How essential is it to share before buying your first horse?

jkitten

Visit site
I got back into riding in November after a 20 year gap, and currently spend one day a week volunteering at my riding school, both to rebuild my groundwork skills and build relationships within the (really lovely) yard.

I'm not looking to do anything more for at least a year, but I have been thinking/day dreaming of the 'next step'. I see a lot of people recommending sharing a horse before buying, which seems like a good idea in theory, but quite difficult in practice? I've been looking within a 30 mile radius and there are about 3 horses being offered to share. None of them would be workable for me anyway (either too small or too complicated), but in any case all the ads clearly state 'no novices'. In addition, two are kept privately, so I would be the only person around on my days, which even though I am fine doing day to day care, I would not feel comfortable with.

I know COVID changes things, but I asked my instructor and he said it's not much different in normal times around here. When the time comes, I honestly would prefer to just buy a horse with the support of my instructor, stable it on part or full livery (whichever one it is where all the work is done except for exercise, it seems to change from yard to yard) my riding school where I know people and trust their expertise.

I'm 34 and financially comfortable enough that I could bring in additional outside help if needed. However, I worry that I'm being selfish just because sharing sounds inconvenient. I want to do things 'right', and especially right by the horse. What are everyone's thoughts?

Orangehorse

Visit site
If you have ridden and kept a horse before then you know the basics. But if you were only 14 when you gave up before, then I guess you were on ponies, believe me, there is a difference between ponies and horses. Ponies tend to look after themselves, whereas horses need looking after by their owners - in broad terms! I made bad mistakes with my first horse.

Getting a share is a halfway house, to find out if you are OK with the commitment both financially and lifestyle without finding yourself buying a horse you can't cope with for whatever reason.

Think very carefully about what you want to do with a horse. There is a tendency to buy the horse you would like to have, rather than the one that fits in with your lifestyle and what you can realistically do.

jkitten

Visit site
Thanks for all the replies so far, much to think about!

Just to clarify, I have never owned or shared a horse before, even as a child. I took weekly lessons at a riding school and helped out there during weekends, so I know how to do the daily work like groom, catch, muck out, etc., but have never been responsible for a horse.

In terms of horse vs pony, I don't know if it makes any difference but I'd be looking for more of a buddy than anything else. My dream would be a sweet-natured cob over 10 years old, with impeccable manners and as calm as possible without being an absolute plod. I just want to go hacking and pop over the occasional fence in the school, nothing more.

Vodkagirly

Visit site
You get to experience different yards and people and work out what works for you.
It's not essential but it gives you a minimal commitment to what you are letting yourself in for.
I think sharing is a good way to build your horsey network as well, so down the line you know who had a good experience with a saddler, physio etc

Visit site
Do what feels right for you, in your individual circumstances. I wouldn’t fret too much about what other people choose to do, or feel an obligation to follow a particular course of action because it seems like the done thing.

Just be realistic, self-aware and prudent - which it sounds like you are being.

If a great share opportunity comes along - take it. If it doesn’t, I don’t think it stops you from buying your own when you feel ready to.

nikicb

www.facebook.com
In terms of horse vs pony, I don't know if it makes any difference but I'd be looking for more of a buddy than anything else. My dream would be a sweet-natured cob over 10 years old, with impeccable manners and as calm as possible without being an absolute plod. I just want to go hacking and pop over the occasional fence in the school, nothing more.

I think you sound very sensible, have a supportive and knowledgeable network around you, and it should be perfectly doable. Just make sure you take your instructor with you to view any horse you have set your heart on and have it vetted by an independent (to the seller) vet. Good luck! :) x

Cob Life

Visit site
Do what works for you.

I love sharing. I get on great with their owners. We’re on a private yard and I love it as it gives me time away from everyone else but the owners are happy to hang around if I’m jumping etc.

just make sure any horse you try (either to buy or share) you take an instructor and see it ridden before you get on. And be realistic. I tried a share and he was gorgeous but young and I knew that I just wouldn’t be able to handle him. Where blue was green and young but very workable and safe.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
its not essential to share. i helped at a riding school and used to get the odd ride as payment for working, and after a while progressed to taking the rides and then bought my own horse who i kept at the riding school and used him to take the rides so my livery was cheaper...if you do buy your own make sure you do not overhorse yourself. even after 40 years of horse ownership, i did just that with my last horse and it was very scary. i bought her with the intention of doing dressage, so she was a quality horse and quirky which i would have been fine with when i was 20 but being 56 i found out i didnt bounce as well and i lost my confidence, so be warned...

madmav

Visit site
I did a fabulous share for 10 years. But they are very hard to find. Right owner, yard, horse etc. Had plenty of wrong ones along the way. Sounds like you have a good set up where you are. I would be guided by them and find that perfect horse, that is just yours! Good luck!

shamrock2021

Visit site
Nope they are not essential. A good share is impossible to find. Most people only share because they can’t afford to have there own horse. Most people if they had a choice they would have there own horse.

PapaverFollis

Visit site
Not essential at all. It might be useful in some circumstances but in your situation I would go straight into owning on part/full livery with support from your instructor. Go for an older horse with a kind nature. Cobs are often good but don't narrow down your field of search with preconceptions. There's plenty of quiet, sweet lighter horses out there (and plenty of nutty/argy bargy cobs!).

Take your instructor to view horses. Get a vetting from a good horse vet to get a third opinion.

It's scary getting your first horse as an adult but it's fine. Finding a good share is scarier in my opinion!

