How far do you travel to your yard?

Amaretto

Visit site
Hi All,
Obviously not aimed at those who keep their horses at home, but for those who travel, how far/how long is it to get there?
My current yard is a mile away from my house. I’ve previously driven to a yard 20 minutes away. I think my limit would be 40 minutes, provided the facilities were up to scratch. Interested to know what your reasons are for travelling a bit further and does this outweigh having your horse very close to home?

meleeka

Visit site
A mile. As I’m not on a livery yard I like the fact I can walk there if I need to and can also pop up during the day or night for whatever reason. I think 20 minutes would be my limit in my set up but if there were other people that could step in if needed or notice anything wrong I’d probably go up to half an hour.

humblepie

Visit site
Around 20 minutes. Do that twice a day. Horse was on part livery but is now DIY as part no longer offered. It is nearer to where I work which was one of the reasons for moving there but am still working from home.

I was at a yard that was about 40 minutes (perhaps 30 on a good run) which was a lovely yard with fabulous school and really knowledgeable trainer. It was in the wrong direction (opposite direction to work and a busy road). He was on part livery so used to go probably 5 or 6 days a week. The turn out got very limited and there was never a regular pattern so a I moved from there.

wiglet

Visit site
Current yard is a 10 minute drive away. I can walk there in 10 minutes too by using a public footpath (using an actual road takes longer!)
Previous yards have been further away - around a 45-60 min drive, which has been ok because it was full livery but when on DIY, I don't like being more than a 20 minute drive away.

sportsmansB

Visit site
Mine is 25 mins away
I only need to go once a day (or not at all if not riding)- its the limit of how far I would go but the facilities are amazing and if I can't make it for any reason they will ride or turn him out for me

SillySally

Visit site
Mine's about 10 minutes away which I feel is very lucky really. I've been much further previously (maybe 20-25 mins) and it was fine but knowing you can so easily pop over to change a rug or pop home if you've forgotten something (maybe a rug :) ) is nice. It does depend on whether it's full or DIY of course.

Amaretto

Visit site
Around 20 minutes. Do that twice a day. Horse was on part livery but is now DIY as part no longer offered. It is nearer to where I work which was one of the reasons for moving there but am still working from home.

I was at a yard that was about 40 minutes (perhaps 30 on a good run) which was a lovely yard with fabulous school and really knowledgeable trainer. It was in the wrong direction (opposite direction to work and a busy road). He was on part livery so used to go probably 5 or 6 days a week. The turn out got very limited and there was never a regular pattern so a I moved from there.

Hey there, I should have said - this would be for full livery for two horses.
Current yard is a 10 minute drive away. I can walk there in 10 minutes too by using a public footpath (using an actual road takes longer!)
Previous yards have been further away - around a 45-60 min drive, which has been ok because it was full livery but when on DIY, I don't like being more than a 20 minute drive away.

Hey there, I should have said - this would be for full livery for two horses. You honestly didn’t mind the drive? This would be my worry, as I’m used to having them so close. I’m now full time working from home, so I don’t have a work commute to factor in any more. :)

wiglet

Visit site
Hey there, I should have said - this would be for full livery for two horses. You honestly didn’t mind the drive? This would be my worry, as I’m used to having them so close. I’m now full time working from home, so I don’t have a work commute to factor in any more. :)

At the time, I didn't mind. I was in bad health and couldn't do the work myself so needed full livery. I wasn't driving there everyday, probably only 3 times a week.

If I was having to drive that far everyday, I would no doubt grow to resent it but, in fairness if it's an easy drive (quiet, country roads with no heavy traffic), I find that kind of travelling quite enjoyable. That said, I absolutely prefer my horse to be nearby - that way I can go up as much as I want and whenever I want.

smolmaus

Visit site
20 mins, 25 if I hit traffic at the wrong time and I feel very lucky! There are several places closer but none of them offer all day herd turnout. And they just turn everybody out in the morning so only really need to go up once a day.

