How do you pronounce...

Beausmate

Visit site
I heard someone on the Beeb pronounce Frome as in Rome not Froom. You'd think they should get it right!

Tintinhull is another that shows up visitors. :D

As for Welsh words.....who knows!?!

Billabongchick

Visit site
Le Mieux? I've heard it as Ley Mow, Ley Mew and Le Mee-urh. The last would be my preference but have got into the habit of saying it like the first as that is what they called it in the tack shop!

starryeyed

Visit site
was spelt Leo-minster, easy, apparently its Lempster!

I've heard this one quite a few times, you're not alone! ;)

edit: oh oh oh - I've thought of (a probably very obvious) one! - What is the right way to pronounce "Iveco"?! I've heard it so many ways (eye-vey-co, ee-vek-oh, ee-vee-co, eye-vaay-ko) - and have no idea which is right :eek:

Last edited:

RutlandH2O

Visit site
I've heard this one quite a few times, you're not alone! ;)

edit: oh oh oh - I've thought of (a probably very obvious) one! - What is the right way to pronounce "Iveco"?! I've heard it so many ways (eye-vey-co, ee-vek-oh, ee-vee-co, eye-vaay-ko) - and have no idea which is right :eek:

Ee-vek-oh, definitely. It's like Ibiza...the letter i should be pronounced the same way, which is ee: ee-bee-thuh. Not Eye-bee-thuh.

E13

Visit site
Is chaff really 'charff'?? I'm in the south and have never heard this!!! I say 'barth' and 'grarss' and 'farst' but 'chAff'... is this wrong then???

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
I heard someone on the Beeb pronounce Frome as in Rome not Froom. You'd think they should get it right!

Tintinhull is another that shows up visitors. :D

As for Welsh words.....who knows!?!

I have heard it pronounced wrong on Radio 2 by the traffic lady.

I'm from oop north and when I first moved down here I too called it Frome as in ROME!! LOL!!!

I've been caught out by Leominster too! :D:D

frannieuk

Visit site

I've just bought an Iveco and, so far, I've been pronouncing it Ford ;)

Blanche

Down the road,up the hill,second gate on the left
Visit site
I've just bought an Iveco and, so far, I've been pronouncing it Ford ;)

Fantastic:D .

A friend told me she had qualified for some show at Throw Um :confused: , it was Frome .

Ceredigion is ( I think ) pronounced Care a dig ee on . I am hopeless at spelling phonetically(sp) but that is the gist of it .

Haitch and aitch - OMG drives me round the bend when people add H to an aitch sound .

Ancient Hacker

Visit site
There's a well known competition centre up here called Osbaldeston. I once knew two people nearly come to blows over whether to pronounce it

Os bald ESTON

or

Os BALDerston!

It was Os BALDeston for donkeys years then decided to go posh and change it to Os bald ESTON! :)

That's not too bad actually - I'd expect it to be something weird like "Osten" or something, where a whole bundle of letters miraculously vanish. The challenge to foreigners travelling in the UK is quite something, even for English-speakers. I once asked for directions to Bruffton (Broughton, I think in Cheshire, aka "Brawtin". And then there are people called "Featherstonehough" or suchlike which I'm told is "Fanshaw". But this may just be a colonial legend :confused:

Just please don't anyone mention Welsh names... I especially love it when Welsh people tell me "it's easy, you just pronounce it phonetically" and then say something frankly unintelligible that does not even slightly resemble the written word as I see it.

And as for the "menage" (a trois?) beloved of estate agents selling equestrian properties! Manege, surely (with the appropriate accent aigu, which I am tragically unable to type :eek:)

fburton

Visit site
And as for the "menage" (a trois?) beloved of estate agents selling equestrian properties! Manege, surely (with the appropriate accent aigu, which I am tragically unable to type :eek:)
I'm amazed how many people manege to get this wrong.

Farage (as in Nigel)... It looks like it should rhyme with garage. So is it farr-aaahhhzh (posh), or farridge (normal)?

TandD

Visit site
sorry to rescrrect this thread..... but i came across 'fybagee' today (stuff you put under stable bandages)

so is it fi-bag-ee?
or fy-bage-ee?
or something else?

TarrSteps

Visit site
To further confuse the place name conversation, there are places in other English speaking countries named after places here that are pronounced differently. I used to live in Kes-Wick Ontario, not Kez-ick.

Accent is a bit of a different game though. Dropped h's, for instance, are not consistent across the UK and have never been 'correct' in other English speaking parts of the world.

Re French pronunciations in the US for horse related terms, presumably because there has been more French influence there. Probably helped by the fact that there are more native French speakers, place names etc in North America.

Lolo

Visit site
I'm amazed how many people manege to get this wrong.

Farage (as in Nigel)... It looks like it should rhyme with garage. So is it farr-aaahhhzh (posh), or farridge (normal)?

And I just realised I've always said garage to rhyme with his name. Why has no one ever corrected me? I'm cringing. I am alone in my room, crimson with embarrassment.

Darremi

Visit site
American's pronounce Kentucky Derby as in "durr-bee" and we pronounce it as in Epsom "Dar-bee".

Try pronouncing "Milngavie" and "Kirkcudbright" - us Scots make no sense with our pronunciations either!!

JFTDWS

Visit site
And I just realised I've always said garage to rhyme with his name. Why has no one ever corrected me? I'm cringing. I am alone in my room, crimson with embarrassment.

Me too. I'm quite happy to be odd though. I also have always talked about having "BREAKfast" not "brekfast" like normal folk. I blame my confused accent - home counties, with a hint of Glaswegian and undertones of Essix.

Try pronouncing "Milngavie" and "Kirkcudbright" - us Scots make no sense with our pronunciations either!!

I used to live in Milngavie. Useless information :)

Mrs G

Visit site
I say barth, grarss, and charf, but got told the other day that I also say yah, rather than yes, so am now a smidge self conscious :D

Self conscious? I'm going to pretend I'm mute from now on and just point at a catalogue picture/ map/ menu and grunt.... Even words I was sure of it seems I have been saying wrong/differently!

Last edited: