How is everyone coping with the weather

bouncing_ball

Visit site
Issue is mainly that I have had her 9 weeks, we don't know each other very well and the earliest I can get up the yard atm is 7pm at night. By then, the yard is shut up, horses asleep and I am turning on the lights, dragging her out of her stable into cold and wind and she is not liking it. Need the summer to get to know her and trust her before I do that in the winter.
Ah that makes sense. Hopefully you can make the most of weekends (Ciara/ Dennis aside).

I have taken mid week Wednesday afternoons off work to ride in daylight. A few half days until days lengthen might help.

tallyho!

Following a strict mediterranean diet...
Visit site
Gave up riding well before xmas. I've even thought about giving up. It's been horrendously wet, 3 horses have got something the matter.

Depressing.

So in a word, not really coping all that well.

tristar

Visit site
Gave up riding well before xmas. I've even thought about giving up. It's been horrendously wet, 3 horses have got something the matter.

Depressing.

So in a word, not really coping all that well.

tough, hope things improve soon with the longer days, i always find mid feb to april is hard going

CanteringCarrot

Visit site
I feel incredibly lucky to have a large well maintained indoor school. We've been able to ride outdoors here and there, but its mostly been flooded. I am going to attempt a hack tomorrow. There should be no rain/wind until Sunday/Monday here.

If I didn't have a place indoors, I think I'd be a bit saddened and my horse a bit fat, to be honest. Hard enough to keep weight off of him at times. It would also be a detriment to our competition season. There are a few people that have designed really nice outdoors that drain surprisingly well, they manage somewhat. Livery is also less expensive here in Germany, so that has helped me out a lot!

The only real bummer is the lack of turnout and small paddock my horse is confined to. He goes in the walker in the mornings and is ridden by me in the afternoon, but it is not the same as being on a field! But the days are getting longer and hopefully dryer times ahead!

Finlib

Visit site
Battening down the hatches again for the next battering!
have abandoned doing any thing with the horses just looking after their needs.Two have had slight dry coughs due to staying in the pole barn all the time and only going out for sessions to eat the grass .no temperature no nasal discharge so soaking all the hay as it is put in the pole barn morning and evening for all 3 .Hard work but coughs have gone.Will carry on soaking until the weather improves
They are out on 4 acres of foggage 24/7 so no mud as really well drained Sandy soil.two more fields rested and ready to go one for summer grazing and one for a cut of hay.The fields are open to hard standing and massive pole barn bedded down with shavings but they are choosing to stay in the barn eating soaked hay and only going out in dry spells to eat the foggage.
Will be glad to see the back of this winter Though really well off management wise than many people.

holeymoley

Visit site
Horse is fine having a few duvet days, however I'm getting a bit fed up! Seems to hit on my days off so can't get any hacking/exercising in.

Chappie

Visit site
When I was 12 my pony owning schoolfriend warned me February was always dire.
This is my 5th winter with my loan horse and 11th helping out at a riding school and livery yard. So was there in 2009/2010 winters and beast of the east. Very challenging this winter. I'd still rather have this than deep snow and thick ice though.
We had it ok here till January. Then it's either so icy we can only leave the property to hack by crossing a ploughed field and can only do a short road hack turning back after 40mins. Or the winds are so high (40mph + gusts) thats its unsafe and stressful if we do go out.
It rained so heavily the already limited turnout has been mostly closed for weeks apart from sometimes they get out for one day a week for a few hours if conditions allow. It'a large mixed herd turnout which is not ideal for safety but when there's good grass it works. I worry so much as my loan is getting older and needs ideally daily turnout and gentle exercise and his stable is not really a good size for him. There is literally nowhere else to move him to though and his (non-horsey) owner doesn't want him moved in any case.
Fortunately we have an outdoor floodlit school but the lights have to be off by 7pm due to planning permission and I can only get to the yard by 630pm. It's closed up so have to unlock and get lights on and tack up etc so lucky if I can grab 10mins a day. So pressured rushing about. I have a demanding job so it's more time stress! I walk about the property with a headtorch to hand graze verges and leg stretch. Which can be spooky so not that safe.
On Wednesday conditions were not too bad so put my loan and his friend in the trash paddock in the pitch dark for an hour, they wandered about then stood at the gate wondering what I was playing at.
Most of the liveries are children so some ride after school in the school and they tend to get their ponies out a lot in holidays. I save annual leave so I can take a few days here and there to get my boy out - have taken this weekend off but the forecast is worse here than it was for Ciara and I can't change the days booked off.
I hacked in company last Sunday morning in approx 42+mph gusts just because I had to and quite frankly it was a scary experience, neither me or my boy enjoyed it in the slightest. Theres a window of an hour tomorrow morning but that's it for this weekend. Also we've been plaugued by anti social behavior from scrambler bike riders who appear on our hacking routes at midday ?
I always wanted to be involved with horses from a young age and only relatively recently got the chance and often think when I'm stressed there's so many people who'd love the opportunity I have, but it's not easy, I'm trying to do my best for the horses.
I'd never leave my loan as his life is so much better since I took him on but by jove it's challenging at times! On the plus side I am able to hack out alone again after overcoming severe napping last year, so just trying to struggle on through till spring and better times.

