How important are knee rolls to you?

Jacksie

Visit site
How much do you rely on your knee rolls when riding. I’m thinking if your horse spooks whilst hacking or doing flat work rather than jumping etc. I’m changing my saddle as wanted one that gives a feeling of a deeper seat and have tried one I like but it’s straighter cut and hasn’t got much in the way of knee rolls. There are knee blocks but I don’t feel as though there much there for me to use!

blitznbobs

Visit site
Knee blocks are love hate. I have ridden lusitano dressage horses without them and that’s fine but sitting to a big trot on a big moving wb I don’t know how people do it tbh… I love a big block…. But some hate them so my advice is try a saddle with and without and see what you like

ycbm

Einstein would be proud of my Insanity...
Visit site
B&B already wrote my answer for me word for word.

I wouldn't want to ride without big blocks.

Flame_

Visit site
100% vital for me. Lots of popular endurance saddles are knee roll free so that ruled them all out. I had a western saddle once that I thought I'd worship. I rode on it twice before finding out that I am definitely knee roll dependent and will never go down that road again.

Time for Tea

Visit site
I love my knee rolls, they add so much to my safety and security. They seem to help my position as well. But I think it’s because I need the security now. I used to be happy on an old thin flat saddle with nothing. It seemed ok underneath for the pony, we never had a problem. It depends on your balance I guess.

Rowreach

👀
Visit site
For me it depends on the horse, and the bigger the shoulder, the less knee block I want. Young horses I like a bigger (not huge) knee block because they often don't have the shoulder there yet.

Generally though I like to be able to move (and I hate a big cantle as well).

Ets I like moveable blocks, whatever the size too.

Last edited:

lynz88

Visit site
For me it very much depends on the saddle. Some saddles I fight the knee block (and same with a thigh block) and others are comfortable. I think it also depends on the size of the block and how I fit (or don't fit) the saddle

Ceifer

Visit site
Hate, hate, hate them. I like to be able to move, and I certainly don't want to brace against the horse’s movement. Having said that, I only ride in historical saddles these days, I'll see if I can find a pic.....
This. 100% for me.
Although I don’t ride in the historical saddles 😂. I’ve really struggled to find a dressage saddle without whacking great knee blocks.

paddy555

Visit site
. None of my saddles have knee rolls and it is over 30 years since I rode in a saddle with a knee roll. OH rides in the same saddles and appears perfectly happy without knee rolls.

Shinx

Visit site
I love them but only if they're in exactly the right place and not too hard. Had a fairfax with the worst knee blocks, I never got over it and got rid of the saddle. But yes to feeling more secure in them when it gets hairy.

millitiger

Visit site
Absolutely hate them.

I like minimal/no knee rolls, definitely none of those awful knee blocks.
I also like an open and flat seat rather than a deep seat.
I tend to only buy older saddles, as new ones just have too many blocks and you feel stuck in them- I feel more secure in a more open saddle and so much nicer for flatwork and feeling the horse.

I am 5'10 though and it is quite normal for taller riders to like more minimal saddles.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Absolutely hate them.

I like minimal/no knee rolls, definitely none of those awful knee blocks.
I also like an open and flat seat rather than a deep seat.
I tend to only buy older saddles, as new ones just have too many blocks and you feel stuck in them- I feel more secure in a more open saddle and so much nicer for flatwork and feeling the horse.

I am 5'10 though and it is quite normal for taller riders to like more minimal saddles.
Yeah, I'm 5'9" and have a stupidly long thigh.

Widgeon

Visit site
Interesting. I'm 5'8" with long thighs and I don't like too much by way of blocks - my current saddle is an old Wintec dressage with pretty skinny movable blocks that I put right up at the top in front of my thighs. I don't know where I'd put knee blocks because I need all the space for my actual knees!

dottylottie

Visit site
show/workers saddles for me, so no knee rolls or blocks. fine in a spooky 14.2 welsh, but not sure id be quite so happy on something bigger🤣

Zoeypxo

Visit site
I have a albion dressage with fairly decent blocks, love it. Hack for miles in it, on a horse that has a very quick 180 degree spin, feel very safe in it