How do you manage to have your dog..?

maisie06

Visit site
Realistically my mother stays home most of the day. ( I live with my mother) I think it’s probably impossible to have a dog in full time work .

No, it's really not!!! It's all about routine, dogs are creatures of habit, well mine are anyway, I have always worked FT wish I could afford to work PT but no such luck...I have working dogs and they are quite happy to have a walk before work then I pop home at lunch as I only live a few minutes from work, and evening are taken up with training they are gundogs and they absolutley love doing the things they were bred to do. I can walk them all day and not tire them out but training them mentally tires them out and they settle happily in the house.
Daycare is NOT and option for us, for a start they insist on neutering and the ones around my way let the dogs run wild and stuff them with treats all day, what put me off most was one dog died after a fight at one of these places so I would never leave a dog there.

CorvusCorax

Justified & Ancient
Visit site
My dogs are also clean in their kennels during the day. Apparently not unusual in working line GSDs. My showlines were never as fastidious.

AShetlandBitMeOnce

Visit site
See I was thinking about a dog flap, but I feel as though you would either need a cat sized dog (not my sort of thing, small to me is a small springer or the like) or you would have to have a dog flap so big that it would be easy for unsavory characters to either climb in or gain access.. plus it leaves the dog open to be stolen from the garden. I think perhaps this is a good option if you live in a remote area or your garden isn't visible from anywhere, but not so much if you're in a town like me.

Perhaps one of those fake patches of grass toilet things, whilst not ideal, would work well for a dog who i snot able to be clean. I wouldn't intend to leave them for long enough that this would have to be an option to be honest as I work close to home and always will.

So, having looked at rescue requirements I wouldn't be eligible to have a rescue dog for a multitude of reasons - perhaps I could approach a smaller rescue, or take on a 'preloved' dog that people try and sell when they get bored of them. I would just like a dog that I could work with, but isn't high energy like a husky etc. I will cross that bridge when it comes to it anyway, I'm not in a position to until my 23 year old cats call it a day - and at the rate their both going it could be a while!

I know what I will end up doing and that's taking on a grey muzzled staffy that someone has loved for a long time and replaced with a puppy or the like, I am a sucker for these when I come across them on Pets4Homes or similar websites; so sad.

Birker2020

Visit site
See I was thinking about a dog flap, but I feel as though you would either need a cat sized dog (not my sort of thing, small to me is a small springer or the like) or you would have to have a dog flap so big that it would be easy for unsavory characters to either climb in or gain access.. plus it leaves the dog open to be stolen from the garden. I think perhaps this is a good option if you live in a remote area or your garden isn't visible from anywhere, but not so much if you're in a town like me.

The large size is suitable for dogs up to 45 kg and 28 cm height or 32.cm wide. Bearing in mind that dogs/cats will dip their back to make themselves smaller to get through the gap its probably more safe than you think. You'd have to have an extremely thin adult to get through a dog flap I would have thought.

Clodagh

Visit site

Perhaps one of those fake patches of grass toilet things, whilst not ideal, would work well for a dog who i snot able to be clean. I wouldn't intend to leave them for long enough that this would have to be an option to be honest as I work close to home and always will.

So, having looked at rescue requirements I wouldn't be eligible to have a rescue dog for a multitude of reasons - perhaps I could approach a smaller rescue, or take on a 'preloved' dog that people try and sell when they get bored of them. I would just like a dog that I could work with, but isn't high energy like a husky etc. I will cross that bridge when it comes to it anyway, I'm not in a position to until my 23 year old cats call it a day - and at the rate their both going it could be a while!

I know what I will end up doing and that's taking on a grey muzzled staffy that someone has loved for a long time and replaced with a puppy or the like, I am a sucker for these when I come across them on Pets4Homes or similar websites; so sad.

There is a site (maybe golden oldies?) that rehomes old dogs, or even fosters them out to people. Just make sure there is vets bills support offered. Also many old dogs are not used to beoing left, if they have lived with elderly owners.

Battersea seem pretty sensible in their policies.

Birker2020

Visit site
There is a site (maybe golden oldies?) that rehomes old dogs, or even fosters them out to people. Just make sure there is vets bills support offered. Also many old dogs are not used to beoing left, if they have lived with elderly owners.

Battersea seem pretty sensible in their policies.
https://www.oldies.org.uk/2021/jet-sasha-oldies-club-fostered-lincolnshire

I think this is the website. I like these pair!
The charity have plenty of descriptions about the dog likes/dislikes and they seem open and honest.