How fast do you pass a pony and trap?

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I am feeling extra sensitive today and I may be in the wrong here, but I am feeling quite mad after passing a pony and trap in the village. I hate feeling that I have done something wrong, despite my efforts, and I thought I'd ask for opinions.

I drove through the village this lunchtime and encountered a pony and trap (two people) coming towards me. I have passed these same people and same pony on multiple occasions (and they have never smiled, said thanks or looked anything but grumpy) - the pony plods along without a care in the world and does not seem at all concerned by any traffic. It's a fairly straight bit of road so the pony, drivers and I had a clear view of each other approaching. I slowed down and gave them a wide berth, significantly more than a car's breadth, since that bit of road is quite wide. I did not look at my speedometer but I would say maximum of 15mph.

Both people in the trap glared at me like from start to finish, like I was the spawn of satan. Was I going too fast? I assume they would like me to be slower, but I feel that I was going at a safe speed for the situation. I know that if I was riding on the road and someone passed me like that then I would be delighted, although I would pass a horse and rider or a horse and trap slower in other situations. For example if I was coming from behind, poorer conditions, different layout of road, horse/pony I had not seen before or one less calm.

Anyway, I suppose I am just venting about being glared at but please feel free to tell me that I was going too fast or should have done something differently!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
When I drove my old pony absolutely nobody slowed down for us. There was such a difference from when I was riding him. They treated the trap as an annoying obstruction like a tractor and sped past without any thought of what the pony might do. The most annoying ones stopped behind us at road junctions with inches between the car and the back of the trap so if the pony had fidgeted at all he could easily have backed into the car. It was just crazy and enough to convince me neer to take the youngster out on the road in the trap, though he has learned to drive in the school.

Maybe the people in the trap were just grumpy people.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Thank you all, maybe they are just miserable as you say! I have never once seen them smile and I asked my Mum (who lives in the village too) and she said they have always looked angry when she has seen them too, even though she slows down and gives them good clearance.

@Gloi, I'm sorry to hear that people didn't slow for you. Unfortunately I think it's people like the ones I encountered today who do the rest of us horsey people an injustice. I felt really miffed this afternoon and worried like I had made a mistake somehow. I can slow down even more in future if that's the problem or maybe as @Pearlsacarolsinger says they thought I shouldn't slow at all! Argh!

SEL

Visit site
I followed one trotting at 24 mph some time ago. I had a big queue of traffic behind me (60 mph speed limit) & i was totally clueless on over taking protocol. There is only 1 decent stretch but it didn't seem right to put my foot down like I'd do for a slow vehicle. So I just followed..... For miles!!

J&S

Visit site
There are some people (riders or drivers!) who you can't please! I was riding back along a very narrow lane and a car came towards me, I popped horse into a nice gap on the Right hand side of the road so that the car could come straight on up. As she passed me she wound down her window and gave me a lecture for being on the wrong side of the road!! To go to a gap on the Left i would have had to make her wait till I got there.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Oh crikey @SEL, that is awkward! Not sure what I'd do, probably the same as you! In my case you have never seen a slower pony and trap... if it moved any slower it would be still, haha. They did have a long line of cars behind them though as they'd just come around a bend up a hill!

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
There are some people (riders or drivers!) who you can't please! I was riding back along a very narrow lane and a car came towards me, I popped horse into a nice gap on the Right hand side of the road so that the car could come straight on up. As she passed me she wound down her window and gave me a lecture for being on the wrong side of the road!! To go to a gap on the Left i would have had to make her wait till I got there.

Oh lord above, why are people so grumpy?!

Trouper

Visit site
I am feeling extra sensitive today and I may be in the wrong here, but I am feeling quite mad after passing a pony and trap in the village. I hate feeling that I have done something wrong, despite my efforts, and I thought I'd ask for opinions.

I drove through the village this lunchtime and encountered a pony and trap (two people) coming towards me. I have passed these same people and same pony on multiple occasions (and they have never smiled, said thanks or looked anything but grumpy) - the pony plods along without a care in the world and does not seem at all concerned by any traffic. It's a fairly straight bit of road so the pony, drivers and I had a clear view of each other approaching. I slowed down and gave them a wide berth, significantly more than a car's breadth, since that bit of road is quite wide. I did not look at my speedometer but I would say maximum of 15mph.

