How far do people travel to yards?

Araboo27

Visit site
The title says it all really, I'm curious how far everyone travels each day! I'm thinking under 30 mins is doable, the closer the better but there's a lot more choice if I look a bit further afield.

Araboo27

Visit site
Wow, that's perfect! There's a lovely little yard about 1.5 miles away so only 5 mins or so but the turnout is a bit limited and they can't live out even through summer. Don't get me wrong - if a stable became available there I'd bite their hand off for it. I suppose it's common to have to compromise a bit.

NativePonyLover

Visit site
I live 20 miles away from my DIY livery (although with assistance available) - it does make it harder work, being further away, as I used to live 2.5 miles away & so notice the extra travel in both time & petrol costs!

DirectorFury

Visit site
I'm 8 miles/15 minutes from my DIY yard. Have previously kept horse a 4-5 minute drive away but had to compromise big time on quality and facilities (bottomless mud turnout all year, no maintenance of anything). I love my current yard and wouldn't hesitate to travel 20-30 minutes to get to one with the same quality and facilities.

NaeNae87

Visit site
I am 24.6km (15.5 miles) from where I keep my horses. It takes between 30 and 45 mins (depending on traffic) to get out there. Although where I am from, it's quite hard to find places to keep horses closer to the city.
Previously they were 33.4km (20.1 miles) from home.

DressageCob

Visit site
If going from my parents' house it is 10 minutes away.

However, I work 1 hour 45 minutes form my parents' house, so Monday to Friday the drive to my yard takes 1 hour 35 minutes in good traffic. My horse is on full livery to account for this.

Greylegs

Visit site
My lad is 8 miles/15 minutes away. I did have him at a yard under a mile away for a few months, but moved him back to my old place recently for various reasons. It was nice having him so close to home over the winter but generally prefer the place we are now so have to put up with the extra travelling.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
The title says it all really, I'm curious how far everyone travels each day! I'm thinking under 30 mins is doable, the closer the better but there's a lot more choice if I look a bit further afield.

1 step................. straight out my front door:)

el_Snowflakes

Visit site
Just a few miles away. I wouldn't like to be much further incase of emergency or bad weather. Also, like most folk I'm pushed for time as it is!

wiz07

Visit site
8.5 miles takes 15 mins on a good run. I could get closer to home , but i rent a feild on my own and would hate to return to livery yards now. I have made my pwn stables in a barn out of pallets and the long drive twice a day is worth it to be on my own with my horses :)

PollyP99

Visit site
Yard is about 3 miles from home which is the only way I could cope as I have a 60 mile commute to work! I guess you can have travel to yard and local work or vice versa, anything else would kill me!

scheherazade

Visit site
Mine are 20 minutes drive away / 10 miles but they are on full livery so I only go there when I am riding (5 days a week) Couldn't cope with work / child / DIY livery at that distance

Araboo27

Visit site
I'm so jealous of you guys with horses at home!! That's my plan the future ;-)

I'm going to see a yard on Sunday that's about 7 miles away, not too bad and could always move closer to home when a stable becomes available.

Luckily I'm at uni so only do three days and have great holidays!! I finish the 2nd of June and don't go back til October :) My three young children are going to be the trickiest thing to manage but it's their pony so they'll have to get stuck in and help!!

Last edited:

Sologirl

Visit site
Used to be a 40 second walk - kept him at a small private yard at the back of my house. But there were no facilities or anyone to hack out with, so I moved him to a livery yard about 10 minutes away. Love it!

Deltaflyer

Visit site
Mine is 5 miles away, any closer to where I live and there'd be nowhere to hack. I'm on assisted DIY so only have to go up after work during the week. My place of work is also only 5 miles from where I live but sadly in the opposite direction. I have been at yards further from home but that was in the olden days when traffic wasn't so horrendous and petrol was a darn sight cheaper. Also many yards have been lost to housing development :(

Lucky788

Visit site
Currently 15 minutes but this is changing to 40 minutes as moving house soon.
Wouldn't want to change yards as perfect set up and excellent riding.
I am lucky as share a field with my friend so one of us does morning one evening which makes it easier.
I have had him 2 secs down the road but the riding is awful and would rather drive a little longer for nice riding.

Cinnamontoast

Fais pas chier!
Visit site
6 miles, can be 40 minutes in traffic due to part of it being a very busy dual carriageway. It's only about 2 miles from work, tho, which is very handy during the week. I do wish it were closer.

Spit That Out

Visit site
It's just over 9 miles door to door and takes 35 mins to drive it during the week due to traffic but weekends I can do it in about 20.
Week days it can be terrible as it's a rat run from the M6!

Echo24

Visit site
10 mins drive, 3.5 miles away. It's DIY so personally would not wasn't to be further then 10 mins, AYTO with 24/7 in the summer which is important to me. Hacking isn't great which the compromise so I'm looking into transport so I can box up to some off road hacking!

FinkleyAlex

Visit site
15 minutes, I really dislike having to travel further than that as I find it really takes away from me looking forward to seeing my horses.