How far away from your home is your horses livery yard?

LOZHUG

Visit site
5 min walk or 2 min in the car. Its great I can see my horse looking out from the spare bedroom window
smile.gif

savannahmelody

Visit site
Not at home but rent some stables at the bottom of my road so 2 mins walk,5 mins walk back because its uphill lol
Would be able to see them from upstairs window if peoles houses didnt get in the way.

StarFell

Visit site
Swift08, do you find the travelling a problem? I've found a lovely yard and I'm next on the waiting list for a space but it's going to be about 20 mins drive. My current yard is 10 minutes but I'm not happy there
frown.gif

3Beasties

Visit site
Mine are kept at were I work (not a livery yard though) 20 miles from my house which is 30 minute drive away.

dornrose

Visit site
furthest I kept mine was about 30 mins from home and in the end the travelling did get a bit much so moved them closer, but for full or part livery it wouldnt be a problem.

lizzie_liz

Visit site
I have been pondering this question lately as I am moving down to Edinburgh and so far it appears that many of the yards that appeal are at least 10 miles away.

Closest I have had my horse is 2 miles away, then it was 4 miles and now it is about 6 miles away.

Damnation

Visit site
11 miles away, about a 15 minute drive, or 25mins by bus. I have been in that area at two differant yards, for about 2 years now and I have never found the drive much of a problem.

Hedwards

Visit site
7.2 miles (i clocked it so i know thats right!) about 10-15 minutes depending on traffic. its the furthest away i've ever had to travel, but its a great yard so i'm not going anywhere else.

Ziggy_

Visit site
12 miles from my house, about 25 mins drive from my house and 40 mins drive from the yard to work.

I moved four days ago after spending six months searching for a yard closer to home which I liked - there weren't any. So far I haven't found the drive a particular problem but the first night I did get home at 9pm!

I think the distance will be a bit of a pain especially come winter, but far better to do a bit of travelling and have a happy horse than be somewhere you don't like because its convienient. So far I love my new yard and on the plus side the hacking is much better around here, with access to the beach and everything instead of endless roadwork.
cool.gif

ETA - I do pay for assistance however and YO turns my horse out each morning so I only have to go once a day. I think going twice would just be too much.

saddlesore

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I think the distance will be a bit of a pain especially come winter, but far better to do a bit of travelling and have a happy horse than be somewhere you don't like because its convienient.

[/ QUOTE ]

Ditto this. My horse has just moved to a new yard which is 30mins drive away vs the 10mins drive to last yard, but the new yard has better grazing, loads of company, great hacking and an indoor school
grin.gif
I don't really mind the travelling but I only do it once a day.