Both people in the trap glared at me like from start to finish, like I was the spawn of satan. Was I going too fast? I assume they would like me to be slower, but I feel that I was going at a safe speed for the situation. I know that if I was riding on the road and someone passed me like that then I would be delighted, although I would pass a horse and rider or a horse and trap slower in other situations. For example if I was coming from behind, poorer conditions, different layout of road, horse/pony I had not seen before or one less calm.

Anyway, I suppose I am just venting about being glared at but please feel free to tell me that I was going too fast or should have done something differently!
Just carry on doing what you are doing and ignore their sulks. After all, they are so last year now.!!

rabatsa

Far from the madding crowd
Visit site
What is worse is that when you are driving a donkey aiming for a school pick up and a car overtakes and then stops in the middle of the road and all 4 doors open discharging elderly people, one of whom goes into the boot and emerges with a box of sugar lumps.

No way could I get past them. Should I have been really rude? And the donkey did not like sugar lumps although he took one and held it in his mouth before discreetly dropping it onto the floor.

As the donkey had a clock inside him he really zoomed the rest of the way to the school gate.

scruffyponies

Visit site
As others have said, probably them, not you. BUT, never presume what is going on in someone else's head. It might have been totally unrelated to you; some domestic problem or horrible circumstance, as can happen to any of us.

Also worth noting that a driver's control over their horse is limited if the horse isn't going forward, and if the horse is restive being held back may cause them to go sideways or backwards in a way which is much more dangerous driven than ridden. This means that there are circumstances (not suggesting that this was one of them) where a driver can get very anxious if a car goes too SLOWLY, as they desperately need to allow their horse to keep going.

scruffyponies

Visit site
What is worse is that when you are driving a donkey aiming for a school pick up and a car overtakes and then stops in the middle of the road and all 4 doors open discharging elderly people, one of whom goes into the boot and emerges with a box of sugar lumps.

No way could I get past them. Should I have been really rude? And the donkey did not like sugar lumps although he took one and held it in his mouth before discreetly dropping it onto the floor.

As the donkey had a clock inside him he really zoomed the rest of the way to the school gate.

This made me laugh.
:D

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site

You were in the right, I drive my pony and ALWAYS say thank you to cars who slow down or give us room.

These selfish people are going to pee people off, till the locals say sod this and start going past faster past ALL horse and riders, putting others at risk. I would be inclined to pull over and walk up to them and say iT COST nothing TO SAY THANKYOU TO A CAR but could cost as horse and riders life if you don't.

Nicnac

Visit site
There's no pleasing some people - I think you did exactly the right thing.

If I encounter a pony and trap whilst mounted I don't go past as am too busy hanging on for dear life as my usual Dobbin spins like a top and tries to p*ss off in the opposite direction!

Leo Walker

Visit site
I find they either race past with inches to spare, or crawl past so slowly it takes forever! My pony couldnt care less either way. I tend to wave the slower ones past, and mutter under my breath about the idiots flying past

Leo Walker

Visit site
There's no pleasing some people - I think you did exactly the right thing.

If I encounter a pony and trap whilst mounted I don't go past as am too busy hanging on for dear life as my usual Dobbin spins like a top and tries to p*ss off in the opposite direction!

The vast majoirty of horses go into meltdown of some description. My default is to stop my pony and let the rider come by however they feel safest.

scruffyponies

Visit site
The vast majoirty of horses go into meltdown of some description. My default is to stop my pony and let the rider come by however they feel safest.
I usually end up doing the same. Once, rather comically, the pony I was asking to stand like a saint whilst an arab mare went past sideways on two legs was a half broke 5yo stallion. He was a saint.

Equi

Visit site
I think sometimes people get the eyerolls when people pass too slow to be honest***. I would guess this pony was so very used to traffic it would not care if a lorry passed at 100mph. Was it me in the cart, i would say thank you. Pay no mind to this situation and just continue to do what you do.

*** i do totally appreciate people slowing down but when im out in the minis many people slow to about 5mph and coo and omg out the windows and i really wish i could say move on please im working.

Lois Lame

Visit site

*Giggle* What a good donkey :)

Lois Lame

Visit site
As others have said, probably them, not you. BUT, never presume what is going on in someone else's head. It might have been totally unrelated to you; some domestic problem or horrible circumstance, as can happen to any of us.

