How fast do you pass a pony and trap?

cbmcts

Visit site
I'm not too worried about the speed someone passes a driven horse (as long as it's not 50 mph of course) but can I please make a plea that you don't pull back in until you are well past the horse? The amount of times that drivers have pulled back in 3 inches in front of the horses nose...

hellfire

Visit site
I drive past too as I like people to drive past me. There is a man not far from me I see who had a face like a slapped ass and shouts at you waving you on saying get past get past go go go. He’s not happy unless you pass him normally although I’m sure if people do he’d be just as annoyed. Every horse is different and maybe some spook more at a slow moving car than if it’s just acting normal. Who knows!! Don’t worry about it. I got glared at the other day in a village for stopping while a woman was leading a young girl on a pony past! No thanks or anything! Gives all riders a bad name. I’m always so great full and give my thanks in shock when people stop or slow down for me!

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
I'm not too worried about the speed someone passes a driven horse (as long as it's not 50 mph of course) but can I please make a plea that you don't pull back in until you are well past the horse? The amount of times that drivers have pulled back in 3 inches in front of the horses nose...

Yes, I really hate this!

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
My conscience feels a lot clearer after all of these replies, cheers! Maybe I slowed too much and they were cross that I was holding up the traffic behind them, but I guess I'll never know. I did my best to be considerate anyhow and to pass as I would have liked to be passed (although I don't drive a trap and just ride). It's a pity that other horsey road users have given me these feelings though... whilst many car drivers are inconsiderate, I bet a lot of them have been rubbed up the wrong way by people like this and it does the rest of us riders etc. no favours.

scruffyponies

Visit site
So true. I think they get confused about the length of the vehicle, and pull in once they've passed the bit with wheels.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
I hate this too! So many times P has nearly had his nose bashed by cars pulling back in in front of him! Luckily he really does not care about traffic.
An RDA pony I drove was made unsafe in traffic by a wagon doing this. It overtook on a narrow road when another wagon coming towards us had stopped to give us room to pass without going into a hedge.

The overtaking wagon must have only allowed for a coat of paint between the ponies nose and his trailer. Ever after that pony could not cope with traffic coming up behind.

Rosemary28

Visit site
An RDA pony I drove was made unsafe in traffic by a wagon doing this. It overtook on a narrow road when another wagon coming towards us had stopped to give us room to pass without going into a hedge.

The overtaking wagon must have only allowed for a coat of paint between the ponies nose and his trailer. Ever after that pony could not cope with traffic coming up behind.

That's terrible! Some people really have no patience.

Mule

Visit site
The one thing that always occurs to me when I pass travellers on the road is how well behaved their horses are. I've never seen them spook even when idiot drivers overtake too fast. It makes me think that the rest of us (me) should make more of an effort and stop fussing about it.

rabatsa

Confuddled
Visit site
The one thing that always occurs to me when I pass travellers on the road is how well behaved their horses are. I've never seen them spook even when idiot drivers overtake too fast. It makes me think that the rest of us (me) should make more of an effort and stop fussing about it.
Having seen a traveller out with a youngster who had duct tape over his blinkers and round the front so the pony could not see where it was going I would not trust them all not to spook.

scruffyponies

Visit site

i think they just do more road-driving. Pure and simple.
If you want a quiet pony, get one that has been 'on the scrap' in a northern city. I'm not advocating it, as it's hard work for a pony in a difficult environment, but they get used to all sorts, and will stand nicely whilst you throw half a dozen old pans and a radiator on the back.

Leo Walker

Visit site
i think they just do more road-driving. Pure and simple.
If you want a quiet pony, get one that has been 'on the scrap' in a northern city. I'm not advocating it, as it's hard work for a pony in a difficult environment, but they get used to all sorts, and will stand nicely whilst you throw half a dozen old pans and a radiator on the back.

I dont do any more road driving that the people who ride at my yard so I dont know if thats true of all drivers. I did invest a lot of time in having my pony long reined out on the road before she went away to be broken. I also had her dragging all sorts, broken wheel barrows, wheelie bins, anything that made a noise and bounced about went behind her, so they are used to noise and unexpected things happening.

But I suspect its more of a case of the ones who arent good in traffic dont end up driving.

Gloi

Too little time, too much to read.
Visit site
But I suspect its more of a case of the ones who arent good in traffic dont end up driving.

THat's normally the case I think, though I have met some scary exceptions in my time :D (fortunately not mine)
(Anyone who had their wedding in a trap drawn by a certain black Dales pony in the 70s don't realise just how close to disaster they were!)