I was loaning at a yard 35-40 mins away for a few months and it was very draining. Didn't even involve jobs really as they all lived out but that extra 15 mins either way really made a difference.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
10 miles / 20 mins to the yard
nowhere that meets our needs any closer. there are lots of yards but nothing suitable. 2 on DIY though YO will occasionally help me out if necessary.

I have 5 others within walking distance tho, they live out with no facilities.

Furthest i have been for DIY was 20 miles/30 mins which was a bit much. I paid for assistance after a while but they were so unreliable I'd arrive and find no one had seen to my horse. grrrr.

BarneyTheChestnutOne

Visit site
We have the ridden one at a livery yard 25 minutes away, generally go one side of the day and lovely yard owner does the other side of the day.

We also rent a field/stables that is 7 minutes from home, where our Shetlands, retired horse and 3 year old all live. I go there twice a day.

Sussexbythesea

Visit site
Mine are on DIY and kept 5 miles away by road and it takes 10-12 minutes on average to travel there. I have to cross a railway line which can delay me by quite some time if I get to the crossings at the wrong time.

I used to have one on part/ full livery 20 miles away which took me about 30 minutes each way to drive. I loathed the driving even though I didn’t go every day or more than once. The yard itself didn’t turn out to be what I thought it was either. After a colic episode I decided I wanted him nearer. Even though I go twice a day every day now the journey doesn’t bother me like the 30 minute journey did.

The Fuzzy Furry

Getting old disgracefully
Visit site
3 different routes across/round town.
Shortest is 3.3 miles, longest 5.1.
Quickest in rush hour is the 4.3 mile one unless there is roadworks or smash etc.....

takes anything from 6 mins at early doors or v late at night to up to 45 mins in foul weather and roadworks combined. Average time allowed is 15 mins between 7am and 5pm not including school run times.

Annagain

Visit site
1.8 miles or 25 minutes if I walk or 2.2 miles or 5 minutes I drive. The yard is lovely but hacking is limited to only a few routes all of which require negotiating a road that it busier than it was designed to be. To get even semi decent hacking I'd need to go 20 minutes away (more during rush hour as I'd have to negotiate a very busy roundabout) and for significantly better hacking I'd need to go about 35 minutes away. As I'm on DIY it's just not viable so we box up for better hacking and a change of scenery every couple of weeks or so.

windand rain

Visit site
8 miles about 10 to 15 minutes the reason being it was the only field to rent when we moved house and we get on well with the landlord and dont have much contact so very peaceful I do like to keep it in perfect order though

Widgeon

Visit site
8 miles, 17 minutes on country roads if I don't get stuck behind a tractor or a Sunday driver. Wouldn't want to do longer on assisted DIY - however if had posh full livery and all I had to do was turn up, tack up a clean horse and ride it, I could probably do longer.

MuddyMonster

Visit site
About ten minutes depending on how many tractor I get stuck behind :D

When I was on full livery it was 40 minutes travel each way. It ended up being too much - I can do all my stable jobs in the time it used to take me to drive to my previous yard.

Hormonal Filly

Visit site
Very lucky only a 5 minute drive and rarely hit traffic as a straight road.

I’d travel a maximum of 20 minutes twice a day, maybe longer if only going once a day but hard to find a decent yard around here!

JGC

Visit site
20 mins, but there's only one livery place nearer (and only 5 mins at that) and they don't have any facilities, so there's not much of a choice.

If I ever had to leave there, I'd be in a bind and might have to try to rent a field.

Amaretto

Visit site
About ten minutes depending on how many tractor I get stuck behind :D

When I was on full livery it was 40 minutes travel each way. It ended up being too much - I can do all my stable jobs in the time it used to take me to drive to my previous yard.
I think 40 mins would be my absolute limit and only if the facilities were amazing ? , plus had proper winter turnout.

Xmas lucky

Visit site
5 minutes drive I very lucky to live in a horsey area there is also another yard 3 minutes walk but the care isn’t great so I decided not to move my horses there .