Also worth noting that a driver's control over their horse is limited if the horse isn't going forward, and if the horse is restive being held back may cause them to go sideways or backwards in a way which is much more dangerous driven than ridden. This means that there are circumstances (not suggesting that this was one of them) where a driver can get very anxious if a car goes too SLOWLY, as they desperately need to allow their horse to keep going.

Yes, I was thinking along these lines too.

Sometimes when I am concentrating I look like a snarky fiend. It's just a most unfortunate case of Resting Bitch Face.

Other times, when squinting due to the Australian sun (currently blocked by thick smoke from bushfires), people think I am smiling. I get so many friendly smiles in return which is lovely but then I feel like a fraud.

I'd like to look pleasant at all times, except for when I really am p*&%^$d off because then I think it's okay to look nonplussed.

Reactions: DSB

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
Thanks all! I'd like to say it was just a case of them having grumpy faces but it was both of the people in the trap really glaring at me and turning their heads to keep watching me as I drove by, very odd! I slowed down as I said but equally didn't crawl by, but if it happens again then I think I might try and ask them!

D66

Visit site
Drivers tend to pass horse and carriage too fast or hang back 50m and crawl behind you, holding a line of traffic behind them like they're petrified.
Worst bit is when you can hear a car approaching way too fast from 1/2 mile away and you know they are going to slam on the brakes when they come round the corner and see you. (well, you hope!). And with a carriage you cant get on the verge in anticipation.

HashRouge

Visit site
I was hugely impressed with my share horse recently when he met a pony and trap for the first time (I know he hasn't met one before as his owner told me and she backed him). I saw it coming from a distance and thought oh heck, I'm for it now, as he's a spooky, lively young Arab and it was quite a windy day so he was particularly bouncy. But they stopped for us and all he did was give it a sideways look, climb onto the grass verge to give it a wider berth, and then walk straight past! I was anticipating a meltdown, given that I once got stuck on a bridleway for 10 minutes with him as he wouldn't walk over a damp patch of track (because it wasn't damp last time...!).

I don't really like overtaking horses being driven when I'm in my car, I have to say. It's not too bad if you are going in opposite directions (in which case I'd have done exactly as you OP). But I'm not sure what to do when they are trotting. I tend to just stay behind as I feel like I have to go too fast to overtake, but I have previously had the passenger gesture for me to overtake when doing this. I had to go over 20 to overtake, which felt wrong, but they must have been fine with it if they wanted me to overtake, I guess.

scruffyponies

Visit site
Most driven horses are plenty used to being overtaken, and quite happy for you to do so, so long as it's safe. Main thing is not to hang about parallel to the horse - we'd rather you put your foot down and got past, since you're probably close (most roads are quite narrow) right where a spook will prang the shaft into your car, and we'd have to pay for it. :/

FWIW, as a regular road driver, my pet hates are:
Drivers who keep their foot on the gas on approach which suggests they're not even considering slowing.
Total failure to recognise that you're about to turn right, despite clear arm signal - they're too hell bent on overtaking to care. I find the 'reminder stick' we carry useful in this situation.
Overtaking when there is oncoming traffic - clearly some drivers are just more important than others. Grrr.

I don't mind cars who come batting around a corner at speed, and have to slow sharply when they see us. They were paying attention, reacted as soon as they saw us... and the sheepish looks are priceless.

Nudibranch

Visit site
It's worth remembering driving animals usually have the temperament of a saint and take everything in their stride. I have more confidence in my driving pony than my just-backed riding horse when people pass too fast. Which happens a lot more driving than when you're riding! That said, too many drivers treat you like an ordinary vehicle in terms of passing close on single track lanes. They don't always appreciate there's half a ton of living creature with a mind of its own providing the horsepower. It can be a little hairy when they try and squeeze past your carriage with only an inch either side. I guess a few shaft marks down the car might make them think twice next time...not aimed at you OP btw, that's clearly not the case!

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Thanks all! I'd like to say it was just a case of them having grumpy faces but it was both of the people in the trap really glaring at me and turning their heads to keep watching me as I drove by, very odd! I slowed down as I said but equally didn't crawl by, but if it happens again then I think I might try and ask them!
Maybe they were trying to work out if they recognised you :D