How many £££££ is she worth, in you opinion?

BBs

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]

At the end of the day, compete the horse at the level it is physically and mentally mature for, not the level that it's age or the professionally produced horse dictates.

[/ QUOTE ]

Indeed, couldnt agree more with you. I dont think anywhere in this thread ANYONE including me have said that competing a young horse at Novice is a good thing. We are merely stating that professional produced horses dont hang around at the lower levels.
What I am trying to get across, you cannot put a price tag on a horse which maybe the same age etc as horse a professional has for sale.
I also think youll find it was Andrew Nicholson who i used as a rider who starts his horses at Novice.
And that WFP and a like including PF start at Intro or PN.

H-J

www.piczo.com
Agree totally
smile.gif

RachelFerd

www.facebook.com
I didn't think you were, I was just trying to get across that I am actually very wary of the professionally produced horse. If I had thousands of pounds hanging around, I'd probably be more inclined to spend them on the amateurs youngster than the professionals!

Also, I get the impression that AN really RIDES his horses around XC courses. He's a strong competent rider, but I want horses that take themselves around XC courses - I can't imagine getting on one of his and coaxing any kind of performance out of them.

Hornby

Visit site
Just to veer off post further - this is the difference between the professional (doing it as a job to pay their way....may be paid to ride the horse and get results or able to ask a higher price as soon as it has shown some ability at a decent level) and the amateur (enjoying their sport, perhaps wanting to keep one horse for years). I agree that professional horses are often far from straightforward ride for an amateur - in fact if anyone shows me a "professional" horse I run a mile!

Rosiefan

Visit site
If she's worth £5/6k now, think what she will be worth once you've got her going really well at Novice +. And the increase in her value will be all down to you! So well done so far and good luck.

tigers_eye

Visit site
Kind of in a similar vein to yours, yet neatly returning to the original post
tongue.gif
, I think the value of a horse that has competed at Novice BE or lower depends largely on its ridability, regardless of whether it has the potential to go up the levels or not. There are far more amateur competitors out there than pros, especially at the lower levels, and if something has loads of talent but is a complete pain in the arse, then it has a very limited market. Something like George - the lovely chesnut allrounder that Boss' sister rode last year - was probably worth more than her "serious" eventers also at Novice at the same time because of his temperament and proven ability in other spheres too. Hope she doesn't mind me using this example, it was just a good one that sprang to mind.

seabiscuit

Visit site
Well a similar example to Spider would be midnight dazzlers full brother who was offered to me for £12k as a rising 6 year old- and that was a £12k, rather difficult horse that had done nothing- not even a small competition. That was 2/3 years ago.
But it was being sold out of a professional yard however he had only been there a few weeks and I asked how much and they said £12k but he was being sold by the Lissacks.
Like Spider he also needed a lot of work and a lot of 'time', and eventually did not PN until he was 7.
So sorry guys, I will have to disagree with most of you on this thread, so purely because of Spider being a full sister to C.Q she must be worth a fair bit of dosh.

pootler

Visit site
I saw the sister of In The Purple (out of the same mare) who competed at Badminton with Lucy Wiegersma go for 2k on Horsemart as a 5 year old a couple of years ago. I actually phoned up the owner and explained about her horse's bloodlines as she didn't realise. I don't know how much she went for in the end.

H-J

www.piczo.com
Andrew Nicholson almost always takes them out as 6yr olds and Novices them straight off. There is a lot of difference in strength between a 5yr old and a 6yr old.

I know for a fact he didnt take Just Zulu out till he was a 6yr old

H-J

www.piczo.com
[ QUOTE ]
Well a similar example to Spider would be midnight dazzlers full brother who was offered to me for £12k as a rising 6 year old- and that was a £12k, rather difficult horse that had done nothing- not even a small competition. That was 2/3 years ago.
But it was being sold out of a professional yard however he had only been there a few weeks and I asked how much and they said £12k but he was being sold by the Lissacks.
Like Spider he also needed a lot of work and a lot of 'time', and eventually did not PN until he was 7.
So sorry guys, I will have to disagree with most of you on this thread, so purely because of Spider being a full sister to C.Q she must be worth a fair bit of dosh.

[/ QUOTE ]

Thank you forrest - I agree. Im not saying that is right but she is very well bred and is easy to do therefore would command a fair amount.

But I want to do it properly and have her worth from her competition results and hope to have a long eventing career in here therefore I want to tak eit slow. I think just going up to PN in April is on track.

