alone. By the time I got my second dog, my sister was sharing my house with her dog and so I went for a puppy as there was the company of other dogs.
For the past 14 years I have worked from home and so my dogs are with me almost all the time, and have access to the garden if I am working inside. The rest of the time they are out on the farm and estate with me. I wish I could have offered all of my dogs this kind of life, but the reality is that most dog owners have to work and, as long as the dog's needs are met in terms of exercise, training and companionship, then most cope very well.

Widgeon

Visit site
I've been WFH for over a year now so it's a bit academic, but prior to that we both worked full time. I took a couple of weeks off when we brought our puppy home at 11 weeks, and we started teaching him to be left alone as soon as he'd settled in (he wasn't overly bothered). Then between me and the dog walker (I worked very close to our last house so could pop home) we made sure he was never left for more than a couple of hours for the next month or so, then we tapered the visits off until he was down to one lunchtime walk only, and obviously his walks before and after work. The breeder was on board with the plan and picked us the most confident, least needy of the litter, and it was all fine. We spent a lot of money paying our dog walker for all her visits, but we'd worked out the costs before hand. The hardest thing was toilet training, but we got there eventually with the use of puppy pads, which wasn't ideal but needs must.

He's a small terrier breed so quite self assured, and we always leave him with lots of food toys, so he's happy to see the back of us and get stuck into the toys - then he sleeps on his sofa. He goes everywhere with us when we're not working so he has a very varied, active life. That routine worked right up until the start of the pandemic when he was about three and a half.

rara007

Visit site
I’m very fortunate in that I do shift work and they’re allowed to come with me. I do have willing dog sitters at home if required too who I use for when I know the shift will be too manic to take him out for a wee. Most of the last year I’ve been on 6 hour twilight shifts and he’s fine being left for that length- he has all day with me and has just changed his body clock for his last toilet to be 1.30am and then back to bed.

Spirit2021

Visit site
Realistically my mother stays home most of the day. ( I live with my mother) I think it’s probably impossible to have a dog in full time work .

laura_nash

towercottage.weebly.com
When we both worked full time we had a dog flap into a secure area (for toileting mostly). Multiple dogs for company and they were greyhounds and lurchers who just wanted to dash around madly for 30 mins and then sleep on the sofa all day.

Our current one we both WFH and don't have the setup to leave him for more than about 4 hrs, but he's smaller and easier to take with us especially as we only have one now.

GSD Woman

Visit site
I've worked full time pretty much the whole time I've had dogs. The one exception was when I was in school full time and worked part-time. When I had roommates that helped. I often rented homes with fenced back gardens and that helped in the morning. Many of my dogs could come to work with me. Some went to daycare a few days a week and with Freddie I came home at lunch to let her outside. When I'm not at work my time is spent with my pets. They've adapted and my dogs need a lot of exercise and mental stimulation. Hard to do when the heat and humidity kick in but we manage in short bursts.

paisley

Visit site
You do the best you can- everyone's idea of the 'right' way to keep dogs will differ, as this forum demonstrates!

I very gradually adapted the whippet as a puppy to being on his own, he always had a good walk twice a day and a lunchtime visit from a dog walker for the toilet ( he really wasnt bothered about another walk)

My compromise is that other than work ( and shopping) he is with me the rest of the time, so effectively spends more hours with me, than without me.

Is this ideal? No. Is he a happy dog with a pretty amazing life ? I can honestly say yes.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
We got puppies while both in full time work. I was teaching though so was home earlier and MrPF left later in the morning so it wasn't quite a full working day. MrPF took them to work to sit in the car when they were younger puppies (not something I would do now though, even 11 years ago dog theft was less of an issue and the car was in sight of the office window in the shade etc) , then we had a dog walker pop to the house at lunchtime when they were old enough to not need to pee quite so often. Then they could go all day as they were shorter working days because I mostly finished mid afternoon. We managed everything around the dogs and didn't go out on weeknights unless the dogs could come. The Spaniel was a very good pub dog because we just used to take him everywhere! I left work not long after getting Sprollie so he's just spoilt. I did part time work for a while and they are both fine to be left for long days still. It doesn't happen anymore and yes, they are happier not being left but I think overall they have had a pretty good existence with us thus far.

