How long is your average schooling session?

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
I know it’s a little bit of a “how long is a piece of string?” question, and some sessions will be longer/shorter on others, but on average how long do you school for?

I always struggle to work out how long I should be working my boy for in the school. I normally aim for about 30-45 mins including warm up/cool down. He’s relatively fit, working at about prelim/novice level. I’m not really aiming to get him “fit” with schooling, but he does still need to build strength and muscle and learn to use himself properly, and if it could help a little with his fitness that would be ideal.

Does that sound about the right sort of time?

Wishfilly

Visit site
Just for comparison, mine is not that fit and pretty green in the school, so most sessions at the moment are 20-30 minutes, and I aim to end on a good note, rather than aiming for a specific amount of time. We often cool down on a hack around the fields, though.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Just for comparison, mine is not that fit and pretty green in the school, so most sessions at the moment are 20-30 minutes, and I aim to end on a good note, rather than aiming for a specific amount of time. We often cool down on a hack around the fields, though.
Thanks. Yes, I definitely try to end on a good note too! but find it helpful to set myself a timeframe so I don’t under/overdo things, as I’m liable to do one or the other... I love being able to hack for either warmup/cooldown but sadly the lack of daylight after work means we have to stick to the school during the week now :( (hence thinking about it more, as was doing a lot more hacking in the summer!)

Cob Life

Visit site
20-40 minute. If he’s good and we achieve what I’m aiming for in 20minutEd we finish then. If he’s a pain in the but we keep working until he realises being a pain in the but just makes life harder for him.

Barlow

Visit site
It’s normally 30 to 45 minutes. 45 minutes if we haven’t warmed up, and 30 if I’m coming back from a short hack which I tend to prefer (but often don’t have time for with the shorter winter days!)
Lessons are between 40 and 60 minutes depending on the instructor.

Wishfilly

Visit site
Thanks. Yes, I definitely try to end on a good note too! but find it helpful to set myself a timeframe so I don’t under/overdo things, as I’m liable to do one or the other... I love being able to hack for either warmup/cooldown but sadly the lack of daylight after work means we have to stick to the school during the week now :( (hence thinking about it more, as was doing a lot more hacking in the summer!)

Yeah, dark evenings and bad weather definitely make hacking trickier at this time of year.

It's definitely interesting to know what everyone else is doing, as well!

Bubblewrap

Visit site
Usually between 35 and 50 mins. I do a long walk warm up and cool down though. We finish when something has gone well. If this doesn't happen I just change it up to do something he knows and finds very easy, then we finish, or a little bit of in hand stuff or a little hack out round the fields, if that doesn't work. He lacks confidence so I always like to finish when he's happy. x

McFluff

Visit site
40-50 mins with a long walk warm-up (at least 15 mins), and as others have said, finishing on a good note or one of his favourite things.

Micropony

Visit site
I usually think of a schooling session as approximately half an hour. Sometimes slightly quicker if he's exceptionally good and I don't ride like a twonk, sometimes more if I have time or we get into a discussion about something, or if like today he feels like he needs to do a bit more. I try not to be too greedy when things are going well!

atropa

Visit site
Probably between 30 mins - an hour, but I always start with 10 mins walking, and end with 10 mins walking so could be only 10 minutes trot and canter work in a short session.
Eta I don't go in with a set length of time in mind, just ride until I feel we have made an improvement from the beginning of the session, however small that improvement is.

iknowmyvalue

Visit site
Good to know I’m on the same page as the rest of you! Definitely agree with ending on a good note/improvement, and sessions where he’s good tend to be a lot shorter than ones where he’s fighting me!

milliepops

Wears headscarf aggressively
Visit site
Advanced horse does 45 mins as a basic session, occasionally up to an hour if the session lends itself to a longer period (e.g. done lots in walk)

Greener ones do less depending on physical and mental ability :)

Sossigpoker

Visit site
However long it takes to achieve my aims. If the horse does what I want in 15 mins then that's enough. I wouldn't be more than 45 mins though. A short burst of good work is better than a long session of not so good work.

Mrs G

Visit site
We average about 45 mins. Ive also recently got into tracking my mileage when schooling which I find interesting (i just use strava on my phone but I’m sure there are better apps specifically for riding). I find it helps give me a target distance to aim for if I’m feeling a bit unenthusiastic!

Griffin

Visit site
About 20 minutes. If we're jumping (very rarely), it may be a bit longer for warming up and cooling down but 20 minutes is about enough for both of us.

JoannaC

Visit site
I'm about 20 minutes of actual schooling, I walk round the track first then go into the school for some trotting then out to the field for a canter before going back in the school for cantering. I mainly do it this way to stop her getting bored as we don't hack out much due to the road we live on and now can't go out all since losing my old boy as my other mare won't stay on her own.