Im sure the 5yr old PAVO classes would not be PN level if they thought 5yr olds should be definitely compeing at Novice level
tongue.gif

Thanks for all the positive comments guys
smile.gif

severnmiles

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I saw the sister of In The Purple (out of the same mare) who competed at Badminton with Lucy Wiegersma go for 2k on Horsemart as a 5 year old a couple of years ago. I actually phoned up the owner and explained about her horse's bloodlines as she didn't realise. I don't know how much she went for in the end.

[/ QUOTE ]

I saw a 3y.o out of David Greens Faerie dazzler (saw her at Saumur) go for 3k.

Personally would price Spider at 8k.

Not getting into arguments but I agree with DD and BB's too. T_E has a good point, there are far more amateurs out there than pros and also the pros will always be able to find serious potential to bring on.

Is Spider out of the same mare as CQ?

Molineux

Visit site
A friend of mine had a very nice horse which was 4 when she got him and paid not very much for him at all, she did a few Intro's and then went onto Pre Novice he was getting placed every time and was ranked 4th in the country for the Intro thing they do for Young horses (Not sure of the name LOL!).
Anyway she sold him to someone in America and they paid £12,500 for him
smile.gif

sw123

Visit site
Depends who you're selling to.... With her breeding and family history spider would go to America for £££ especially if a straightforward ride. If you went through someone like Susie Pragnell even more so.

Here in the H&H again using family connection you could def advertise for £12k once she's done a PN if it goes well probably £15k as a quietly produced novice event horse wtih nice breeding.

By the end of the year 5yo's have either been made or broken i'd say. We had one who had 12 points by the end of his 5th year having been placed at burghley and pavo as a 4yr old. He also went well at both of those as a 5yo but just out the placings. He was for sale for £25k. Didn't sell as wasn't hugely pushed as owners happy to keep him for this spring. But this spring he's come out and not wanted to play. His OPN record this season is fab but went novice again and he didn't want to know....now he has Retired by his name so again nothing terrible.

So could probably still sell for £18 or so but its depreciating as he's with a professional and not about to go intermediate! Whether he's not keen on going novice this year because he did too much last year is a much debated topic. He found the novices he did last year easy - hence the points and wasn't forced round them. However whether overall it was too much for him we'll never know.

He's having a break now and will either be sold or come back later in the year to have another go.

Difficult one.

ElleJS

Visit site
I would say you would get 9-10k for her, as she is easy a young rider or JRN person would be interested in her.

Artois

Visit site
I think she looks lovely

I have noticed that horses are differently priced in different regions and depends on the demand for them (different times of years)

I personally think you could easily get more than £10k - the right time - the right buyer etc

A friend of mine who is pregnant sold her 5yo that had massive potential for in excess of £40k
and that hadnt jumped bigger than newc, but the buyers saw her full potential

9cheese1

Visit site
I have no idea about eventing so Im not going to comment but just to say to all posters, I really enjoyed reading this post!!

Always_late

Visit site
BBs, told you I would stand corrected! Perfectly clear on the order of BE events thankyou - brain fogged but not that badly. Very interesting info on Pippa though - thanks for that and I will put the waggling tongues right when I see them next time. Might nip down to the Portman to watch PF, haven't competed on that course so could do with a recce - is a good course? what does it go up to? Has anyone else noticed there aren't many venues offering ON classes this year - oh more travelling to the ends of the earth! We don't ever seem to spot PF around the the eventing circuit though - always see WFP, DD, L&CF, OT. Thats why I thought it was plausible when I was told that Pippa doesn't ride Novice and below - that other people brought her horses up to Advanced and then she took over the ride. Just goes to show, shouldn't believe all we hear!
Regards

BBs

Visit site
My apologise A_L I read your post to read you didnt know.... You speak to ppl who dont understand eventing, you mention Novice and they immediately think small fences... Like im doing a novice hunter trial on Sunday, but thats 2'6 where as you konw how big BE Novice is
crazy.gif
grin.gif

Interesting you say about ON being few and far between. I had the same problem with a horse who has won 2 PNs we had to run at OPN level. I struggled to find the logic why if a venue was running PN why they couldnt put in an OPN section as well.

I reported a lot the year I didnt event much and asked the organisers why they didnt do so, it was suprising how many didnt even realise.
The venues I had a grumble at, now run OPN sections - and they are ALWAY filled, just like I expect ON sections would be.

Oh look out for Del and Pippa hes super horse, and fabulous SJer! he is the nicest horse I think I have EVER met, soppy sod.

Havent been to Portman, but def a venue I would travel too, ive only heard good things, esp after last years fence overhaul.