How hot is hot?

PurBee

Visit site
I prefer summer around 20-25…oh joyous! But in wet west ireland valleys thats rare…it tends to hover around 15-18 with mostly cloud cover.
Last year we had 34 degrees for a mini 3 day heat wave - the rare pure blue sky and full sun - That was faaar too hot! The horses managed better than we did, surprisingly…..probably the arab blood helped ?

ponynutz

Visit site
The UK is a very diffeent kind of 'hot' to most commonly 'hot countries'.

It's more often than not a very sticky, humid hot similar to that at the start of a thunderstorm and so that, and us not being used to the heat, is why we and our horses struggle more once it get above 25C (about 77F).

Abroad in Europe I'll happily sit and go out in 30C and above but could NEVER do that here at home.

teapot

Visit site
Dry heat I love and am quite happy up to about 30. Humidity though, no thanks.

Think it was Covid summer 2020 when not only was it about 30/32, but with high humidity, and I found out that my eyelids could sweat :cool:

GSD Woman

Visit site
Humidity is the worst. On the dry days I can be outside at 90F and be fine with the occasional shade break. Humidity, give me my air conditioning and garden work in the early morning and late evening.

asmp

Visit site
I have just looked at the thermostat in my living room and it says it’s 28.8 which is over 80 f…my cottage was built in 1880 and has thin walls so it’s blooming hot. I dread to think how hot my bedroom is. Somehow it’s easier to cope in the winter, just put more clothes on and move quicker, I find this heat very difficult to deal with and would love air conditioning but it’s too expensive for the odd few very hot days we have..it’s supposed to be a bit cooler tomorrow
Get a ceiling fan installed. Couldn’t live without mine in the summer. Cost about £80 plus £40ish to install and very quiet.

ThreeFurs

Visit site
Equestrian Australia use a Web Bulb Globe Temperature (WBGT) Index to decide when its too hot for a competition. Under 28 on the scale, ok, over, getting dangerous. so, takes into account humidity. Clubs have to cancel if its forecast to be over 35c. South Australia generally has a dry heat. I've competed when its around 30C and its really not fun. At least jackets can be left off. Different if your a professional, and have to qualify a horse or whatever, but I'm not even keen on schooling if its above 27C.

Funny in winter here though which is full on freezing misery, with ice, and v occasional bits of snow, its my Pommie friends who've moved here locally to the Hills horsey areas, which when I'm out picking up feed, with no plans to even do groundwork, they're the ones I see all merrily out riding, training, hacking, as if it was a summer's day.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Get a ceiling fan installed. Couldn’t live without mine in the summer. Cost about £80 plus £40ish to install and very quiet.
thats a good idea if my ceilings were not so low, i would worry i would hit it with my head. i use a freestanding fan in the bedroom that helps, but its still pretty hot :(

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
These are brilliant. I have 2. You can put the filter in the freezer to cool & you add water to a little tank.

https://www.jmldirect.com/at-home/u...-air-personal-space-air-cooler-and-humidifier

They don't have a huge range & are a bit noisy, but I can sleep with mine on, pointing at the bed.

they are quite small, do you use both in your bedroom or is one enough. looks like its small enough to go on my bedside table .. i used to have something that was a similar idea but it was about 3 ft 6ins high and 2ft wide and i didnt think it worked and got rid of it because it was taking up space i didnt really have.

Caol Ila

Visit site
The UK is a very diffeent kind of 'hot' to most commonly 'hot countries'.

It's more often than not a very sticky, humid hot similar to that at the start of a thunderstorm and so that, and us not being used to the heat, is why we and our horses struggle more once it get above 25C (about 77F).

Abroad in Europe I'll happily sit and go out in 30C and above but could NEVER do that here at home.

Not most, surely. Not anywhere close. The East, South, and Midwestern United States? The Carribean? South and Central America? India, Vietnam, Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and the rest of Southeast Asia and Indonesia. West Africa. The northern part of Australia, like Cairns. That's most of the world. It is humid in those places. The air is viscous -- it feels like you are being smothered by wet wool, all the time.

"Oxford [Mississippi] lies drowned in heat, and the feeling around the courthouse square on this Saturday forenoon is of a hot, sweaty langor bordering on desperation. Parked slantwise against the curb, Fords and Chevrolets and pickup trucks bake in merciless sunlight. People in Mississippi have learned to move gradually, almost timidly in this climate... It is a monumental heat, heat so desolate to the body and spirit as to have the quality of a half-remembered bad dream, until one realizes that it has, indeed, been encountered before, in all those novels and stories of Faulkner through which this unholy weather -- and other weather more benign -- moves with almost touchable reality."
-William Styron

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
It's humid AF in many parts of the US and it's hot...and it stays that way for awhile sometimes. It can also get humid here in Germany, but it's not terrible.

The summers here have changed though according to locals that have lived here for over 30 years. It is a less rainy climate in comparison to 10 years ago IMO, but I'd have to look at actual data. That's just how it feels.

Right now it's 90F but humidity is only 30% so it's not bad. I was out vacuuming my car and faffing about with some yard waste and my neighbor commented on it being so hot and how am I so active. I told her I have to get in the mindset that this is mild because when I move to the US it's a lot hotter and more humid...and the winter is a lot colder, and with more ice and snow. German weather is lovely by comparison ?

Next week it'll be back in the 70's, with some rain, and that's really nice weather, IMO. So I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

I was in Nevada a few years back and it was a really dry heat. If was still hot, and it made my hair feel terrible. It was different.

Odyssey

Visit site
I hate extremes of temperature at both ends of the scale. I love spring, the moderate temperature suits me perfectly, and it's such a beautiful season. Around 17-20 is great, over 25 I'm really struggling, and try to stay indoors till the late evening. I get a delightful heat rash on most of me, but thankfully not my face, when I get too hot. If I could afford the heating I'd have it at 17 in the winter, but it's 13-14, which is miserable. I stay in bed for much of the day as it's warm. I find over 18 too hot in other people's houses, and 20 + is unbearable.

I've got M.E. which affects your temperature regulation, but think I've always struggled somewhat with very hot and very cold weather. I'm really not looking forward to the very hot summers that will soon be the norm.

Last edited:

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
Re health conditions and temperature, I am very cold intolerant. My lips actually turn purple/blue and it doesn't even have to be below 0/32F for this. I get some numbness and occasionally uncontrolled shivering. No one has ever been able to diagnose why. My circulation isn't stellar, perhaps.

I'm also allergic to heat though and break out in bumps/hives and itchiness. An antihistamine helps that.

Hot baths when coming in from outdoors and a fireplace are really useful to me in the winter. In the summer a nice cold foot soak can help and feel refreshing.
Stay tuned to see if I survive at my new "exteme" location ?

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
Well what a change here, I’ve just put a jumper on as I was cold.. may be something to do with the raging headache I have got after a very hot , sleepless night..it’s no wonder we talk about the weather here as you can’t predict what it will do..

GSD Woman

Visit site
My great-grandfather had tuberculosis and the treatment was to live in a hot, dry climate. So the family lived in a tent in the desert Southwest. My grandfather had to walk to a spring to get their water. According the family stories it was often 120F/48.88C. No thanks. They must have found shade somewhere. I did not inherit those heat tolerant genes. Right now it is 79F/26.1F. I'm very comfortable. I have a few fans running and will be out in the garden soon. Humidity is 45% and this is a walk in the park compared to a normal day in June.

Keith_Beef

Novice equestrian, accomplished equichetrian
Visit site
This is a bit much for me. 38°C and quite humid.

ETA: I brought the hygrometer down to the garden: 46% humidity. So the rule of thumb °F + %H gives 146... Well over the threshold of 130.

Attachments

• IMG_20220618_171900.jpg
    IMG_20220618_171900.jpg
    303.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
34°C at the yard, but only 24% humidity. I found myself sweating quite easily though ? sat under the ceiling fan and stuck my feet in a cold water soak when I got home and feel good as new.

Horse was a wee bit sweaty under his fly rug, but in the usual place that he would be without one too. I hosed him off then put the rug on after he was mostly dry. I was fretting over leaving him rugged or not, but he's quite insect sensitive and so far I've managed to keep him from rubbing his hair out, for the most part. That and I know how much he hates bugs so best to be a wee bit sweaty for a bit under the fly sheet vs a wee bit sweaty and dealing with bugs and itchiness. He'll be out on the field tonight and there is a very slight breeze. His stable is a wooden shed row so it doesn't stay as cool as the main barn made out of solid cement. He mostly prefers to stand inside though vs his small paddock. I have no plans on riding until Monday anyway because he's just getting over a hoof abscess. For the most part everyone was just hosing down their horses and calling it a day.

Dave's Mam

Visit site
they are quite small, do you use both in your bedroom or is one enough. looks like its small enough to go on my bedside table .. i used to have something that was a similar idea but it was about 3 ft 6ins high and 2ft wide and i didnt think it worked and got rid of it because it was taking up space i didnt really have.

I have one on the chest of drawers at the bottom of the bed & it's aimed at my midriff. Works just fine.
The other lives in the living room.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Well what a change here, I’ve just put a jumper on as I was cold.. may be something to do with the raging headache I have got after a very hot , sleepless night..it’s no wonder we talk about the weather here as you can’t predict what it will do..
yep. dropped 20 degrees overnight basically. the horses were all daft this morning :rolleyes:

HappyHollyDays

Slave to 2 cats and 2 ponies
Visit site
I’ve lived in a few places where the temperatures are now very different to 30 years ago. Central Germany had lovely temperate summers and cold crisp snowy winters when we would ski. Visiting a few years ago the summers were stiflingly hot and they no longer see any snow in winter. Cyprus winters felt chilly after hot summers, a bit like a British Autumn. Friends now say winters are much warmer. Summers on the central plain where I lived regularly got to 30+ in summer but it was a dry heat and we rode every afternoon after 4pm. The weather here isn’t the same, it’s humid, airless and saps my energy. Maybe it’s because I’m not acclimated but today’s rain and cool temperatures have been heaven.

splashgirl45

Lurcher lover
Visit site
These are brilliant. I have 2. You can put the filter in the freezer to cool & you add water to a little tank.

https://www.jmldirect.com/at-home/u...-air-personal-space-air-cooler-and-humidifier

They don't have a huge range & are a bit noisy, but I can sleep with mine on, pointing at the bed.

i am so glad I got one of these on your recommendation. It has been so useful in my bedroom , well worth the money IMO. If I am cool I can sleep so the noise doesn’t bother me, I found it was reasonably quiet on the first setting and did the job. Thanks Dave’s mum?

Dave's Mam

Visit site
i am so glad I got one of these on your recommendation. It has been so useful in my bedroom , well worth the money IMO. If I am cool I can sleep so the noise doesn’t bother me, I found it was reasonably quiet on the first setting and did the job. Thanks Dave’s mum?

You're very welcome.