How important are knee rolls to you?

JoA

Visit site
I have an endurance Reactorpanel with knee blocks and a deep seat. I love it. It has moved on from my Egyptian Arab to my new Connie and they both went/go very well in it. I previously rode for years in a VSD free n easy , which I equally loved and my ISH never had an issue with it, after many other saddle issues. It was as it says VSD and with no knee rolls on a sharp, spinning 180 deg in a nano second ISH, riding at times was a challenge, especially hacking at home. I love my knee rolls/ blocks.

Spotherisk

Visit site
I can't - it really, really hurts my hips not being able to move.

I wish I could, I don't have the best seat and tbh anything to help save me would be great but I've been in a lot of pain in any I've tried. (not moveable though so perhaps that's the issue)
This (although I haven’t ridden for a couple of years). My hips hurt, and I need to move about. I loved and still cannot part with my Ideal Grandee - square cantle, small knee roll.

holeymoley

Visit site
For flatwork and hacking, Im not bothered with a knee block, I ride with quite a long leg. Done a bit of xc last year for fun in my vsd saddle. Never again 😅 I need a knee roll for that.

Denali

Visit site
I have discovered that knee rolls are important if you are used to them. If you are not they are kinda awkward and make things worse until you adapt.

I’ve ridden all manner of horses with knee rolls and with the flat “pancake” no frills saddles from decades ago.

Now that my body has started screaming at me that I’m not 20 anymore, I appreciate the knee rolls. Without them it would take a hot minute for me to not lawn dart with some horses.

SheriffTruman

Visit site
as a confirmed lover of knee blocks I am convinced those that don’t love them have never found the right ones… I literally have the same saddle in all the widths as it works for me so well. I personally think their more of a safety device than a air jacket
That is entirely possible. On the other hand, the saddle fits me, and my horse perfectly. I don't feel like I'm missing something, I feel very secure. Maybe also because I have never ridden with knee-blocks before. In the past as a RS rider, and sharer, I had to do with whatever saddle was on the horse - GP, Jumping, threeless, western, bareback pad... The El Campo is a world of luxury for me!

05jackd

Visit site
I have a horse that is 95% fine and 5% demon. She can do a 180 degree spook with no warning and my big knee rolls have saved me more times that I care to count. I can't imagine live without them!

Elno

Visit site
I have a horse that is 95% fine and 5% demon. She can do a 180 degree spook with no warning and my big knee rolls have saved me more times that I care to count. I can't imagine live without them!

This. Mine also likes to, when feeling extra naughty, to throw in a buck for good measure🥲 My dressage saddle with HUMONGOUS blocks a lá elefant ears has saved my bacon numerous times. It stops me exiting through the front and side windows.

sbloom

www.stephaniebloomsaddlefitter.co.uk
Deep seats and big blocks can actually make things worse in some cases, you just don't have the compression space to get down into the saddle unless you're bang in the middle of it and can be more likely to be above the saddle and pinged out of it if you kind of ricochet off the pointy bits!

Honestly, the vast majority of riders, once in the right shaped seat etc, realise they absolutely don't need the blocks. It could be argued that the leverage from a high cantle, especially if you end up shoved onto it, can make them more likely to buck. Just food for thought.

MiJodsR2BlinkinTite

Slopping along on a loose rein somewhere in Devon
Visit site
I've always been a "have to have knee rolls or I'll die" type of rider.

Then I discovered the TCS (Total Contact Saddle). You just don't have anything at all on the TCS!!

For the first time in my life I've been riding without knee-rolls. And you know what? Have been way more comfortable, especially on my wide little 13.2 - have always struggled with lower back pain & hips discomfort - but now I can ride way more easily! Without pain. It's fantastic.

Tarragon

Visit site
I ride with minimal rolls (Strada saddle) or no rolls (Barefoot Cayenne) and am mostly fine. I must admit that when I backed my latest pony, I started with the Barefoot Cayenne, and was happy to move to the Strada when we left the really noddy stage, as I felt it gave me a little bit more security!
I imagine that a saddle that fits your legs really well for the type of riding you do (jumping or dressage for example), so rolls are moulded around you rather than you trying to fit in around them, would also be ok, but that level of saddle fitting might be beyond the average sort of rider!

NinjaPony

Visit site
I prefer thigh blocks to knee blocks because I ride long and I have long legs. I try and only ride in dressage saddles so a saddle that supports my leg to hang in the correct place is very useful. I’m trying to ride in a more classically correct position and when I eventually get a horse/saddle again I want to be very picky to get a saddle that supports that as much as possible.

ILuvCowparsely

Visit site
How much do you rely on your knee rolls when riding. I’m thinking if your horse spooks whilst hacking or doing flat work rather than jumping etc. I’m changing my saddle as wanted one that gives a feeling of a deeper seat and have tried one I like but it’s straighter cut and hasn’t got much in the way of knee rolls. There are knee blocks but I don’t feel as though there much there for me to use!
I love my knee rolls, they are very important to me for riding no blocks soft and squidgy.

Jacksie

Visit site
In the end I decided to swap to the straighter cut saddle. My legs were in a better position and there’s more width over the seat bone area. I’ve had less hip pain since riding in it and feel as though I have a more secure seat whilst it doesn’t actually look any deeper. I think I’d still prefer a bit more of a squishy knee roll area but am happy enough with the other benefits so far and my horse seems to like it too.