How long did your horse/s live for?

YELLOW TORTOISE?

• Total voters

appyjude

Visit site
Sol - tb - found dead in field from snake bite at 35 (in Aus, don't worry!)
Azucar - ASH/TB - PTS following eventing accident - 10 (me in hosp for 6 mths)
Patches (i) - pinto - natural causes 27ish
Dash - appaloosa - PTS - complications from Equine Recurrent Uveitis - ashes under favorite tree 12
Beege - tbxid - PTS - Injury 10
Billy - natural causes 28 - buried in a field under some sun flowers

Bounty

www.freewebs.com
Cybele - PTS by injection last year, aged 10. She had numerous issues which cumulatively crippled her, and were degenerative in nature so would have gotten worse.

*Whispers* I had her buried.

emma_lg

Visit site
I lost my first mare, Anglo Arab - Ranee...at the age of 24...Sept 06. On the Monday I rode her in the morning. In the afternoon she started having fits. After tests, her liver was failing and it was suspected a brain tumour. No medication seemed to be helping and once her bloods were back we knew we'd lost her. On Thursday she was pts, so within 4 days I had lost her. We didnt want her to deteriorate or suffer but it was terrible.Myself and my friend who had been YM and looked after her for years stayed with her for the 4 days and slept on the yard. It took me hours to say my final goodbye. It was devastating...she was beautiful and lovely, I was honoured to have been with her. Everyone was upset that had known her. I felt like she had been taken from me far too early...she was full of life and had endless energy and looked wonderful.
She was shot and I have her ashes and various momentos as well as loads of photos...even after 11yrs now I still think about her loads and can cry within a blink of an eye.
Wish I'd had a foal from her...I regret I didnt.

I know of a welsh/arab who is about 32 yrs old, retired now but was endurance/long-distance pony...she looks fabulous and is a pushy, knows her own mind ole lady!!!

FAYEFUDGE

Visit site
I had to have my welshxconnie mare PTS at 6 yrs old.
Honey had navicular and other joint problems which left her severely lame.
The vet advised Honey be pts as she was going to get worse.
Awful decision to make for such a young horse but it was definately the kindest option.
She was PTS by injection then burried in our field.

appylass

Visit site
My appaloosa was 26. One Sunday he was giving pony rides to a friends kids and friend asked how old do horses live to. I replied mid twenties but looking at him he'll probably make 30. A week later he was PTS (shot). He 'probably' had some sort of impaction, maybe a tumour, I didn't want him put through extensive tests and investigations so will never know for sure, he didn't really suffer but just lost interest in life. I spent day and night with him for that week and the following Monday at 5 am he told me, plain as day, 'mum I've had enough'. He was buried on our farm.

ponyperson3317

Visit site
Bamboo was put down at approx 14 years old. He chipped a bone in his knee and had an operation to remove it but he had mild arthritis in the joint. After 6 weeks box rest and walking in hand the arthritis suddenly got much worse and he was in a lot of pain. He was a great competition pony and was not the sort to take to grass retirement on bute. The decision was made by the yard owner who used to own him but it was the right decision.

Rosina was pts age 6. She had a tumour in her stomach that could not be removed and caused colic-like symptoms. She was pts on the operating table. Awful loss as she was so young and a nicely bred welsh D who I had broken in and brought on myself. Still hurts to think about her and she's been gone 7 years.

AmyMay

Situation normal
Visit site
Freddy was put down at 15. He had a history of soundness issues, and had episodes of unexplained collapsing. I had him for 8 months - and in that time his quality of life improved dramatically. When it got to the stage of giving him 3 or 4 danillon a day to keep him comfortable though - I had him shot. It made me very unpopular at the yard where I kept him, but it was the right decision for this handsome, special man.

Amy May was 18. She broke down very badly in the field. She was shot and it broke my heart.

Tiffany

Visit site
I losy my beautiful TB mare when she was 21. It was very sudden and totally devastating, I am getting upset typing this even though it's almost 4 years ago. It was August Bank Holiday and when I got to the yard I noticed that my two girls weren't stood together in the field - very unusual. When I went to them I could see instantly that she wasn't right, her tummy looked bloated, her eyes looked blood shot and she didnt want to move. She also had horrible smelly breath, didn't want to drink but kept dipping her lips in water and was struggling breathing. Vet came, did an internal and said she either had a tumour or twisted gut but that it was unfair to travel her. I was beside myself but did not want to cause her any more distress or pain so we managed to walk her to another field nearer the drive where she was PTS. I stayed with her and it was a lot calmer and more peaceful than I expected but it still hurts. I owed that little mare so much and loved her to bits.
frown.gif

I remember keep saying to the vet 'but she was OK yesterday' .

tcarter

Visit site
WB 16hh- 8yrs old PTS by injection due to Navicular. It was 15years ago and I chose not to have her de-nerved. I only owned her 6mnths. It taught me a sad lesson on the risks of buying horses.

She was PTS at the vets - I regretted not being there, but had an exam that day.

Welsh pony - 14.1hh - 21yrs - owned for 16yr and had beem retired for 4yrs. She suffered from summer-time COPD and had got worst over the last few years. We tried all sorts of medication - but they were not effective and she was struggling v badly with her breathing. She was PTS at home by injection and we collected her ashes to spread on the garden (I couldn't believe how heavy the box was!).

I still really miss my pony and the desision was made harder by some of the comments from the YO - but I am a firm believer that quality of life is v important.

Honeypots

Visit site
I had my mare PTS by injection after Christmas just gone
frown.gif
. She had lymphosarcoma and was deteriorating rapidly. She was 13 yrs old...

louisewatcham

Visit site
My 23 year old mare was PTS by injection. She had pedal ostitis, a keratoma and then she bust a tendon getting up in her stable. I too was accused by fellow livery of 'killing a healthy horse'. She tried to report the vet who did it too. Apparently she thought it would have been in my mare's best interests to have 6 months box rest to get over her tendon, and then an op to have the keratoma removed, followed by another long spell of box rest
frown.gif

eriskaypony

Visit site
We lost a pony at 6 years old. In the afternoon she was fine, then when we went out say good night at about 10 no ponies were to be seen. Eventually the little welshie appears but would not come up to us. Every time we went towards him he backed off. Eventually we worked out he wanted us to follow him and he lead us through the fields down to the river where the mare was standing.

There was nothing obvious wrong, but she was just very sad, unhappy and lethargic. We got her into the steading and my wife stayed with her all night. First thing next day we called the vet, who could not diagnose the problem either.

We took her to Dick Vet Hospital (welshie went berserk when she was put in the box), after several hours of investigation they still did not know what was wrong so had to operate to find out. When they did they found she had a collpased secum, which they fixed. We saw her up in the recovery area before we left, when we left they were giving her a 60/40 chance of survival.

Next morning we got a phone call at 7:00, she had a relapse and they wanted to operate again. At this point we told the kids it was serious. Older boy (then 8, whose pony it was) wanted to go in and give blood to help her. The next call was the Dick Vet telling us that they had resolved this issue, but they felt that she should not be revived as she would just have another relapse and it would be kinder to let her slip away.

Many tears that day, but I just cannot speak too highly of the Dick Vet who were wonderful and really pulled out all the stops.

Grumpy Herbert

Visit site
I had my beloved Grump PTS by injection 3 years ago at the age of 24+. He had arthritis and was starting to struggle to get up, so I made the decision to have him PTS before it got so bad he couldn't get up. He loved to roll and lie down and I couldn't bear to see him struggle. He was beginning to lose his dignity and I hated to see that. It was very sad because he still had loads of spirit and was in good health otherwise, so would have gone on much longer. He was cremated.

Still miss the old bugger!
frown.gif

Tiffany

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I losy my beautiful TB mare when she was 21. It was very sudden and totally devastating, I am getting upset typing this even though it's almost 4 years ago. It was August Bank Holiday and when I got to the yard I noticed that my two girls weren't stood together in the field - very unusual. When I went to them I could see instantly that she wasn't right, her tummy looked bloated, her eyes looked blood shot and she didnt want to move. She also had horrible smelly breath, didn't want to drink but kept dipping her lips in water and was struggling breathing. Vet came, did an internal and said she either had a tumour or twisted gut but that it was unfair to travel her. I was beside myself but did not want to cause her any more distress or pain so we managed to walk her to another field nearer the drive where she was PTS. I stayed with her and it was a lot calmer and more peaceful than I expected but it still hurts. I owed that little mare so much and loved her to bits.
frown.gif

I remember keep saying to the vet 'but she was OK yesterday' .

[/ QUOTE ]

Forgot to say she was PTS by injection.

serena2005

Visit site
what a sad post....Suzy died when she was 36 crazy horse...i rode her one saturday and all was normal, that evening she went down with collic

we spent all night with her she eventully got some sleep on the sunday but got worse again as the night went on vet wanted permision to operate but the owner didnt get to the yard on time when she began to go crazy in her stable, no one could calm her down so she was pts by injection.

i think the owner felt bad for not being there so wanted to bury her in the field. (its disgusting)but she stayed her stable a week and it was so nice not to be rushed to say goodbye, by the end of the week we couldnt wait for her to go!

