How easy is your yard to reach in the snow?

Visit site
We got stuck in the snow tonight in my mum's car for an hour and a half! YO came to our rescue in the end!
wink.gif
So tomorrow we are going to have to walk the last mile or so the yard.
tongue.gif

HollyB66

Visit site
We couldn't get our car off of the drive today and it would have been impossible to make it out of our road because of ungritted hills. So, we had to walk to the yard.

2 miles each way in 8" of snow!!! once in a while is fine, wouldn't want to do it every day - looks like I'll have to do it tomorrow though! took 35 mins to walk - so not too bad really, but left home at 1pm and got back at 5pm - goodness knows what took us so long at the yard.

Enfys

Visit site
Glad you got back safely then, don't forget to chuck a shovel and a blanket in the car for tomorrow, sack of grit/salt too if you have it.

Ummm, mine is very easy, depending on whether I have to dig my way across or not. If it has drifted then sometimes it is a bit of pain wading through it.
From the back door:
DSCF7029.jpg

FestiveSpirit

Visit site
Mine is, it has to be admitted, a bit difficult.... it must be...hmmm... all of forty paces from my door to my horses stable
crazy.gif

tongue.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

I love living on my yard
grin.gif
grin.gif
grin.gif

hairymolly

Visit site
I have also been stuck in the snow on the way to the yard before. YO son came to my rescue in the tractor. I was raging I had driven the first three miles up the single track hilly road only to get stuck about 100 yards from the yard.

glenruby

Visit site
Having driven to 17 yards in the East Midlands today I can only say nobody in their right minds would be driving down most of those roads and tracks! Had 3 360degree skids and nearly skidded into a pond twice - not good! Two of the private yards I went to today said they were snowed in so couldnt go to work - didnt seem to realise I had just driven in to talk to them and see their horses - neither of them I would have called snowed in!

suzyseymour

Visit site
It's a 10 minute walk for me, really easy, if the roads are at all bad I just walk. By the time I've defrosted the car then crawled to the yard its quicker just to walk.

ISHmad

Visit site
We could walk if we needed to. Would take about 50 minutes to do that. If the roads stay as bad as they have been we may well do that for the next few days!

Chex

Visit site
I could walk to mine if I had to, about 3 miles each way, but I'd be seriously worried about getting taken out by passing cars (narrow windy roads not the best!). The roads are usually clear-ish, but have to go down and then up a very steep, windy hill
frown.gif

Only once not been able to get up, but that was in serious snow years ago when the the drifts were far taller than me and very disorientating when snow is taller than walls and fences
crazy.gif

Gooby

Visit site
My lasy yard was difficult at the top of a long steep him then down a country road, and a steep slope down onto the yard then turn off into the car park either of which are gritted. New yard is down the motorway and an A road so hopefully they will be gritted and then a flat gravel car park, its just when you get onto the yard its a skating rink!

elsielouise

Visit site
1 mile exactly by road or three fields if I walk. With baby I usually drive unless also taking three dogs along also for the fun of it!

JessPickle

Visit site
its not that far miles wise, however its not very walkable as its off a dual carriageway, would take at least 1hr 30 mins to walk even then would be very long and difficult!

However have a fab YO who phones us and lets us know whats going on, and if need be will do the horses even.

3Beasties

Visit site
I wouldn't be able to walk to mine as it's 20 miles away
crazy.gif
Will struggle to get there if we get more then a few cm's of snow as the yard is very high up and my car won't make it up the steep hills
shocked.gif

Tinkerbee

Visit site
Fairly, for me. It's within walking distance.

However it is up a very steep hill which has some pretty lethal bends at the best of times.

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Across the yard, but it can be a bit difficult getting home from work, or out to work if the snow drifts. Does curtail ones social life a bit as well.