How important is hacking as part of training/ fittening

Firewell

Visit site
Yes! It is like that here... you either have up to 5/10 acres at best around town or you have a 2,000 acre cattle ranch in the middle of nowhere! Land is really expensive near the nice towns and cities.
We are lucky that we do have access to some amazing riding with a 20 min trailer ride but with two young kids I can never get out really. I went a couple of months ago and had a lovely ride up some Sandy hilly paths and there is a big ranch near me that hires out hacking so to speak for $20 so I want to try and get there at some point.
I hired a quarter horse and went on a group ride, galloping up steep mountain paths but there was a sheer drop to one side, I would never take my TB up those sorts of paths, you need a horse with special training.
Tbh it is nice never worrying or feeling nervous about the cars and slipping over on the road or crazy dogs or cyclists.
I haven't seen any arena sour horses at the barns I have been at either... they do a lot of different activities in the arena. My horse is cheerful as anything. I lunge or school or jump or poles or loose school. I ride him on the tracks around the stables and fields, I ride him in the different paddocks, I even lunge him in his field (we have grass where we keep him which is rare). I use the round pen, sometimes I ride in the round pen.

Everywhere in the world roads even the quiet country lanes are becoming so dangerous, times are changing.

I will say though that the events in So Cal are on groomed tracks... the ground is so dry and hard here they prepare it so it is all mulchy. Or they are on sand if the facility is lucky enough to have sand. We don't stud here. No one studs. So the surfaces in general are different. With the mud and rain and grass you get in England, you probably wouldn't want to event an arena ridden horse. But then again if you hired out grass gallops or schooled in the field (I do that a lot here) and went out XC schooling I don't see how that could not work? You don't have to take your life into your own hands hacking down a slippery road on that black tarmac England has. Maybe look into hiring out gallops or boxing somewhere where you can hack out safely.

I dunno... it's different cultures but I think it's important to strike a safe balance with risk vs reward!

Embo

Visit site
Urgh, I hate hacking for all the reasons stated in the OP! My horse is good with a brave rider on board, sadly I still battle with my confidence in some situations. He loves his hacking, though, and obviously it has many benefits for them in terms of fitness etc.

My solution is to pay someone else to do it! Not an option for everyone, but B still gets his weekly hacks with a very brave rider so I know he's getting a good experience each time.

I'm another who is confined to the school in winter Mon-Fri so these hacks are even more important for B then. Meantime, I can work on my own fitness on the days he's been ridden & go for a run etc.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Urgh, I hate hacking for all the reasons stated in the OP!.

Glad it's not just me!
Lots of good ideas, good advice - thanks.

I won't pay an instructor to ride with or for me because my costs are ludicrous as it is and my OH would divorce me! ("So we pay out double our mortgage every month so you can have a horse - and someone else is riding her now?? And WE are paying HER?!) He is not horsey, it would make no sense to him!!

I could go on pleasure rides, join groups etc, go hunting etc. I think the problem is that most options like that are very time consuming and I need to be able to hop on and go for an hour not be out all day. So really the only solution is to pull myself together and get on with it.

Pleased to say I met a friend and rode out today (in strong wind). Amber appears to be a great hacking horse. Did a lot of trotting and some cantering today and she was fine in front or behind. Willing without being strong and not at all spooky. Ignored dogs, cows, flappy black plastic on stacks of haylage bales, cars, bikes and tractors. Stood still in the lane for tacking up and mounting. Seemed really relaxed and happy. So that's reassuring.

I have only been riding her since April (she was bought from the field in January) and then we just did lots of camps, clinics etc so she was out and about a lot with a varied routine. But the XC courses have closed or are closing, there are no more camps and anyway I am end-of-season skint. So I am now going to focus on some winter miles near home and get her fit for next year.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Woohoo first solo hack on Amber. Very pleased with myself. I tried to find company and nearly talked myself out of it 100 times. But in the end just got on and got on with it! Even braved a little canter on a grass verge.

Fair do's!

If someone's around at the yard, I'll try on Tuesday.

Well????

AandK

Visit site
I used to find hacking boring, and only did it for fitness (canter once a week) years ago. However, these days I do more hacking than schooling, and for eventing, I found this has helped my horse. I guess I am incredibly lucky as I am at a yard on the South Downs, and also my road routes are through a village that seems to have considerate drivers in it. But my horse is now more sure footed, and better in the grass dressage and SJ arenas than he ever was back when I schooled more than hacked. I make sure I keep both our minds active out hacking, lateral work when possible and make use of hills for trot/canter. It is also useful for thinking about straightness, of both horse and rider!
OP, glad to hear you are getting out and about now, hopefully you'll gain more confidence the more you do it!

