how heavy is tooo heavy to ride a horse?

Winters100

Visit site
I do get annoyed sometimes when people say how lucky I am to be slim and light, because it’s actually quite soul destroying to do and I’m always hungry. I just wish they knew the internal battle going on when I’m craving something substantial but won’t let myself have it. I imagine a lot of slimmer people do the same as me to stay this way.

I totally get this. I actually hate the run up to Christmas because when I refuse cakes and sweets people either look at me as if I have some sort of problem or say 'but you don't have to worry about your weight'. This is the point, most slim people are that way because they DO worry and deprive themselves. I have to really restrict myself and even think 'do I really need it?' before eating something like a satsuma. That having been said I get a lot of enjoyment from the horses, so it is worth it.

ester

Not slacking multitasking
Visit site
Winters I'm mid diet, about half way through weight wise:p everyone knows I love cake to the point that it has become a bit synonmous with me.
The worst though is when someone has made something, we have a glut of staff birthdays oct/nov and there's not many of us so it really stands out if anyone says now, I've embraced the very small bits of.

ownedbyaconnie

Visit site
As someone who is naturally very petite (although I do eat relatively healthy and suppose between the horse and dog I am quite active!) I try not to comment on weight issues as I feel like I'm not really qualified to have an opinion as I've never had to diet.

BUT.

There is literally nothing worse in my eyes than someone who literally does not fit in the saddle and how they can think it is fair to ride with literally all their weight coming down on the cantle is beyond me. I know a lady from an old yard I was on who has a youngster, she does everything right, regular physio, saddler, teeth etc etc. Yet is way way too big for her saddle?! I just don't get it.

I showed my OH a photo just to see what a complete outsider to horses thought and he was horrified. Even he could see she did not fit the saddle.

HollyWoozle

www.farandride.com
I can guess the account you're talking about as I have seen it too and also find it upsetting to be honest. I am probably more open-minded about the weight-carrying capabilities of horses than most, but that is definitely a step too far for me - in my opinion the rider cannot comfortably fit the saddle and the sports horse does look off to me too. I find it odd that so many people comment on the posts saying how great it all looks... sadly I assume that they champion them because they want to fight against fat-shaming, but at the end of the day there is an animal involved and the rider (who is very competent) should know better.

My partner is a big guy, around 6'4" and 16st 4lbs, without being what I'd consider overweight. He has had some lessons and ridden on a few hacks and I am really happy to encourage him to that on a suitable horse. Personally I believe there are horses who are up to carrying that weight without issue, but the pairing has to be thought of carefully (which my partner appreciates).

Cutgrass

Visit site
The account you must be talking about has just shown up by chance on Instagram. I'm surprised to see a rider who's so obviously too big at shows and nobody having a kindly word from a welfare POV. Saying that, comments look to be limited on most posts so people must have tried.

LegOn

Visit site
Curiosity is getting the better of me, can someone PM me the link please!

I have recently dropped a size from 12 to 10UK and I used to be a 14 aswell at a few points in my life and also beat myself up for being too heavy for my horse, I feel much better now seeing photos of myself on him & I'm sure its a relief to him to not to have to carry or jump with the extra weight. I have seen some VERY overweight riders on much smaller/lighter horses & it does make me feel slightly uncomfortable but I'm nearly sure they would feel the same as me that if they could lose weight for their horse - they would, but as we all know its never just that simple or straightforward but I think we are all only trying to do our best for our horses.

It does always make me feel the same way when I see a horse and rider going around with a badly fitted saddle - even if the horse appears to be going well, it makes me feel slightly uncomfortable about the damage it could be doing. Its up to each individual to do their best by the horse with the budget and resources have but information and education usually costs nothing - so it could be down to educating yourself on best practices... on the internet, its very easy to find opinions that back up how you want to behave, finding facts - takes a bit more soul searching and objective learning.

FourLeafClover

Visit site
I used to know someone who was around the 17stone mark, her pony was retired as was in her mid twenties and the rider was quite vocal about knowing she was too big to ride her, said she needed to lose 5stone before it would be fair etc etc... until one day (no weight lost) she just decided she was getting back on and started hacking, schooling, and even jumping! Poor pony was only about 14hh, had been hacked occasionally by lightweight riders since then but was by no means 'in work'. I'm ashamed to say I kept my mouth shut for various reasons but I do feel bad about it. Thankfully the pony is retired again now as apparently 'started to struggle'. Yeah, no **** :rolleyes:

Auslander

Visit site
I have to really restrict myself and even think 'do I really need it?' before eating something like a satsuma.
Seriously? I can understand not chowing down on 6 mince pies, 24 pigs in blankets, and a bucket of Quality Street - but worrying about eating fruit is a bit batshit!

Sprat

Visit site
Ok my interest has been piqued, can someone pm the link?

I think it's a really tricky subject, and one that has been discussed at great length recently not just on this forum but socials in general.

I have to be honest, I don't generally see a lot of overweight riders and haven't done in a little while. Everyone I ride with keeps themselves fairly fit and slim. I compete BD and can't think of any recent situations when I have seen someone weight wise that makes me feel uncomfortable. My past experience of seeing visibly overweight riders has historically been when watching showing (however, I am not going to tar all who show with the same brush, that would be a vastly sweeping statement). Those riders that I would class as overweight, equally had obese horses...

