how long for bruising to go down? (rider not horse!)

chaps89

Visit site
I had a bit of an accident on saturday holding a horse for someone to change his rug when he spooked, I managed to get under the fence but he went straight through the (electrified) fence and through/over me. Cue 5 hours in a&e having my arm x-rayed.
Luckily nothing broken, just some impressive swelling/bruising. (I don't usually bruise so I'm actually a little proud of how purple my arm is!)
However on the top of my arm the swelling is 'squishy' but over the top of my elbow the swelling is very hard, and occasionally hot to touch.
I was expecting to feel very sore but other than stiffness/soreness in my arm I've been fine, I was very lucky indeed.
So, ramble over ill get to the point! Don't expect there to be any medical people in the house but suspect there's a few used to cuts and scrapes and bruises ;) How long for bruising to disappear/the aching to go do we think?
Contemplated going to my osteo but not sure there's much can be done tbh?

Toby_Zaphod

Visit site
Cold compress on the injury, bag of frozen peas wrapped in a tea towel to prevent cold burns. Keep the compress on for about 20-25 minutes, any longer doesn't make any difference. Do this several times throughout the day. Also consider taking ibroprofen tablets, an anti inflamatory, this will help the swelling go down. It's the swelling you need to reduce, the bruise will come out in its own good time.

lawa

Visit site
Get some arnica cream to help draw it out. But to be honest i had a nasty fally on my coxic about 12 months ago I was bruised for 3 months!

Happy Hunter

Visit site
I got a nice hefty kick on my thigh once - treated with Ibuprofen, Arnica, Ice and rest.
I know what you mean about the solid lump - that will be there for at least a few months yet...

The purpleness should be gone in 2-3 weeks. You'll get an impressive rainbow effect soon!!

Hope it doesn't hurt too much

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
yep, you might be in for the long haul. I got kicked above my knee which produced a big hot lump which remained for about 6 months.
Once fell between muck trailer & plinth & bruising took a good few months to come out :eek:
Horse jumped onto my foot 4 years ago and I still have what now looks like a birthmark above 2 toes, that seems to be more noticeable when I'm cold, which seems odd. Don't think that will ever go away, something strange has happened there :D

Burnttoast

Visit site
Horse jumped onto my foot 4 years ago and I still have what now looks like a birthmark above 2 toes, that seems to be more noticeable when I'm cold, which seems odd. Don't think that will ever go away, something strange has happened there :D

I've got one of those too :D

friesian76

Visit site
Everyone is different with the time takes it takes to heal but definitely get some arnica cream and also some arnica tablets so can work from inside out and well as outside in.