Nickijem

Visit site
Almost a year ago I had my horse Jake pts by injection after finding him with colic one Monday morning. He had appeared fine the day before but was in so much distress that it wasn't even safe or fair on him to put him in a trailer and take him to hospital.
He was 15, I'd had him for 9 years and really thought I'd got him for another 10 years at least.
I was so heartbroken.
frown.gif

106-0693_IMG.jpg

RIP Jake xxx

catembi

Visit site
Cat was PTS a year ago at the age of 11 after a very harrowing 6 month battle with Protein Losing Enteropathy (basically Crohn's Disease) which I thought we'd won.

Jenny is still going strong at 35.

Fairynuff

Visit site
Winnetu was almost 30 and had been fit and sound till the fateful day. he had to be put down due to lipoma which had strangled his bowel. It took me HOURS to convince the stupid bloody vet that there was no other choice-he suffered for 8 hours
mad.gif

jojoebony

Visit site
Ebony, Dales pony, was 13 ish. Ongoing lameness then seizures - thought to be a brain tumour. She was shot. Had been bought off the meat man 5 years earlier so the end was never too far away.

Shadow, TB was just 4. He had severe navicular and DJD - injected (never again).

Donut, 17 year old TB. Ex racer. Had several near death experiences but in the end a bad sacroilliac injury and the loss of his best mate (Shadow) brought his days to an end, he just lost the will after S was gone. He was shot.

Baggybreeches

www.photobucket.com
My old jumping pony was PTS by injection at 32. She was grey and had melanomas by her ears all her life, but in the last 4 months of her life she began to have little episodes where her co-ordination went. I was on holiday (my first abroad holiday!) and she had another fit, my mum made the decision to have her PTS, rather than let her suffer. She was a bolshy obnoxious old cow right to the end, she escaped from her stable the day before I went on holiday, and ran round the frozen field, earning me a bollocking off the YO!!!
She is buried in some woods at a site which is protected by TPO's (tree preservation order).

YorksG

Over the hill and far awa
Visit site
Filled out the poll for Nell the Appaloosa, she was about 33 and we had her for 23 years, she was bolshie all her life and wonderful, she is the spotted in my sig. She was pts by shot in November 07, we decided that it wasn't fair to put her through another winter, she was getting stiff and it was hard to keep weight on her. Her friend of 20 years was shot at 24, having gone down in her stable and was unable/didn't want to get up again. Their other friend was shot 3 years before, we weren't sure of her age, but advised by vet that she was about 40! She just became miserable and had a heart complaint. All of them were friends with each other and us. They are all still very much missed.

bexandspooky

Visit site
My first horse Zack was PTS after fracturing his pedal bone in one of his front feet. He had gone though 8 months of box rest and was still lame when he was PTS by injection. I got no end of abuse from liverys at yard for my decision, but the only alternative was to travel him for over 1 hr to bristol, operate to remove a fragment of bone, another year of box rest and only a 1 in 32 chance of success. Not fair to the poor horse I decided.

Gave him 3 days out in 10 acres of lush grazing - when i came to catch him he walked straight up to me and put his nose in the headcollar - he normally always scarpered at the sight of that! I gave him the hugest bucket of mix which took him half an hour to eat ( someone actually commented that I would give him colic...... Duh! He was gonna be dead in 15 mins!!) and as the vet arrived and walked up to him as if to say ' I'm ready'.

Got tears in my eyes now!!

D

Donkeymad

My welsh Section A mare (the grey in my siggy) was PTS by shooting aged 11 years. She had acute Grass Sickness.

__Annie__

Visit site
My pony was PTS by injection at 26 years old. We woke up to find him galloping around then throwing himself to the floor, he was covered in grazes
frown.gif
Colic is bloody awful .

My horse was PTS by injection at 30 years old. On top of a few other conditions she started haemorrhaging ( epistaxis ) which wouldn't stop
frown.gif
At least her ending was very peaceful, I'm thankful for that.

Both were cremated and their ashes are in the Cambridge pet Crematorium's gardens.

Mooch

photobucket.com
We think my old lad is in his mid 40's now, even though I have been saying he is about 39 for the last few years! lol

He is still going strong at the mo and even enjoyed taking the pee out of the vet today!