HeyMich

Visit site
Can I have the link too please?

I'm nearly 6' tall with an overall slim build, but because of my height, I'm over 12 stone. So if you saw me from afar, you wouldn't think I was overweight, but I would like to be lighter for the sake of my horse (16.2hh ISH, so a chunky weight carrier type). I always make sure my weight is in the centre of my saddle etc, but I'm no way good enough to document my riding on a Social media page! Saying that, since lockdown began in March, I've put on over 5kg. Not good. Need to start dieting... once the Xmas glut is over...

hollyandivy123

Visit site
Seriously? I can understand not chowing down on 6 mince pies, 24 pigs in blankets, and a bucket of Quality Street - but worrying about eating fruit is a bit batshit!
i fully accept i have a fruit dependency problem and as a kid had to get rationed, there was the unfortunate incident of the dried apple ring bulk packet....next time i remember to soak them first!
............fruit over chocolate mince pies etc

Littlewills

Visit site
The one being referred to is blog.of.a.cob on Instagram. Its really bothered me and has been playing on my mind. Shes had a saddle fitter out as there's posts about a new saddle and the fitter has been tagged. Ho the fitter didn't say something I dont know. Shes also winning dressage tests with a horse who is lame and struggling. I just dont get it. How has no one said anything and how are so many people enamoured of whats going on??

indie1282

Visit site
The one being referred to is blog.of.a.cob on Instagram. Its really bothered me and has been playing on my mind. Shes had a saddle fitter out as there's posts about a new saddle and the fitter has been tagged. Ho the fitter didn't say something I dont know. Shes also winning dressage tests with a horse who is lame and struggling. I just dont get it. How has no one said anything and how are so many people enamoured of whats going on??

Gosh. I'm sorry but that is really unpleasant reading. She is too big for all of those horses imo and I am saying that as someone who is certainly not a size 10! Her whole way of riding is ' heavy ' and the jumping photos make me cringe and feel sorry for those poor horses.

I think if you want to ride regularly and compete then you owe it to your horse to be in the best condition possible. I am never going to be 9st ( sadly ) but I wouldn't consider even riding competitively if I was over 14 st.

Ernie2001

Visit site
I don’t understand if you have love for the horses why you would want to ride them when you are clearly too big. It’s awful to see and cannot be comfortable for the horse. I understand some people have medical issues which make weight a problem but most of us don’t, therefore we should do the best for our horses and be in a reasonable level of fitness for whatever discipline we are doing. I’d be interested to see that 5 year old horse in a few years time to see if it develops any issues considering some of the bones don’t fuse until around 6 years of age. ?

Reactions: TPO

emilylou

Visit site
I wish people were more black and white about weight and horses, would be great if there was more concrete guidance and weighing before riding was more standard. The subjective nature and opinion basis of what is too heavy means that it is easy for larger riders to justify continuing to ride.
There isn't a standard measure of what is too heavy so if someone wants to do it they can reason it away and the uncomfortableness of telling someone they are too big stops lots of people from stepping in.
If it was more common for people to speak up and tell others they are too large for their mount then it would be a less common problem.
In 'normal' society (not horsey communities) it is socially acceptable to be fat, not acceptable to talk about weight and not acceptable for people to be excluded from things for any reason.
But if you are too heavy to ride you are too heavy to ride and ultimately shouldn't be getting on a horse.
I think most people will know when they are too big and those who continue to ride will be choosing to reason away the facts or live in ignorance and never get on the scales. I think the suggested 16.5 stone plus tack is quite enough for any large horse but I know a few riders who exceed that where the weight has crept on over the years and they are now too large for a horse they used to be light enough to ride but continue to do so.
It would be handy if there was an agreed max weight for riding in general and some stipulation like if you cant do one press up, or one pull up i.e. if you cant lift your own body weight at all, then you shouldn't expect a horse to carry you.

I know there are a lot of reasons people are overweight and its not something to criticize someone for, but once you choose to get on an animal and inflict your weight on it, your size becomes a welfare issue and unfortunately open to judgement on that basis.

Its a hard pill to swallow and a difficult problem to navigate

Splash2310

Visit site
I just dont get it. How has no one said anything and how are so many people enamoured of whats going on??

I completely agree. Unfortunately I think part of it is due to the culture of “hate” and her posting any messages or comments about her weight or the horses on her story and getting followers to gang up/send them nasty messages :confused:

[59668]

Visit site
Anyone classified as obese in my opinion is to fat to be riding horses. Also When people are to big for saddle .

Its not always this simple. While I agree this would work for the vast majority of people, when I was a powerlifter competing at national level I would have been classed as obese from my weight and height. But I clearly wasn't! I was solid and strong and certainly did fit the saddle!

Surbie

Visit site

Oh. That is not comfortable viewing. Poor horses.

smolmaus

Visit site
Its not always this simple. While I agree this would work for the vast majority of people, when I was a powerlifter competing at national level I would have been classed as obese from my weight and height. But I clearly wasn't! I was solid and strong and certainly did fit the saddle!
Fair. Bodyfat weighs less than muscle and bone. Be interesting to know if a tall person the same weight but a different shape would be subject to the same comments.

The saddle fit notwithstanding I suppose. That's the only real issue as far as I can see. A tall, fairly fit man would probably weigh as much as she does.