How is everyone coping with the weather

rainni_day

Visit site
Stropping - having big childish strops I find helps. I am on full livery but have managed to ride once in the last 2 weeks due to weather, and am currently paying a lot of money for my mare to be exercised by the yard. And now I have seen this weekends forecast and need to have a further strop.

Ranyhyn

Visit site
Stropping - having big childish strops I find helps. I am on full livery but have managed to ride once in the last 2 weeks due to weather, and am currently paying a lot of money for my mare to be exercised by the yard. And now I have seen this weekends forecast and need to have a further strop.
You cant strop being on full livery you naughty thing

vmac66

Visit site
Field is a big brown muddy patch with the odd bit of green, although there must be grass coming through as horses were head down straight away after turnout this morning. Think I'll be keeping in this weekend if forecast is right. Heavy rain and gale force winds both days, again

rara007

Visit site
I think it’s the wettest it’s been despite all the ditches being dug out this summer. The oldies are on long scraggly grass but it’s sodden so they come in to dry out and get fed during the day. The in work ones have been staying in this week- their field is muddy up to their knees for a good radius around the gate and it’s just not safe.

fed up! Entered my first few ‘summer’ shows to try to boost my spirits!

bouncing_ball

Visit site
I can when I am paying a fortune to not see my horse or ride! x

Why cant you ride? What is the issue? Why do you need to pay yard to exercise your horse? I have managed to ride or exercise everyday in last month. I'd not work in winds over 40 miles an hour. Or in unsafe ice. Anything else is manageable.

Pearlsasinger

Up in the clouds
Visit site
TBH, I am reveling in the fact that for the first time this week, I was able to put them out before I went to work and leave them in the field, which meant that i didn't need to spend my lunchtime dashing about to give them more hay inside. The field is wet and muddy but I am refusing to put them anywhere else because they will trash that in 24 hours. They do come in overnight in winter and it looks as if they may be staying in tomorrow but fortunately sister will be at home to sort them out.

We have just had a bit of drizzle in between some quite bright breaks for sunshine.

rainni_day

Visit site
Why cant you ride? What is the issue? Why do you need to pay yard to exercise your horse? I have managed to ride or exercise everyday in last month. I'd not work in winds over 40 miles an hour. Or in unsafe ice. Anything else is manageable.
Issue is mainly that I have had her 9 weeks, we don't know each other very well and the earliest I can get up the yard atm is 7pm at night. By then, the yard is shut up, horses asleep and I am turning on the lights, dragging her out of her stable into cold and wind and she is not liking it. Need the summer to get to know her and trust her before I do that in the winter.

oldie48

Visit site
It is pretty miserable but I am managing to keep Rose going. My main issue is that i have to wear wellingtons to do most jobs and also to walk the dog and my knees are protesting. I stupidly went a little way into our muck heap to fetch the naughty dog who was looking for hoof parings and disappeared nearly up to my knees as it's almost liquid in places Stupid dog almost disappeared at one point, I was just a little bit cross!

eggs

Visit site
Field had been drying up nicely but now is very soggy again. Six horses out during the day on 6 acres. Gateway is very muddy but not deep. Blooming horses though won't stand in the mud at coming in time so they stand on the edge of it which then makes a muddy area so they are slowly working their way down the field with an every increasing area of mud. On the plus side though the grass has been growing in the summer fields.

It has definitely been very wet this year but horses have gone out every day.

Fortunately I have an indoor school so have been able to keep riding.

I will be glad when this weekend is over as the forecast does seem to be improving from Monday.

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Absolutely fed up.
I've got stables in my field and that field is a disgusting bog :(
Luckily I've got another field with loads of grass which is on a slope, only problem is I have to traipse through the bog to get there. If we'd get some decent weather they could just stay out and be mud free
hmmm not enjoying this winter!

Bellaboo18

Visit site
Right now, very very despondent. I normally dressage and right now I simply can't imagine competing again. We've regressed so far now that I honestly can't see a way forward right now. Very very fed up and wish the bloody weather would give us a break. (please no comments about Australia - my heart breaks for them and I'm fully aware how lucky we really are)
I feel similar. I'm normally pretty optimistic but this winter has got me. All goals have gone out of the window and we're just surviving. Sending you a hug xx

Leo Walker

Visit site
The field had held up ok until this week and now its pretty much wrecked. The baby highland is still out as hes in a different much bigger field, but Bobbies had to stay in today and will probably be in this weekend if the predicted storm hits. BH will be out so long as its safe for him to be out.

I'm trying to get Bobbie fit and not managing much other than school work. Shes radiantly happy though and loving work, so I'm just getting on with it! The school has a huge lake covering most of one end now so we spent this afternoon charging through the water trying to make as big a splash as possible which she thought was great fun! I really need some semi decent weather to get her out to do some road work though!

doodle

Visit site
Field was drying out and grass coming through. It is now terrible. They had been in for 2 days total till Saturday then spent 3 days in. Robins legs swelling. Out yesterday and managed to hack but hacking fields sodden too so just walking. Not a great day today but they were turfed out anyway as it looks awful next few days. They were desperate to get in yesterday and today.

w1bbler

Visit site
Weather + broken horse, seriously close to giving up horses. I've had a run of bad luck & with this weather I'm no longer sure I enjoy riding anymore.
I'm waiting til spring to decided, but dont think I can do another winter

southerncomfort

Visit site
I've reached that point in the winter where I start seriously thinking about giving up horses entirely.

We've had snow here which finally started thawing today and their is currently a river running through 3 of my paddocks. The land is absolutely sodden.

I've torn a calf muscle and really shouldn't be wading through mud, not to mention its b****y agony!

With Dennis on the way, this will be another weekend the girls will be stuck inside.

Please let this be the last winter storm!

saddlesore

Visit site
Despite the weather our fields are holding up remarkably well. The arena and the off road hacking are another matter though! ?

Attachments

• F4A3BF9C-199B-4BA0-84D8-5B52B60F08CD.jpeg
    F4A3BF9C-199B-4BA0-84D8-5B52B60F08CD.jpeg
    451.3 KB · Views: 17

HashRouge

Visit site
I got woken up by torrential rain and high winds last night and felt very sad for my ponies stuck out in it. I'd have brought them in, but a tree came down on my stables during Storm Ciara and the roof is still being fixed. I also don't know how happy I feel about bringing them in when it's very windy anymore, as there is another tree behind the stables that is even bigger than the one that came down. If that fell, it would flatten the stables (and ponies). But we are forecast 24 hours of heavy rain and wind on Saturday/ Sunday, so would ideally like to bring them in for a bit at least. When you're a 27 year old Arab, it's quite nice to have a break from horrendous weather! That said, they were bright and chirpy when I was feeding this evening so being out last night doesn't seem to have done them any harm.

My equine life

Visit site
Mine have been out most of the winter as my tb hates being in so fields trashed however with them being in such an exposed field with no shelter other than their duvets of rugs and the odd hawthorn tree I was forced to bring them in for storm Ciara. Looks like I’ll have to do the same next weekend. Gave my tb access to the yard so she didn’t get too stressed being in! Section of the barn roof blown off. Yard owner coming to look at it before the end of the week. To make matters worse we have had issues with rats this winter. Worst I’ve seen them. Rat man on top of it now! To add to all this.... does good quality hay exist anymore?!?! Bring on good weather, growing grass and dry fields!! I feel awful having them out in this piss and feel awful keeping them in. There’s no solution! Can’t bear watching them slip and slide about on the hill. Reasurring I’m not the only one though!!