No it's not ideal but noone died. And I have two active breed dogs who know how to chill out and not be "on" all the time.

Moobli

Visit site
It is really important to be honest with yourself about what you can offer a dog and try to choose a breed that suits the lifestyle you lead as far as possible. There are many farm bred collies living perfectly happy lives as pets with owners who work full time so that is testament to the fact it can be done, but equally there are many who end up in rescue or with challenging behaviour issues because the owner hasn't put enough thought into how they will channel a high energy breed, with a strong work ethic. Or simply acknowledged that some dogs need a working life. We have had many working collies over the years that would be fine in an active pet home, but there have been a few that simply lived for work and would have been unmanageable without that input in their lives.
Similarly with any working bred dog, there will be some pups in a litter with less drive who would be fine in an active companion home with working owners who have put thought and effort into ensuring the dog's needs are met.

LegOn

Visit site
Our previously collie wouldnt even come into the house! Only in his senior years could we convince him to spend a couple of hours with us inside in the evening and eventually we had to force him to sleep inside at night but he hated it :( We both worked full time but a walk in the morning and evening and him outside all day - he loved just patrolling/guarding the house! We lost him to old age during the lockdown and about 3 months ago we took on another rescue collies - failed farm dog!

I'm currently working from home full time but most days he prefers to stay outside and potter around himself or sleep in the kitchen... he gets a big walk in the morning before I settle in for work and sometimes during the day but not all the time! If/When I do have to go back to the office - I reckon it will be a couple of days at most and I'll just leave him out as I do at the moment. Sometimes on a Saturday if I'm doing the yard and OH has gone for a cycle, we just leave him out in the garden with his toys and bone and he is happy out! He is a very chill collie in fairness I have to say - is happy in his own company and plays with his toys by himself. I'm doing lots of training with him on our walks and doing tricks which I think he enjoys cause it tires him out & he just sleeps for the day - he is 18 months at the moment!

He doesnt cry or bark or show any signs of distress when left on his own, but I think if I was in work more than 2 days a week I would hire a dog walker or do doggie daycare for a day or so aswell.

Karran

Visit site
Going to add to my post earlier to include that I have two high drive dogs, both working/farm lines. Collie and spaniel. It is very hard work, and like Moobli said, not everyone can make it work and or be able to come home from work exhausted and yet still take the time to turn around again and take them out to see that their needs are met. I changed my whole lifestyle to make sure the dogs get put first when I'm at home and I've missed out on nights out and sacrificed many a weekend to work them, sitting in fields in the middle of nowhere, pisswet through and freezing cold to tire them mentally and physically and make sure they are happy and content. My collie came from a home that wasnt able to do that and it's taken nearly two years to put her right and help her reach a happy balance.

OldNag

Wasting my time successfully....
Visit site
Self employed. Also, neither dog needs insane amounts of exercise, which helps.
When I was employed for a while, I used to pay a dog walker to come at lunch times, and family would pop in if needed.

Much easier back self employed as I just arrange things accordingly. Pre Covid, when I was out for meetings, I just made sure I didn't leave them too long.
Now I'm WFH even more than before so it's never a problem.

AFB

Visit site
When I had my last dog I lived within walking distance of the office and so was home for an hour in the middle of the day every day - I also lived with a friend who worked shifts and so was usually home until mid-morning or from mid-afternoon so time alone was minimal.

After losing her there was a house & office move which meant that was no longer possible so I didn't get another for 5 years, but am now in a dog friendly office so the plan is he will come with me and stay at home on the days my partner is WFH (post covid change for him).

SOS

Visit site
Worked in a veterinary practice and dog came to work with me everyday, on busy days she would be kennelled, behind reception at lunch time and whipped round the park on my break (some days there wasn’t time for the park but we had a private outdoor area to walk the dogs). On more relaxed days she’d spend the day pottering around reception.

I now work from home and we go out morning, lunch and evening. I make a point of leaving her at home when I go out to do other things so she doesn’t get too used to us always being together. My partner also takes her to work a few days a week for variation. I can tell she misses the business and variety of people she met in the vets.

Shes a whippet and under a year old so doesn’t need much exercise. Morning walk around the same field. Lunch time walk tends to be a little bit of ball games and some trick/scent work. She then normally sleeps all afternoon. And in the evening we go on our proper walk.