Sir barnaby

Visit site
I have a horse which I was lucky to know from the age of 4 then when he was six I had him on loan for a couple months I got on so well I was able to buy him and have had him for 6 years now. I’m getting on a bit and don’t want to ride a lot but I have two friends who come over and ride him out and I usually go with them on my bike to keep them company and it helps with my fitness. They are not sharers but it gives them the opportunity of different riding from going to a riding school, ready for when they do eventually get their own horses when the time is right.

Trouper

Visit site
It's not essential at all but I agree switching from ponies to horses is a big step. I would concentrate on learning all I could about stable management and how to care for your own rather than just ride a share horse.

Cutgrass

Visit site
I came back to riding at the start of this year and loved it so much I immediately started looking at buying my own. My husband put his foot down as it's not practical (we have two small children and both work, etc.) and a local share came up so I took it. Now I'm so relieved I did. The responsibility of a share is more than enough and on my 'off days' I appreciate not dragging myself to a freezing yard at specific times. I also have time to ride other horses atm and see other yards with friends. If I'd gone straight to ownership I feel like my experience this time round would be limited. Now, when I do finally get my own in a few years, I'll be able to bring a lot more varied experience to my own.

Leam_Carrie

Visit site
I think a share gives you an idea of the work and commitment involved in having a horse. I shared before I had my own. It was nice having some off days.

As you’re planning part-livery you won’t be doing seven days twice a day. Perhaps try riding lessons a few times a week to get a feel for the time needed? Horse vary on the amount of exercise needed, so something to think about when horse shopping.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
I often wonder where the advocates of sharing prior to owning think all these horses just waiting to be shared are. It's a very long time ago now, (about 50 yrs) but sharing was definitely not a 'thing' when sister and I got our first horse. I had been riding regularly for 8 yrs, both at a very good RS, with some visits to other RS and riding a friend's ponies during school holidays, in those days we were expected to know how to tack up before and put away a horse after a lesson. I had frequently ridden horses bareback through the village to their summer grazing and had spent a year volunteering after a weekly lesson while I was away at college. Sister had similar riding experience
Our Dad, whose father had driven a Welsh cob on a greengrocery and egg round until Dad was about 8 yrs old, was also very supportive and felt that it was his responsibility to ensure that the horse was cared for correctly at the same time as ensuring that we were safe. We kept our first horse on a local farm with the farmer's daughter's pony, so no YO to support us.
Our gelding was an excellent first horse, who taught us a lot while being forgiving of our mistakes and set us up for many years of successful horse-owning. You don't need to share, you will be better, imho doing as much research and getting as much varied experience as you can, then buying an 'easy-keeper' and finding what works best for you and that horse.

smolmaus

Visit site
If you get on well with your instructor you could ask about "sharing" one of the school horses? Maybe doing night duties and getting them sorted for bed after a lesson. Or even just upping your one days volunteering to a few hours in the evenings as well so you get the "it's 7pm and pitch back, I'm hungry and tired but the pony needs done" realism ?

I'm in much the same situation as yourself. Casually keeping an eye for a suitable share and just getting as much experience with handling and stable duties as possible while volunteering. Particularly feeding different types, supplements or meds for potential health problems, monitoring hoof health etc which is something you don't necessarily get from riding school lessons. My goal is to buy next year whether a share happens or not really. Most people seem to find a share through friends that need a hand and I'm finding it's hard to build those contacts if you're only at a yard once a week or so.

SparklerStar

Visit site
Hi there, lovely to hear your experiences and so good you have a supportive instructor and yard! I am in a similar position except my riding gap has only been 4 years! I was wondering if you could share the rest of your story and how horse hunting goes and the hiccoughs you go through as I've never owned a horse and I'm from a non horsey family (I did work at a riding school for many years though!). But I would love to know how to navigate the horse buying world how to deal with insurance, finding livery etc from someone with a similar horse background!

Cheval Gal

Visit site
I share. I'm lucky: great horse, great owner, great yard. I am saving for my own but won't be ready cash wise for the next year or so.

Sharing 'keeps my hand in' - I have total responsibility on my days and have my routine now in terms of stable and horse management and riding. It is a good foundation for ownership.

I do appreciate that shares - particularly good ones- are hard to find. It is based on trust, communication and partnership. However, I do think sharing is the ideal scenario for someone wanting to buy. It took me around 9 months to find the share I have now and I'm glad I took my time as I feel more ready for when I buy my own.

As others have said, though, a helpful and knowledge YO is invaluable to us all, whether we have previouly shared or not.

Good luck, whatever you decide.

Barlow

Visit site
For me, what was most helpful was finding a sympathetic livery yard owner. I basically turned up and said “I want to buy a horse and keep it here but I don’t know where to start”. I was able to help out and handle horses, plus have lessons on their horses before making the step to buying my own. I had tried riding in riding schools but you only got the time you paid for on the horse and I didn’t fit in with clique of teenagers and children that helped around the place. I tried a share - 3 in fact the first one the owner sold the horse and I wasn’t in a position to buy, the second one kept putting the monthly cost up and the third I thought was great to begin with but after the share put me in hospital for the nth time I decided enough was enough (it was only later I found out that yard staff refused to ride it and the owner would only hack in draw reins). A bit unconventional I know but it certainly worked out for me. You could try joining your local riding club and asking for pointers/offering help there

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
Not essential and if there are none suitable in your area, then it won't be an option. However I think where sharing can help is giving you a taste of what it's like to be responsible for a horse unsupervised both on the ground and ridden. Things like riding on your own in the school without someone on the ground telling you what to do and maybe the horse doesn't want to cooperate that day. And the advantage with a share is you can just walk away if it's not working out. If it's your own horse then it's more difficult.