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
I always wanted to be involved with horses from a young age and only relatively recently got the chance and often think when I'm stressed there's so many people who'd love the opportunity I have, but it's not easy, I'm trying to do my best for the horses.
yes I had to give myself a reality check the other day, I was feeling stressed out and overwhelmed between life stuff and the weather and lack of time etc. My 9 year old self who was still a year off getting her own pony would have been so thrilled to have 5 horses and be expecting a homebred foal, SHE would not be moaning about how difficult it all was.

It doesn't make it any easier but it helped me to remember that I was living my own dream, in between the flipping storms :oops: it helps to have a good whinge now and then but I needed that kick up the bum really :p

Meredith

riding reluctantly into the sunset
the sat-nav is wrong, go farther up the hill
Visit site
I would have coped reasonably well because it is always wet, windy and horrid at some time during the winter here.
However just as the rain and storms arrive they coincide with four things.

My horse’s feed needed to be changed.
I need to start mixing in new hay as the previous delivery is nearly finished.
The electric fence needs moving to open up more foggage.
I have had the most horrid cough, cold and tiredness.

I have not had the energy to fight the weather and move the electric fence.
My horse has not been ridden for over 2 weeks and there is no sign of when I could ride again.
When I do ride again I have no idea if the layoff coupled with a change of diet will affect her ‘personality’!

I have decided that when I feel better I will take her to my instructor for initial riding and lessons for me to see how (un) fit I am and how energetic my horse is.

Looking forward to days when I don’t need dry clothes after every stable visit, having to pack everything away every day to stop it being blown about and not falling flat on my face when my wellies are stuck in the mud.

As an aside, I begrudge every day I don’t ride because the older you become the more you can see the time when there will be no more horses, let alone riding.

Meredith

Visit site
Re the post above...
I have just looked out of the window and my mare is grazing in the ‘summer’ field. I had left the gate open when I opened the foggage but she has not been back there since. Hurray it means she can graze that area which has grown a little until I am better and then can move the fence and close the gate.

TheSpottyCobby

Visit site
Struggling. Really struggling now. Our turnout is pretty much all underwater, we've got wetland/marshland bits in it and it has pretty much taken over the 200 acres. The river has flooded more times than I care to count. Pony has sore feet due to all the wet but I have to limit his staying in due to his newly diagnosed PSSM (what a winter to discover it!). He has to have daily exercise and I am struggling massively to find any enjoyment in it. The outdoor school is like Southend Sea Front when the tide is coming in and whilst the indoor school is a saviour, but often used as barn style stabling for the oldies who live out at the moment so can't get in there. Hacking is just a slog through mud and standing water. Rugging is a nightmare. I have really had enough and feel like an awful pony mum.

Chappie

Visit site
I would have coped reasonably well because it is always wet, windy and horrid at some time during the winter here.
However just as the rain and storms arrive they coincide with four things.

My horse’s feed needed to be changed.
I need to start mixing in new hay as the previous delivery is nearly finished.
The electric fence needs moving to open up more foggage.
I have had the most horrid cough, cold and tiredness.

I have not had the energy to fight the weather and move the electric fence.
My horse has not been ridden for over 2 weeks and there is no sign of when I could ride again.
When I do ride again I have no idea if the layoff coupled with a change of diet will affect her ‘personality’!

I have decided that when I feel better I will take her to my instructor for initial riding and lessons for me to see how (un) fit I am and how energetic my horse is.

Looking forward to days when I don’t need dry clothes after every stable visit, having to pack everything away every day to stop it being blown about and not falling flat on my face when my wellies are stuck in the mud.

As an aside, I begrudge every day I don’t ride because the older you become the more you can see the time when there will be no more horses, let alone riding.

May I recommend hot toddies for that cold ? I have just finished one aided by Brudar, a honey whisky, very warming.

I know what you mean about the days you can't ride.

I was online and came across a motivational speaker (not knowing much on the subject) by the name of Les Brown and he is keeping me going through some tough times lately! He's got a cheering laugh!

Meredith

Visit site
May I recommend hot toddies for that cold ? I have just finished one aided by Brudar, a honey whisky, very warming.

I know what you mean about the days you can't ride.

I was online and came across a motivational speaker (not knowing much on the subject) by the name of Les Brown and he is keeping me going through some tough times lately! He's got a cheering laugh!

Thankyou for the suggestion. Unfortunately I am not a whisky lover and I had run out of sloe gin so I have been consoling myself hot honey and lemon. A disappointing substitute but it is what the doctor advised.
Off to google Les Brown

Meredith

Visit site
Struggling. Really struggling now. Our turnout is pretty much all underwater, we've got wetland/marshland bits in it and it has pretty much taken over the 200 acres. The river has flooded more times than I care to count. Pony has sore feet due to all the wet but I have to limit his staying in due to his newly diagnosed PSSM (what a winter to discover it!). He has to have daily exercise and I am struggling massively to find any enjoyment in it. The outdoor school is like Southend Sea Front when the tide is coming in and whilst the indoor school is a saviour, but often used as barn style stabling for the oldies who live out at the moment so can't get in there. Hacking is just a slog through mud and standing water. Rugging is a nightmare. I have really had enough and feel like an awful pony mum.

Southend sea front? Where are you TheSpottyCobby?
I went to school in S on S.

Meredith

Visit site
Depending on who you talk to, I'm in East London/Essex (I usually say Essex due to postcode). We are based in Romford, so Southend was usually the 'beach' of choice in my youth!

Family originate in Barking, brought up a bit closer to London than Southend,
I have a cousin in Romford whose daughter is ‘ horsey’.
I live near the Welsh border now.