Follysmum

Visit site
IMO hacking is the basis or fittening for any discipline. A lady I know hunts and she is always saying to me that she hates hacking and finds it pointless. She then wonders why her is horse is never fit enough for the job.

Mrs B

Visit site
Woohoo first solo hack on Amber. Very pleased with myself. I tried to find company and nearly talked myself out of it 100 times. But in the end just got on and got on with it! Even braved a little canter on a grass verge.

Well????

Good news! :)

I did. No one at the yard that day (I haven't a clue about distances or placing poles) so I went hacking where I knew there were fallen logs in the forest and popped him over 3. Not big, not fast but ... I guess it's a start.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Good news! :)

I did. No one at the yard that day (I haven't a clue about distances or placing poles) so I went hacking where I knew there were fallen logs in the forest and popped him over 3. Not big, not fast but ... I guess it's a start.

Fantastic!! Definitely a start.

I went out today again and even quite enjoyed it!! Did trailer out to a traffic free trail though. Next big hurdle is riding on the roads solo..... Will go with others a few more times first.

JustMe22

Visit site
I hate hacking. Hate it, hate it, hate it. However, I'm at an eventing yard who have an obsession with hacking so I do end up going once or twice a week. My slightly mad thoroughbred gets completely wound up if we go any faster than a walk and I don't know...I'm fine with him being far naughtier in an arena but I really don't enjoy hacking out on a tense horse.

I'm in South Africa and hacking is fairly uncommon I would say - and we certainly do not ever hack on actual roads. Luckily, the country does have a lot of space and bushveld, so in my area there is plenty of good hacking. We also happen to be right next door (well, within hacking distance!) of a big XC venue where we can hack and school, as well as a huge area that the hunt goes through, so plenty of opportunities to go for a long canter if you want. Our main path is within a secure equestrian estate with bridlepaths so I do take some comfort in knowing that the horse can't actually run away and be lost forever - but we hack past a lot of dogs racing at fences, as well as ostriches, construction work, a field of sheep and buck, miniature ponies, a school with a very loud playground and kids throwing balls and running, playing on swings etc. It's never a quiet, calm hack - so plenty of opportunities for horses to spook and get wound up.

Despite that, most riders stick to the arena for the most part. This is especially true when you get a bit further out of horse country. We still manage to get our horses fit. Having said that, our arenas are generally bigger and we often have a choice of two or three so don't need to bother people having a quiet dressage lesson if you want to do canter work and jump.

Sandstone1

Visit site
My issue is having a young horse who needs to get used to traffic. Problem is a lot of the roads near me are very busy so it's not really safe.
Do have a couple of tracks that are quiet but it's being stuck between very quiet or very busy.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Well I hacked out again today. Keeping my hacking streak going.... And to my surprise I am beginning to (slightly) feel the hacking love. Sort of. It helps that Amber is proving herself to be a fantastic hacking horse. Forward but sane and does not spook at anything. Had some nice canters, some nice long trot sections. The sun was out, we did not meet a single vehicle or bike. Happy days!

rachk89

Visit site
I don't do any hacking with my horse because he is a prat to hack. Doesn't matter if he has friends, one horse, a large group etc he flips out as soon as he can no longer see home. He gets gradually more tense, then the bouncing starts and if that doesn't get anywhere the spinning and full on rearing starts. He does this in hand as well.

So I don't bother anymore. I think we are going to try again in the new year teaching him but I honestly don't think we'll get anywhere. I use the arenas, the fields in summer and ride around the yard if I don't want to school. He's just not safe to take off the yard, he panics too much.

claracanter

Visit site
I've read the whole thread and it's great to see your progress OP. Hacking can be fun, can't it?

I always think I like competing and then when I think of the best times I've ever had on my horses, it is usually a gallop across a stubble field.

Just to add a funny hacking incident, my TB was being a prat out hacking last week, bucking ,squealing and refusing to move forward. A couple of cyclists asked if they could come passed and I said " Just wait a minute please, I'm having a few issues.' They waited patiently and I could hear their oohs and aah as my horse put on his parts. He is particularly skilled at handstands if he's in one of those moods! When he had calmed down, I waved the cyclists passed and the one at the back said' Yes, I get issues with my bike sometimes!'