I’m lucky that in my field of work, veterinary, there are often options for people with dogs. If life ever changes drastically I’d have a dog Walker in at lunch time for a nice group walk and doggy day care once a week. I couldn’t have a high energy or needy breed though.

Tbh it’s weekends or when taking the horses out I can sometimes struggle... I don’t like leaving her in the lorry/truck when towing as the risk of her being taken is too high.

Birker2020

Visit site
As the title really, how does everyone manage to have their dogs?

I would love a dog, and have always felt that way. However, I don't see any way that I can have one as I work 8am-4pm, so full time and so does my partner (albeit he has one weekday off).
I see that so many people on here have pooches, and I'm wondering how you all manage them? Surely you can't all work from home? :p
It's feasible to have a dog and work. If you can install a dog flap into your door so the dog can go into the garden to relieve itself then it's not such a huge problem.
This is the one we had for our dog (although in our case my partner lived on site where he worked and was only leaving her a max of 4 hours)

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/153078686314?epid=645117396&_trkparms=ispr=1&hash=item23a433626a:g:y2gAAOSwzlFbNQdz&amdata=enc:AQAFAAACgBaobrjLl8XobRIiIML1V4Imu%2Fn%2BzU5L90Z278x5ickkxGz2ccqatkEnoeekHqhLkbc2uTesHetuC3nDGlktue%2BaLK4xMaoVHpviNX8iEjhITevrOSOSgRjoNCci21bdr7bjeY299AyqGmwduUPd3AWOjtTefb8i0iwCOlun%2BWgO9P3MPtQUCa62ilti4F%2FOWLmvKF1jKtEPATAf7qy%2B0aKC4%2B%2BKljZ49%2FISsB3svVslwPRwxuFWCoFRyqqbxdpBU4XL3Qu3X0M06tnbso1Htj7uY92malQCDUu1SRq7BhrBeHL4g5TOMgZJPFVictgfDTW3mM5GvRYUi0TPMUyWHPQjfZGL8Of7mmVQciA2txzFKddU4ai3t%2Fy2YUtK1O2EvPH%2FMInX8JFXmuITtq2gvK9Bi%2BKww9IckXmOpKsdf5ZeAlOkFsCqXex5kkCgON19KH%2FwcdiFC5gi3QOejj%2F4vPWQ7rgITp9TPZ326acZyD0HCMQpGzQH7mWchohJs0%2B%2FXQcy5nwr3actPMbZOXSsiJppbCxOXDqZt9ecp89ISFO04wd%2FsynR1Zls7FoR1t6n%2FLMU%2Fn5lVTdffsmiGxQTqzmhvrHTC6e%2BzQ1jdz%2BpN597G8csJHQRxv%2B1CI8MMcdPACPz0TXhCDaBYplblvfYPa3PHro9wo8Ll81%2FsiHcM2fTNenEH4PP3mvZY5G3bhk72VtUZQ%2F52sh5R5QERnlrCiKRaBDJAIqIOzyZRBgl6sVo93FuArC6fTuCZ5Mrh9aKKNmPX%2FFDMDBkq8SOVGhy4BmjIqG04r8Q439bBxZHpof3JaUQtrtxsl28TqpRNqEO4RMDiD2bTUrzYL6J9z2M5Zg%3D|cksum:153078686314100b1cdf6c394792abe2f4e7948eb593|ampid:pL_CLK|clp:2334524

You can also get automatic dog feeders, this one has supply six feeds, so if you fed before you left for work and let them have a snack mid morning, lunch and then a snack mid afternoon it would keep them stimulated.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362558369930?hash=item546a29b08a:g:xroAAOSwQJ9e6zpu

You can also leave the radio or telly on for them.

Our dog is only left a maximum of 4 hours at my partners brothers house but she could be left all day. She just lies under the duvet and sleeps anyway and quite often takes herself up to bed half way through the evening or sometimes even when my partner gets back with her from his brothers house at 5pm!

I know this isn't ideal for most people but some people will be trapped in the Covid/lockdown position where they've bought a dog/puppy and not thought long term how they can manage it after we are out of lockdown.

1622032977699.png1622033007461.png

Last edited: