How hygienic are we all?

Enfys

Visit site
blush.gif
Pretty much. Not because of a germ phobia though, I just HATE having grubby hands.

I wash my hands every time I go in the house, always wear coveralls and take them off in the basement,I get through a dozen pairs of gloves a day because as soon as I come in they go straight in the washing machine, and I'd hate it if I actually sat down in the house stinking of horse.

In my defence, OH has allergies
frown.gif
and dusty, hairy, smelly clothes set him off within minutes.

genie

Visit site
Well I am the same as you enfys.can't stand dirty hands and don't mind the smell of horsey as long as it stays with the horses and not either in my car or even in the house. The land rover is ok cos it has leather seats and can be kept clean but my car has cloth seats so would stink.

All outdoor clothes have to be taken off before coming into the house and boots left in the utility.

Wouldn't dream of being smelly and horsey and going into tesco or anywhere else..I wouldn't want to stand next to some beer swilling oaf in the check out at tesco and smell his breath or sweat so wouldn't impose hosrsey smells on other people.

stencilface

High upon a hillside
Visit site
I did pop to my local shop the other day just for a bottle of wine after finishing the horses, and as I neared the checkout the smell of horse wee wafted past and I was mortified. That and my filthy hands as I handed over the money, I was most embarassed!

Although I did smell better than the man with BO at the Esso checkout
smirk.gif

Charmaine18

Visit site
Oh, I'm a complete minger.
grin.gif
We have bottles of hand sanitiser all over the place at the yard (if a client got e.coli there we would be shut down) but the only time I tend to use it is if I've been picking willy-crust.
blush.gif
We don't have a "drinking water" tap at the yard, just a hosepipe, and you have to walk all the way round to the back of the house to turn the hose on so usually we just fill up the kettle from one of the water butts - the kettle filter is seriously clogged with bits of hay and leaves, but it hasn't killed any of us yet!
tongue.gif
I have always been a really clean person, even as a child I would HAVE to wash my hands if they were the slightest bit grubby, but now I'm so used to the ingrained dirt that my hands would look weird if they were properly clean.
tongue.gif
Earlier on I wiped my nose and thought I had a nose bleed, only to realise that the pink streak across my hand was actually my skin colour where the snot had removed some of the dirt. TMI?
grin.gif

Actually, my most shameful moment was yesterday when my YO/RI/boss ordered me to wash my jods when I got home.
blush.gif
I forgot to put them in the wash last night, so this morning I decided to wear my other pair but realised they were dirty too... I wore them anyway and hoped that she would assume they were clean on.
blush.gif
Working at the yard every day and only having two pairs of jods to rotate is not good...

RobinHood

Visit site
I'm really rather disgusting. I spent my life from the ages of 10 to 18 on a children's yard where there were rat dropping on the work surface, rat foot prints in the butter when it was left without the lid and loaves of bread where the end piece was rat chewed. It never bothered us and I don;t remember anyone being ill from it.

These days I live in a student house where 2 of us have horses and the other one is a boy so it's not exactly sterile. My dog has a raw diet so I'm forever doing the horses, handling raw meat and then eating something
blush.gif
. He drags it all around the kitchen floor, which we walk on in socks or drop food on and then eat...
blush.gif
. I wear horse clothes all day long although this is a very horsey area and no-one in tesco would bat an eyelid.

Every week I go to the abattoir to dissect horse heads so I get covered in blood and who knows what. I do rinse my hands afterwards but the smell takes a long time to go and I keep getting pen and paper out in lectures to find they're covered in horse blood
blush.gif

Luci07

Visit site
I do consider myself reasonably hygenic - I dont really want to waft eau de cheval over other people! There is, however, a seriously marked difference to how I look in "horse" gear and "work" gear. Work is suits and make up. Horsey is well you can guess. I struggle to keep my house clean though - all sofas are covered in a variety of throws, doorways have various "keep the mud" trappers but anyone with horses and 2 energetic dogs will know that keeping a house immaculate is just not going to happen!! thank god for my washing machine which is on most days!

catdragon

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I'm quilty of all the above
blush.gif

but likits taste so yummy!
grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]

Mmmmmm, cherry likits
blush.gif
I kiss my pony too. AND pick her eye bogeys out. I spend the weekends smelling of horse pee, but it could be worse, it could be my own.... And heck, it saves people standing too close in the checkout line at Tesco's... And I don't think they dare ban me in there as if they banned all of us horsey types, they'd have hardly any business...
wink.gif

somethingorother

Visit site
Well i did think i was pretty unhygienic since i eat after poo picking without washing my hands, i do wipe them off on my jods first though.
tongue.gif
And i am actually a bit allergic to horses and hay etc so my snotty nose does get wiped on gloves, hands, sleeves etc a lot :/ I will go into tesco or whatever in stinking horse stuff if i a have to, i'm not going home for a shower and back out again just to get a bit of shopping. And i give about 50 kisses between 5 horses every day lol. Also drink out of hose pipe frequently, never really thought about it being unclean.

But i wouldn't eat anything that has been touched by rats, and i wash my clothes every time i have been to the yard, apart from my coat and scarf which stink my house out. I also would not go into work or anything smelly, or even to a friends who wasn't horsey. I also wouldn't eat food off the floor, even without animal hairs on it.

littlemisslauren

Visit site
I am disgusting....
I am caked in mud from the waist down (its dry now its fine :p), I have poo/mud all over my hoody. If i took my hairband off I could fill a haynet with what would fall out
blush.gif

I dont want to know what is under my nails / all over my hands because I just ate (obv no hand washing
tongue.gif
)
I went to mcdonalds for lunch with a girl from work, we were both disgusting and got some strange looks but I dont care lol.

ooooh I let one of the horses lick my hand clean if that counts?? It was covered in sugarbeet!

God I am minging

pixi

Visit site
yep im another dirty one get filthy down the horses eat with gruby hands roll a ciggy and wipe my hands on my clothes not to botherd as it goes with the ownership im never ill if i get a caught ill have a spoon of the horses cought medecin

Holly831

Visit site
Oh great I can come out of the closet now..
grin.gif
grin.gif
Thought it was just me!!

Have you seen my famous yard coat?? Used to be a motorway maintainance (2nd hand) hi viz one. Now its uniformly mud coloured with the lovely deep pockets full off haylage/shavings/a hoof dressing I took off last night/bailer twine/used tissue (or should I say shreds of tissue..)
tongue.gif

Yep if I am at the stables and OH brings me tea + biccys I dont wash my hands....

Haven't tried lickets yet though
cool.gif

maxapple

Visit site
I do all of the above too - and am hardly ever ill. Touch wood - I don't think I've had a stomach upset for years.

I drop food on the floor all the time and eat it, poo pick with no gloves on and the only hand wash I do is a cursory splash under the hose.

I also have the very bad habit of wiping my runny nose when hacking on my sleeve (EEwww) - and regularly kiss my dogs or let them lick me on my nose.

I've also licked my horse's horselick (after he has had it in his stable for a week!) and I have a lovely habit of swilling a cup out with cold water that has sat in the tea room sink for a week - and making myself a fresh cuppa in it.

I'm horrible !! LOl.

LeneHorse

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Oh, I'm a complete minger.
grin.gif
We have bottles of hand sanitiser all over the place at the yard (if a client got e.coli there we would be shut down) but the only time I tend to use it is if I've been picking willy-crust.

[/ QUOTE ]

willie crust - yuck! So glad I've a mare, though the smell of in season pee does tend to linger on one's clothing somewhat. The people at work must think I'm using TenaLady
smile.gif

brighthair

www.wannabeadressagediva.wordpress.com
I do wash my horsey clothes and coats often but I always forget to wash my hands before eating, I let horses (and the dogs) lick my face and hands. Dad steam cleaned my bathroom to find straw/shavings packed in the hose of the shower - oops!
I used to share food with my horse, he loved apple sauce, and I'd do a spoon for him and a spoon for me - off the same spoon!

_April_

Visit site
LOL I can't believe some of the replies! Grossing me out!
wink.gif
grin.gif

I always, always wash my hands before preparing food and eating.
Would never eat something off the floor.

When I get home from they yard all the horse stuff goes straight in the laundry.

I do have a rug lying in the hallway though which needs to go to the yard tomorrow
grin.gif

Everyone round here goes into the shops with horse gear on so doesn't bother me at all either.

Jericho

Visit site
I was the most horrendous horsey child - I smelt like a muck heap and would have slept in my horsey clothes given the chance but was rarely ill.

Even now I seem to always have my hands covered in muck of some sort and the children are always digging somewhere and still we are all pretty healthy

Just goes to show a little bit of dirt doesnt hurt anyone!

Maisy

Visit site
How can you wash *all* your yard clothes *every* time you go to the yard??!! I just dont have enough clothes to be able to do that!....or certainly no quick enough way to dry them!

I wash my hands when I come into the house, but would eat outside of the house without washing my hands first! I think I am more worried about making the walls of the house dirty!!

I always look like a tramp, and probably smell like one too...I havent yet been asked to leave Tesco, but I am sure there will come a time!!!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
How can you wash *all* your yard clothes *every* time you go to the yard??!! I just dont have enough clothes to be able to do that!....or certainly no quick enough way to dry them!

I wash my hands when I come into the house, but would eat outside of the house without washing my hands first! I think I am more worried about making the walls of the house dirty!!

[/ QUOTE ]

^^this
grin.gif
I am another of those that have done all of the mentioned disgusting things but it hasn't done me any harm for the last 20 years so I'm not going to start worrying now!

That said, I do wash hands when I come in the house - the first thing I do in the evening is draw the curtains and they are white, so they get mucky hand prints all over them otherwise
wink.gif

Slinkyunicorn

www.rutlandhorseextras.co.uk
I wash my 'yard' clothes about once a week /fortnight depending on the weather
smile.gif
- no point in washing the mud off every day when there is going to be more on the next day and the day after and the day after - it so greener to wash them less often!
grin.gif
My standards although low anyway have certainly lowered since living on a farm
smirk.gif
- can spend months wallowing in mud so pointless worrying about it.
smile.gif

Like everyone else on this thread its rare I am ill and when I am it is something I have picked up in work (I work in hospitals
smirk.gif
) and can practically tell you who and where I picked it up.

So in short the clean sterile environment I work in usually makes me ill but the muddy filthy environment I live and 'play' in keeps me well.
grin.gif

Chavhorse

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
-wears the same set of clothes to go and do the horse in everyday for a week-well they're just going to get muddy anyway! :p

[/ QUOTE ]

Me too and I bring said set of clothes into the office in a bag every day to change into. Yesterday I noticed I had hay on the floor of the conference room next to my chair.

I also forget to wash my hands and will often be halfway through cooking dinner before remembering, (OH and Kids are very seldom ill either
grin.gif
).

Only thing OH moans about is when I stand behind horse and pick the bits of dried poo off the inside of his butt cheeks with my finger nails.