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
I haven't hacked out in over 20 years, the roads are far too dangerous, drivers have no clue whatsoever how to pass a horse and I just don't see the point (we don't event or hunt, the horses don't need that sort of fitness). In this day and age there is no need for horses to be on roads and it certainly is not safe.

Antw23uk

Visit site
In this day and age there is no need for horses to be on roads and it certainly is not safe.

Hahaaa no need? How are we supposed to get to our hacking routes if we dont have transport and/ or go on roads?

OP I've read this whole thread and its great you are getting out and about. I LOVE hacking and also want to event next year so for me its all about hacking to get them fit. I have no arena at home and just shy of 3 acres so no long off road farm rides for me. Keep plugging away, deck yourself out in high viz and just choose quieter times of the day. I say I love hacking but I have about 100 yards of road to do before Im 'off road' and its on a bend .. I hate it with a passion, I dont think about it or dwell on it, I just do it because it needs to be done, simple. Well done :)

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
I have not yet braved roads alone but my off road hacks feel ok now. Out again on Friday. It's great for fitness but actually I think it is just as important for her mentally. We're getting there! I've now started worrying about the fact that the ponies never hack.... If I am nervous about myself hacking I am REALLY REALLY nervous about my daughters doing it. Eeek. But they are with pony club and do get out and about quite a bit. So that will just have to do for now.....

{97702}

Visit site
This thread has made me LOL - I too am on a rather successful eventing yard who are - as JustMe phrased it - "obsessed" with hacking :) So are the local Olympic dressage yard who hack their horses at least once or twice a week :)

It gives horses variety, interest, exposure to new things and nice straight training, let alone fitness - I think it is essential TBH?

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Lévrier;13670574 said:
This thread has made me LOL - I too am on a rather successful eventing yard who are - as JustMe phrased it - "obsessed" with hacking :) So are the local Olympic dressage yard who hack their horses at least once or twice a week :)

It gives horses variety, interest, exposure to new things and nice straight training, let alone fitness - I think it is essential TBH?

Essential? Nope. Pleasant? Yes, if that's what you and your horse enjoy.

Cortez

Tough but Fair
Visit site
Lévrier;13670829 said:
As ever we will agree to differ then Cortez

Well, exactly! That is kinda the point isn't it? Nothing is compulsory and just because "everyone" does something doesn't make it so.

ihatework

Visit site
I'm in the 'preferable' camp.
In the proviso the horse is reasonably safe to hack and there is access to quiet roads or off road hacking then I do think it is beneficial to incorporate hacking into any horses work plan.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
3 hour hack today woohoo!! I hated the first hour but then I began to relax and enjoy myself. Lots of roadwork and Amber didn't put a foot wrong. Love my lovely horse.

Mike007

Visit site
My concern about not hacking is damage to the legs . School surfaces can be very variable and any surface which holds the hoof during a turn puts strain on the joints.(this is why you should never put rubber mats on a horse walker surface ). The level of road work most horses ever get now days is not going to harm them ,far from it in fact.

criso

Coming over here & taking your jobs since 1900
Visit site
I think also it depends on what your discipline is. If you are a dressage competitor while there are benefits to go out if you have access to suitable hacking, it is a nice to have. If you are eventing or doing endurance where as part of your discipline, you expect you horse to be able to travel and function at peak over a variety of surfaces, terrain and hills as part of their event, then work outside the arena is key.

Unless you own or are liveried on a huge estate which gives you everything you need, then you will need to hack out to get this.

Ambers Echo

Still wittering on
Visit site
Resurrecting this thread although my first post seems to have vanished into the ether? But anyway The Beast from The East putting hacking on hold for months then the eventing season started and hacking stopped! And I am back where I started, dreading hacking and hating every minute of it....

I actually came back to this thread to ask about the likelihood of finding a sharer who just wants to hack once or twice a week. I don't want anyone schooling or jumping Amber but more than happy for someone to hack her. But I re-read the thread and am reassured to read that I actually quite enjoyed hacks after forcing myself to get on with it. So here we go again: winter challenge is to hack at least once a week! Wish me luck.

Mrs B how is the jumping going??

tda

Visit site
I just read this thread , you really were enjoying the hacking Ambers Echo, and the horse sounded perfect at it too 😁
Is it worth trying some NLP or something?